Oranges

orange you gonna tell us more?

Here is the blurb from the Amazon page. It’s been a few decades since I read the book, but I remember enjoying it (and that’s about it…). A common reaction is “I can’t believe I read a book and oranges, and that I really liked it.” You can use the “Look Inside” feature on the Amazon page to get a taste of it.

A classic of reportage, Oranges was first conceived as a short magazine article about oranges and orange juice, but the author kept encountering so much irresistible information that he eventually found that he had in fact written a book. It contains sketches of orange growers, orange botanists, orange pickers, orange packers, early settlers on Florida’s Indian River, the first orange barons, modern concentrate makers, and a fascinating profile of Ben Hill Griffin of Frostproof, Florida who may be the last of the individual orange barons. McPhee’s astonishing book has an almost narrative progression, is immensely readable, and is frequently amusing. Louis XIV hung tapestries of oranges in the halls of Versailles, because oranges and orange trees were the symbols of his nature and his reign. This book, in a sense, is a tapestry of oranges, too―with elements in it that range from the great orangeries of European monarchs to a custom of people in the modern Caribbean who split oranges and clean floors with them, one half in each hand.

I love Cara Cara oranges and also Blood Oranges!

Seeing all the love here for the Sumos, looks like I’ll be trying those next time I go to the store.

Forget those exotics… navels, in season… around now… well selected (heavy in hand) from a good source. Pure heaven. Similar for red grapefruit (not an orange so I mispost I know)

1 Like

Have you tried them ?

Sumo is my favorite. Been trying to source a tree for 3 years.

1 Like

I’m an old timer. White, seeded Duncan grapefruit for me

My 3 year old Chicago “seedling”. Almost ready to head back outside
2B3983DE-238D-4659-ADAE-8FE7D26320A4.jpeg

Bury some Sumos and add water . Problem solved .

Ha yes, to many if not all. But I am a NYer… superior to many in many ways (fire away) but not to SoCcaliforn’s for produce… I get the best of what I can… but it is only so good.

There are actually reports of success in growing sumo trees from seed.

The hard part is finding a seed; they are only found in about 1% of the fruit.

Fair enough . I’m in the NY Metro area too. I am going to a good store later so will buy a “regular” orange too.

Perfect Timing: Article on the Sumo!!

they are seedless. Occasionally there is a seed but rare.

With a few notable exceptions. NJ sweet corn…mmmmmm.

I was joking !!

Ha yes, NY sweet corn too when is season. And Long Island tomatoes… heirlooms… for that in season nanosecond…

Does anyone have finger limes? I have trouble knowing when they are ready

I have finger limes, but I don’t grow them. They’re usually ready when the clamshells arrive😁
EF3D41D8-B159-4E83-9F60-6377E609498A.jpeg

Envious! Duncan grapefruits are my absolute favorite, but so hard to find. I used to order them from Mixon’s in Bradenton Florida, but I’m not sure they sell them anymore.

Another Sumo fan here - yes they’re expensive, but not available for very long so I splurge when they’re here.

For apples, a new variety for me this year has been Wild Twist and it’s great. Very crisp, sweet but with an underlying tartness that keeps it from being too cloying.

I’ve gotten Duncans 2 of the last 3 years from Hollianna Groves. I didn’t see them this last year.

https://www.hollieanna.com/duncan.php