Open great wines for fun or occasions only

To me, great wines are the occasion, and I always share them with people who will appreciate them.

Any day above ground is a good day for fine wine.

Best,

N

Another +1 here.

I used to be the guy who saved his gems for “some future special occasion”, but I’m loosening up quite a bit.

I still get uncomfortable hearing about 3 year old G.C. burg with chili. I used to get angry, but now I just realize that it’s not my money.

Kinda like getting mad at the bad player at the blackjack table. It makes no sense. It’s not my money.

If they’re sitting in the last chair it might very well be your money - and everyone else’s at the table - when they hit on a 15 with the dealer showing a 6. [head-bang.gif]

Dennis, This is a very common logical fallacy.

Assuming a random shuffle; who’s to say that their splitting of 10’s doesn’t lead to your getting five blackjacks in a row? It’s a butterfly effect. You have now way of knowing if their bad play helps you or hurts you. People just tend to notice it more when it hurts them. You might as well get mad at the person who put the cut card in a certain place on the deck.

Of course, all the wine you own is an occasion, Alan!

I’m with the chorus here in general, except that I will admit that I am more likely to open better bottles on the weekends than on weeknights as a overall/general proposition. Not necessarily at big social event kinds of things (I agree that great wines can get lost at those), but more likely on a weekend dinner at home, or the two of us or maybe with a few friends at a restaurant.

I have a 7 and a 10 year old and I work a regular job, so while we have wine most nights and don’t limit ourselves to inexpensive wines on weeknights, I’m less likely to open a $60+ wine on a Monday-Thursday than I am on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

Ditto
And every day can be an occasion.

I just realized I have not cooked a roast chicken for ten years, so this weekend it will be roast chicken and Saxum for Saturday evening

I usually have no problem opening my prized wines after I have just about drunk too much.

Where’s the “Like” button when you need one?

+3

Most of the reason for not opening the wines in my cellar is that they are too young and I know they will disappoint compared to a few years down the road (2011 Rhys for example). Once they are ready to go, the only real requirement is knowing that I have enough time to drink and enjoy the wine with minimal interruptions.

Since I never drink more than a glass of wine during an ordinary dinner at home with my wife (and she’ll drink half a glass), the Coravin has allowed me to justify pouring great wine for just the two of us. While I’m not pouring any super-expensive wines (no Giacosa red-labels, no Bordeaux first growths, no Vogue Musigny, etc.), I am pouring plenty of mature super seconds, Giacosa white labels, Jadot grand cru, etc.

-Ben

Easy choice for me: “You will open any wine anytime you feel in the mood, midweek SQN with ribs” Upon discovery, 57% agreed which seems to support the passion about wine for each individual. Sharing wine is also paramount for me.

Any day that ends with a y is a good day for me.

Would much rather open great wines with great people than at great events. If you cant afford to drink it you shouldn’t buy it.

Good one Charlie. I only wish I had thought of that.

Amen to that.