Ooni Discussion

Which steel did you get?

My kid brother put in an outdoor kitchen this summer. My gift to him was the Koda. We broke it in last night. What a fantastic machine. I’ve ordered one for myself… Having cast iron to put in here is a must. We cooked off some Italian sausage, mushrooms, and red onions. didn’t take long at all.

The pizza technique is one he will enjoy building the ‘touch’ to master. We used Trader Joe’s pre-made dough. It’s adequate (lacks dept of flavor) but we will be working on our own dough this week.

he’s doing to drop a Flannery in SV and then pan sear and then cook a smaller Flannery from raw in a C.I. Pan to compare the results and temp control.

Ooni has a winner here. We modified the device to take a feed from his nat gas pipes he had put in and we had it on for 90 straight minutes.

This is a must have outdoor device if you like the option of what a 900 degree oven can give you as a cook.

Two very enthusiastic thumb’s up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-Steel-Pizza-Plate-3-8-x-13-x-13-Rounded-Corners-Fits-UUNI-3-Oven/323775799920?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Used the Koda 16 again tonight (in the drizzle, not ideal) for the 1st time with the NG hookup. Fired the 1st margherita pie (perfectly) at 740deg, took it inside and grabbed the next peel, which was pepperoni and I guess had been sitting a bit too long when being made on the peel without a shake, as I fired it into a pile of crap. Pepperoni everywhere on the burner, everything catching fire - what a mess.
Rain, now pouring off my makeshift umbrella cover, down my back while trying to salvage something (maybe try to make a panzerotti?). Nope.
Went inside cursing and we sat eating 1 great pizza and some salad.

Oh man, I feel your pain. When there’s a problem getting it off the peel things go pearshape quickly. I’m screaming at my wife for help, like she’s going to somehow magically make the mess inside a 900 degree oven go away. I think it just takes some practice. I’ve also learned that when the dough sticks you can lift an edge and blow under the pie to loosen it.

gotta keep it moving. Learned the hard way too

And thoughts on this oven?

man i want one is my thought

It sure sounds good. And a pretty slick video. Maybe a little too good.

Too small, they make it seem huge but for that $$ the whole oven is only 24 inches wide?

Just had my 16" Koda delivered.
First pie, 60% hydration, 6 hours from mixer to oven…Was very good. I was thrilled

Second pie, made the next day. Dough far easier to work with than day 1 dough. But, I think I didn’t give the deck enough time to heat and b/c of it when I went to give the pie a pivot to move the back left corner of it away from the main heat and do a 1/4 turn…I ripped it…what a flipping mess that makes.

Day 3 (today) dough even easier to work with and smells like beer when I open my dough box…160 gram ball made a perfect 9" pie with just cheese. Lasted about 2 minutes on the cutting board with the kid home…

Using a lodge cast iron square I made nachos with the heat on low…great use of the device.

Cheese, olive oil and shaved garlic seems to be the consensus favorite in our house. I’ve been making dough with five cups of flour lately. There’s four of us and usually no leftovers.

26913C4A-1C33-4451-B908-36849F376CEE.jpeg
BBQ chicken pizza. Really turned out well.
Need to work on my turn speed. I had a blow out last night because the bottom hadn’t set so I’m a bit gun shy to turn too quickly. But I have more dough cold fermenting so I’ll likely make one a day this week to get some techniques down.

First batch was a 60% hydration. The one cold fermenting now is a 65%.

Re: turning… You’d think they’d be able to make a circular pizza stone that was turnable.

A few people have already, using Rotisserie motors from underneath.

Wow, that’s exactly what I want. I’d consider doing it once my warranty expires. Wish they’d sell something like that from Ooni.

Anyone try something like this?

1098A69E-DFE1-4A0C-BB91-86AD7FFCE6F7.jpeg
Lunch. Turn every 15 seconds.

Was last of 60% dough
65% will be on 48th hour tomorrow for lunch.

Hoping (assuming) I get more spring due to more water converting to steam?? Am I thinking of This accurately?

1 Like

Nice looking pie Chris. Learning curve on these appears to be pretty quick. I haven’t burned a pie in ages, unless I raise it up on the peel to finish the top and hold it there for more than a few seconds or so. It must be super hot in those top few inches of space near the ceiling of it

Just purchased a Frya on their 20% off special. Pretty stoked to try it (in 4 months when it gets delivered) lol