Paris Dining Line-up

Thanks, Tom. Our agent (Just France) is working on it for us. One of services they offer as part of the rental (they will make 25+ restaurant reservations for us). If anyone is looking for Paris (all of France, actually) apt/house/chateau lodging, they are just great!

On the same note, we used Paris Perfect to rent an apartment and I would recommend them highly. We also used a “concierge” (recommended by Paris Perfect) to set up our dinner reservations (including Frenchie) and she did a fabulous job. She was also helpful in narrowing down our long list of restaurants and recommending ones that my wife had not researched. The only suspect meal we had was the one restaurant that she told us to avoid, but we insisted on going anyway. Her name is Lisa Burros (www.YourParisExperience.com).

BTW - our meal at Fontaine de Mars was excellent. It was a beautiful evening, with a terrific table outside. we enjoyed it very much. Frenchie was terrific as well.

Was at Spring last Saturday, superb.

You have to be flexible as there are no choices. I was disappointed when the main was pigeon, turned out to be the first pigeon I liked (after having a few over the last few years).

But it’s the fresh take on market cuisine and David’s inventiveness that makes things so great. Pickled Chanterelles for example.

Today we booked Spring for dinner. On October 26…

Recently returned from Paris and enjoyed my dinner at Fish. Bartender (from DC) was great, as my Hotel told me our reservation was for 9:00 when we showed up and found our table given away, since reservations are not taken after 8:30. Sat at the bar with a nice glass of red for me and a glass of Champagne (both gratis) for my spouse and were seated within 15 minutes. Nice food and interesting Southwest French wines. Second the favorable comments on L’Ami Jean which I have been to several times. Get the rice pudding (served family style) which is unbelievable, and I don’t even like rice pudding. Also suggest Bistro Paul Bert. My wife and I also like Robert and Louise (casual bistro) where EVERYTHING (unique in Paris) is prepared on a wood burning stove. The place to go for steak/frites when (or if) you are tired of pretty food.

Happy to report that Spring was a hit last week. The setting is awesome, nice mix of old world stone walls, wood truss ceilings and modern touches of glass, stainless steel and light woods. Very small place with truly open kitchen, where we were sitting we were 5’ from the pastry chef so no surprises for dessert!
Service was perfect, food was sublime - from memory fois gras, duck confit ravioli, greens in a broth which was much, much better than it sounds. Unbelievable lamb dish and much more. Wine service was spot on topped with a white from Jura for 35 euros after spending much more on some white burgs from list.
Didn’t realize that the chef behind restaurant is from Chicago and most of the staff is English. Made communication much easier but as I was sitting there, realized I could have been anywhere in the world.
Highly recommended for the scene, the food and the service. They have a wine bar next door with a small wine shop. They also have a wine club and ship worldwide. http://wine.springparis.fr/p/wine-club.html. Anybody a member?

I also enjoyed Spring & have a few I’d like to add for those who have future trips to Paris on their mind…

Restaurant Itineraries (on left bank, just opposite Ile Saint Louis, at 5 rue de Pontoise, not far from La Tour d’Argent)
Le Comptoir (Easier to get a table if you stay at their charming hotel Relais Saint Germain)
We also enjoyed grazing at the Frenchie wine bar across from the restaurant & had a fun, very late dinner at Le Chateaubriand (129, avenue Parmentier)

Heading to Paris tomorrow for a week as the trains from Amsterdam were cancelled today due to a strike in Belgium. Just received a recommendation for Ze Kitchen Gallerie in the 6th. Anyone here have any experience?

We have rezzies at Les Papilles, L’Ami Jean, and Fish (La Boissonnerie), and are on the waiting list for Yam’tcha. Frenchie is impossible, but perhaps lunch at the wine bar? Really looking forward to our return to Paris, which will be after Normandy and Beaune.

Cheers,
Andrew

Anybody been to le Reminet (mentioned above) recently? Haven’t gone in 3 - 4 years, but it was very good.

