Oregon Vine Density?

Tasting the 2015 Cameron Clos Electrique Rouge I was struck by its modest alcohols for such a warm vintage. Clos Electrique is a lower elevation, West facing vineyard. John Paul, the vineyard owner and winemaker at Cameron told me that the vines at CE have leaf roll virus and he feels that it helps moderate sugar accumulation in hot years keeping the wines in balance.

1 Like

I would argue that a lot of Oregon vineyards are planted at too high of a density. This creates overly vigorous vines which can lead to fruit quality problems with low phenolic ripeness, low sugar accumulation, and high malic acid ratios. Here is a pretty good resource from Oregon State University talking about vine balance and planting density. Another great resource is “Sunlight into Wine” by Dr. Richard Smart.

https://grapes.extension.org/vine-balance-and-the-role-of-vineyard-design/

My own picking decisions aside, I wasn’t aware that we had problems with low phenolic ripeness and low sugar accumulation here in Oregon.

1 Like

Oh I think this is a throw back to the 70s/80s/90s. The climate has changed a lot since then. We focus on temps. and growing season quite a bit, but I also recently read a climate study that shows less cloud cover in the past 20 years (remember the “marine layer” that used to blanket the Valley until midday? more and more a rare occurrence in the summer months)….