Once & Future March 2019 Release

Just had my worst wine shipping experience ever…none of which was Once & Futures fault. Just want to give a shout-out to Erika at Once & Future for providing fantastic customer service. Love wineries with good people.

More props to Erika and the O&F team, as they quickly Replaced my corked 15 Mataro as soon as I mentioned it was flawed. Good peeps for sure!

I’ll pile on, Erika is first class for sure

I was reading about the use of redwood tanks in the older days by the Martini family of Sonoma Mountain’s “Monte Rosso Vineyard”, and decided to share it here. Mr Joel Peterson is one of the few winemakers who still utilizes old redwood fermentation tanks these days (as does Mr Ryan Stirm at his eponymous winery).

GuildSomm website
“Legacy in Flux: The Louis M. Martini Winery Through Time”

by Kelli White

“…The redwood story is a bit more dramatic. ‘I simply couldn’t get my family out of redwood,’ Mike explains. ‘Redwood excretes a creosote into the wine and actually strips something out of the wine like a fining agent.’ He organized multiple tastings that showed the clear effect of redwood, and even conscripted outside experts like Tony Soter and André Tchelistcheff to weigh in against the wood, but his father would not be swayed. Feeling that drastic action was required, he waited until his father went on vacation and then ordered all 1.2 million gallons worth of redwood tanks removed…”.

Perhaps the elder Martini knew something that the others did not, at least with respect to why the family’s red wines from the 1930’s and '40s showed well decades later…?