Paso Robles 2021

when i think elegant i do picture Russel From.

champagne.gif

while i am not ashamed to admit i enjoy his wines, i don’t think they can be described as elegant.

The better wineries(and better experiences) are by appointment only these days. There are still a lot of wineries that do not require appointments but it is not the same experience.

It seems that way. The only experience I’m looking for is a knowledgeable staff and good wines. I’m not too interested in the minutiae of dirt and winemaking details. The ones with higher fees and excessive time allotments are sliding off our list which is still to many wineries to possibly taste at.

The good thing - there is no shortage of wineries that you can still visit without appointments and without ‘bells and whistles’. I understand where you are coming from - as I said above, they are trying to justify higher tasting costs by giving folks ‘more’, which in most cases means ‘individualized tastings’ with additional information. If that’s not what you’re looking for, you’ll probably just have to skip some of the ‘board faves’ and move towards some of the 200+ other wineries there champagne.gif neener [snort.gif]

Cheers.

1 Like

I’m not sure I agree, the last Paso “experience” was $40 a tasting for 4 wines presented by a senior in college from SLO. While she was very nice and polite, it took 45 minutes for her to recite her schpiel, and quite frankly taught me nothing. It was a nice setting in a multi-million dollar tasting room, but it didn’t make the wines any better. (still can’t figure out how a brand new winemaker/winery, had that multi-million dollar west-side property though)…

Because the owner decided he wanted to make a small fortune in the wine business…by starting with a large fortune! :slight_smile:

I’ve done a write up in previous posts, but here is where I went in 2018 (so pre-COVID):

Day 1 - VRBO owned by Thacher Winery, would recommend, amazing property.
• Drive to Paso Robles from SFO
• Lunch: In-N-Out Burger - Don’t believe the hype, French fries are made from Styrofoam. Five Guys > In-N-Out
• Dinner: La Cosecha Bar and Restaurant - Amazing food, was floored. Would recommend.

Day 2
• L’Aventure - Cool vintage tasting, loved the caves, tour itself was a little basic
• Lunch: Kitchenette - Favorite coffee shop/breakfast joint. I miss this place so bad.
• Booker - Amazing tasting, great tours, loved driving around the property in the Gator!
• Turtle Rock - Go check out Tin City, Don makes fantastic wine. Good people.
• Dinner: Il Cortile Ristorante - Great food as well, good spot

Day 3
• Epoch - Loved the tour, fantastic tank samples, great sit down tasting.
• Lunch: Red Scooter Deli - Good sandwich in a hurry
• Linne Calodo - Meh, wines are good, but the “experience” is just pouring you a few glasses of wine. Pretty standard. Skippable.
• Herman Story - Cool tasting bar, love the vibe
• Dinner: Grilling at home

Day 4
• TH Estate Wines - One of the best tastings/tours in Paso. Phil is the man, and spent forever tasting barrel samples with us. Loved it.
• Lunch: Grey Wolf Cellars (we were desperate, would NOT recommend).
• Villa Creek (Tasting only) - Nice sit down tasting, cool spot, well organized
• LAW Estate - Beautiful spot and good wines, but hated the structure. If you weren’t already part of their “wine club” they wouldn’t offer you a tour, and I hated that personally. Now a club member, wish I had been told all this pre-booking the tasting…
• Happy Hour @ The Hatch - Bring me back, geeked out with the bartender over their awesome whiskey list. Amazing food, should have skipped Fish Gaucho and just eaten dinner here. Good “tapas” style small dishes.
• Dinner: Fish Gaucho - Meh, it’s mediocre Mexican food. Messed up, should have eaten at the Hatch.

Day 7
• Saxum - Best tasting in Paso. Wine Nirvana. I can now die happy. I updated my will to have my ashes scattered here. My wife things I’m kidding. I’m not… :slight_smile:
• Lunch: Thomas Hill Organics - meh, was fine, not memorable.

Here is what I have for an upcoming trip next month. Personally we loved having scheduled tastings last year and the personal attention. We loved it so much we are bringing a group back with us this year.

Turley-$25 (on wine list here so I finally get to try the wines i’ve been cellaring lol)
Guyomar-$40 includes a cheese and charcuterie board
Paix Sur Terre-$20 includes 5 wines
Denner-$20 (member here)
Dilecta-$25
Brecon-$20 (member here)
FullDraw-$40
Zenaida-$20 (member here) last year when they found out I was a member they waived the tasting format and just started pouring each and every wine for us.
Adelaida-$25
McPrice Myers-$25
Levo-$25 (husband joined this one last year)
Nelle Cordant-$15

I like Adelaida quite a bit.

How did you a score a tasting at Saxum?

1 Like

Has anyone been to Hope Family?

Austen Hope interned at Caymus. If you like that style, it (and Treana another label at the same location) can be very nice.

I agree with you somewhat, although I may be biased because I prefer chardonnay and pinot noir over other varietals on most days. I actually prefer a lush-fruit forward style, but there’s a huge difference in quality comparing let’s say J. Dusi to Saxum, although they belong in the same style family. Has to be the winemaking and starting with some of the better grapes in Paso.

With that said, I’ve enjoyed my trips to Paso and looking to explore further, maybe some Italian varietals or Zins next time as the GSM blends are not in my wheelhouse.

1 Like