Orange wine

Well… I make a distinction between orange wines (which describes a color) and the broader range of skin-contact whites (which may or may not have an orange color). BobbyStuckey, in his new book on Friuli (an outstanding read), uses the term “Vini Macerati”, which I particularly like. Not to be confused with Maserati, which has 4 wheels and goes fast.
It’s a fascinating genre of white wine. The skin-contact can sometimes be so prolonged that the phenolic character dominates and obliterates any varietal character. But these wines can oftentimes age into something incredible. They invariably need food with them and be served at room temperature to ameliorate the tannins, not at white wine temperatures.
In Calif, the ViniMacerati of Ryan/RymeCllrs and JimCowan are some of my favorites.
Tom

Borderline, huh? So, not all skin contact whites are orange wines?

Not sure if there is any type of defined difference between “skin contact white” and “orange” wine. I can say that there are many excellent skin fermented white wines coming out of Sonoma County. They are delicious, age well and are great with tough food pairings.

Tom

Of course not. If that were the case, many classic German Rieslings and New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs along with many other white wines would be orange wines.

Just as a wine that has seen 2 days of maceration with red grape skins most likely isn’t considered a red wine.

There isn’t, “skin contact white”, “orange wine” and “amber wine” are used interchangeably almost everywhere. This forum is one of the few places where I’ve seen people use “skin contact whites” exclusively for wines normally considered as orange wines, and “orange wines” for wines that are orange-colored, no matter if they actually have seen skin contact or not.

I opened a 1998 Gravner BREG for a bunch of wine geeks last year. The wine changed throughout the night. There was fruit and herbs but there was also a whole lotta other stuff going on. It was challenging but also very rewarding.

I love Robert Sinskey’s orange wine “Orgia”. Pinot Gris.