Pacific NW Cabs/blends vs California - at the $50 price point

Aside from the ones mentioned above Armstrong winery makes awesome Cabs (and one of the best Cab Francs I had in US)

Meh ,in my opinion,tried several times.jmho

DeLille…great Bordeaux blend, D2, is well under $50, the Quintessence is too, a BDX buy especially if you appreciate Malbec. There’s a 4 Flags Cab that’s excellent as a “Cab” and if you’re in their Club (a very good value) it’s just under $50.
However their Best Buy (wine?) is their white Bordeaux, Chaleur Blanc. Try it…

If you go a tad farther south, I think Clos Apalta Petit Clos is great and a great QPR.

Slightly off topic PSA… full pull paul bought a ton of older seven Hills wines when they cleared out their remaining inventory, old Riesling, cab, merlot BDx blends… he’s offering them at random theory HH offers and in store pick up… picked up a ‘02 Ciro du Cheval… cork was pristine, wine was still holding deep ruby/ purple, hasn’t reached full on secondary notes but just about there… wine has 20 more years and if you are a Washington fan, run don’t walk and pick some up… $29.99…

Cassis, cassis, cassis, little blueberry, touch cocoa on the nose. Great fruit and balance on the palate with a long finish, would like to see in 10 years. Well worth the coin, I’ll be getting more and I don’t like Washington wines a ton…

Pretty comprehensive list of suggestions here.

I’d reinforce:

Quilceda Creek Columbia Valley Red Wine (CVR). Previously knows as Quilceda Creek Red Wine. Great juice for the price.
DeLille Cellars D2. Usually priced in the high 30s at Costco. Bargain for the price.
Cadence and Andrew have never disappointed.

Others I didn’t see mentioned or missed:

DeLille Four Flags. Usually priced in the high 40s at Costco but higher outside.
Abeja
The Walls. Many offerings. All good. Some in this price point. Owner is a former colleague.

Cheers,
H

1 Like