Oregon Winery Recommendations

Good list. Is that all for a single day? If so that may end up being a fairly tight schedule, especially if you like to take your time with a producer and engage and talk extensively with them about their wines.

1 Like

One tucked in the next AM. The rest in a single day (but basically two pairs of wineries right next to each other, e.g. 5 min apart). Am grateful how the scheduling was able to come together.

you would likely be able to taste Hope Well if you visited Bethel Heights, they sell the Hope Well wines through their website since she is a Casteel. Also always worth trying to schedule a visit with Patricia Green or Kelley Fox, especially if you are in Ribbon Ridge. Finally, Big Table’s Atelier is open for tastings again (it is also Claire’s art studio), but I dont know if they will ever do visitors to the farm anymore?

Unfortunately, I just heard from Mimi @ Hope Well. She took a bit of a hit due to smoke taint wiping out most of her 2020 crop (leaving only tiny amounts of white and rose). Accordingly, she sounds like a one person show right now working the growing season and does not have the capacity to do any tastings.

For anyone interested in supporting her in a little way (as no one can replace a whole lost crop) here is the link to buy direct from her:
https://www.hopewellwine.com/shop/
10% discounts on 6 and 12 packs
Generous (free) shipping policy as well

A few interesting options to be had! I am in for a “Three Children of 2019” which is an interesting project, with one lot of grapes made into a light rose, deep rose and barrel aged pinot. Also in for a “Strings” Pinot Noir, a Chardonnay Riesling, and the 2018 Chardonnay. The 2018 Chardonnay was reviewed by Vinous/Josh Raynold for 95 points.

The visit was the highlight of our trip. The other places visited were Beaux Freres, Lingua Franca, Kelley Fox, Eminent Domaine, Purple Hands and Ayoub. The Rose & Arrow were across the board better. R&A also bottles a bubbly that I believe is from France and it too was very nice.

1 Like

Kelly fox, Violin & Franney Breck

I used to name all the new wineries, the coolest places with buzz. After years of doing so, when people come to Oregon, I often suggest the classics. They have been around this long for a reason. Domaine Drouhin, Bethel Heights, Brickhouse. These places don’t make bad wines. But I know sometimes we are seeking a new experience.

1 Like

Headed to McMinnville late next week and have the following scheduled for the week after.

Domaine Drouhin
Belle Pente
Goodfellow
Chehalem
Shea

I know very little about Willamette Valley wines so looking forward to these visits. I also hope to visit other winery tasting rooms in McMinnville. Full-time RV life has been very good to us.
champagne.gif

1 Like

Evesham Wood. Probably the best Chardonnay I have tasted from the US in a long time. See my post:https:/
/www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=181179

1 Like

I hit Kelley Fox, Goodfellow, and Patricia Green 2 weekends ago with my not-very-wine knowledgeable family and had a great time. Great hosts all around. Had a blast before it got hot.

1 Like

Surprised no one has mentioned Bergstrom. Did I miss its mention?

I’m heading there in August, thanks for the recommendation!

I had an Ayoub Pinot the other day. First time drinking one. Liked it so much I ordered a mixed case to try his other wines. I believe his tasting room is his home kitchen?

Returned earlier this month after a week in the area and three full days of tastings. Our top three (of 11 total) tastings were #1 Ayoub (Mo offered either his deck overlooking the vineyard or in his quaint family room; given the heat, we opted for the family room couch); #2 EIEIO (don’t let the $500 tasting fee scare you; worth every penny and Jay will apply the fee toward your wine purchase); #3 Violin (a real ‘sleeper’ in an all-star line up; Will was somewhat understated and let his wines do the talking…which came through loud and clear for us!). Six-plus cases ordered from these three producers alone. Total of 14 cases for the trip waiting to be shipped when a good weather window opens later this year. Overall, we met some great people and had a very successful/fun trip (despite the heat)!

$500 tasting fee at EIEIO?

Yes. You pay up front. It sounds off-putting, however, it includes an amazing charcuterie spread and when we left, Jay gave us all of the leftovers, including the remains of every bottle he opened for the tasting (if I did my math correctly, the value of the open bottles of wine was ~$400). Plus, the $500 we paid up front was applied to the wine we purchased. We were a bit hesitant too, but in the final analysis, were really happy to include EIEIO in our tasting itinerary. Highly recommend!

They have an interesting business model. Years ago I received as a gift a giant and very ornate bottle of their pinot noir, maybe a double magnum? It came with a card that explained I could refill the wine in the future by just paying the price of four bottles of whatever the current release was. I kept the empty bottle for quite some time, but never did get around to going back there to refill it.

Posted my trip report here: July 2021 Oregon Trip Report - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Unfortunately received the email tonight that Hope Well is now shutting down.

Mo Ayoub does tastings at his house, sometimes in the kitchen but also on his back deck or living room, depending on how many groups are there and the outside weather. The house is not large, so it is a very intimate and cozy experience. His winery is where you would expect a garage to be, but it is not your “standard” two car garage.

1 Like