Pairing for crab cakes?

We go champagne, but any crisp white should be good. I don’t usually go with any heat when I make them. The only spice is old bay, so a lot of celery salt in that blend. If I want to offer heat, it’s done with the remoulade.

From your list Muscadet or Sancerre, way ahead of any of the other options for me. I would want need acidity and not sugar.

I had a sashimi crab cake last night made of blue crab, hamachi and some citrus. Paired it with a Trimbach Pinot Blanc, wife went with a basic NZ Sav Blanc. Both really nice pairings.

The crab cakes were excellent. I believe she used a slice of white bread, torn up in little bits, and just enough mayo and egg to keep them together. Pan fried in a little butter. Just sweet lumps of blue crab, barely held together. The Champage was very dry and a little tart with faint red fruits, orange rind and savory spices. They worked pretty well together but I would try something different next time, and perhaps tomorrow with the remaining two. I am not sure if it was the rose part or the extra brut part that may have detracted slightly for me. Perhaps the Falmet would have been a better choice. I think a good Sancerre or trocken Riesling with some lime or citrus notes might work well, too.

I love crab cakes and off-dry Chenin blanc works very well with them. A good Condrieu isn’t too shabby, either. All the various iterations of Chardonnay, too, from Chablis to a more tropical version, like some of Kalin’s Chardonnays.

For the future…I really like St. Joseph Blanc. There’s a richness to it and it brings out the sweetness in the meat. Glad you had a good pairing!!

In Baltimore, those of in the know insist on a Riesling kabinett, killer with donnhoff or willi Schaefer, and an aj adam feinherb could be quite fine as well (and of course the crab cake cannot have anything in it but a touch of breading, mayonnaise, and old bay seasoning)…

Chablis and Muscadet came to mind before I even opened the thread. Beyond those, I’d not hesitate to go with Vouvray or Champagne.

Basically, I’d be looking for a crisp white that’s not too rich.

We opened a 2014 Picq Dessus la Carriere Chablis tonight to go with two left over crab cakes and a roasted beet salad. The wine was young and taut, with high acidity, unripe pineapple and citrus. Lots of oyster shell and saline. It also went well with the crab cakes. I liked the Chablis pairing a little more than the rose Champagne.

I am supposed to have crabs again Wednesday. If we have leftovers, and I am not sick of crab, I’ll try another pairing or two. Maybe Vouvray or Sancerre.

Fixed.

No mention of dry Rose???

Conceivably from Provence, or somewhere Mediterranean, especially including Greece??

What’s the matter with you all?

Especially if there’s any spicy heat involved.

Otherwise, I’m good with dry or dry-ish Riesling, Chablis, Savennieres, Hunter Valley Semillon at 10 years of age &&&.

Sorry, I’m not good with red.

Dan Kravitz

Agreed . . .