We have Sping, Le Coq Rico, Atelier Maitre Albert lined up, oh and a lunch at Taillevent, can’t wait!!.

We’ve been here for two weeks so far. I’m pretty much staying away from long ipad posting on Internet boards during our trip, but saw Andrew’s dining lineup and thought I’d chime in. Ate at Fish last night and was underwhelmed. It isn’t in the same class as Les Papilles or L’Ami Jean. I believe they have a different chef at Fish since we were there last Oct. My octopus salad was so-so and my lamb chop was good, but the accompanying belly was inedible. Disappointing after having enjoyed it in the past.

So far this visit we’ve had better dinners at Mon Vieil Ami (which was a pleasant surprise, as I usually find it boring), L’Ami Jean, which we love and will return twice more this trip, Le 'Violon d’Ingres, Passage 53(!), Septime(!), La Regalade, Verjus(!), and Le Timbre. Market was ok for a change of pace, as was Paul Bert for traditional bistro. In the same price range as Fish, of the above I’d go to Mon Vieil Ami, Le Timbre, La Regalade. For a little more cost but an exponentially better meal, I’d go to Septime (we will repeat next week) or Verjus (both are tasting menu only). And while it has its share of reasonable detractors, we are always treated well at Allard and their roast Poulet de Bresse for two was perfect last week (even though they didn’t have girolles or ceps, only roast potatoes. The potatoes, roast with the chicken are delicious). Passage 53 is a great restaurant, discovery menu only (as are Septime and Verjus) and we loved our dinner there. Expensive, but worth it. The entire Passage 53 team is doing a smash up at Melisse in Nov and we will probably go my waistline and wallet can afford the tariff after 6 weeks of NYC/London/Paris dining. Brasserie Thoumieux is still the most beautiful brasserie in Paris, and we enjoyed our dinner there, but have grown tired of the menu, which doesn’t seem to change. Comment’s Violon d’Ingres is always very good and market driven. Patty ate the freshest, simplest, and most delicious scallops, while I had game pie and grouse. I like the place a lot, but it is becoming expensive.

The best thing we had at Fish last night was '10 Gonon St Joseph for €50, although Patty liked her salmon. I know that people like it there, perhaps because the staff are English speaking (although our waitress seemed to be only conversant in Japanese and neither English nor French), but I think there are so many better choices here. And not limited to the few we’ve visited in the past two weeks.

Our recent week in Paris included dinning at some good places, many near our hotel in the Latin Quarter as it was raining most of our stay. Winners included:
Brasserie Lipp
Le Chardenoux des Pres
Restaurant le Comptoir du Relais
We ventured back to La Fontaine de Mars for our cassoulet fix

Although we did not go this visit, Mon Viel Ami has been gold for us as it was for Mark [above]. That`s also true for La Rôtisserie du Beaujolais, a sister to La Tour d’Argent across the street.

Our restaurant experiences in the Montmartre have been horrible. We only go since friends set it up as they have for the past 3 years. Never again. Avoid La Mere Catherine. I do not remember the names of the others, but they`re all on the same street and most feature prix fixe menus with plonk house wine.

Now, we`re back in Amsterdam and also dinning well. Who would have thought it?

Very limited menu at Frenchie wine bar. All dishes are tapas sized and, imho, not worth jostling for standing space in that crowded bar, especially with unlimited number of excellent sit-down bistros all over the city.

Thank you Mark and Ramon for your input!

Andrew

Merci beaucoup to you all; this has been a terrific start for us as we plan a trip in the Spring. I have not been to Paris since 1977; can’t wait!

We had a wonderful time and I will try to post dining, etc. notes before year-end!

Thanks everyone,
Andrew

Hey Andrew; where are the notes? [cheers.gif]

Going in May

Neal:

[oops.gif] I have no excuse other than diner/writer’s block. I started them and need to get them done. Thanks for the nudge!

Andrew

We could use the help! WAY too many choices.