Paso Wine Tasting trip - Dec 27, 2017 (Law, Calcareous, Daou, Justin, Lone Madrone)

Call 'em, see if they have more

Law has been one of the great experiences in the area with an amazing tasting room and a very enjoyable experience although I do agree like many of the Paso Rhones, these wines need a lot of time in bottle.

Going out to Paso in May, and here is the tentative plan.
Let me know if anyone has recommendations:

SUN
• TH Estate Wines (Terry Hoage)
• Lunch: Aristan Paso Robles
o Booker
o Firestone Walker Brewery
o Dinner: Il Cortile Ristorante
• Drinks: Hotel Cheval /Pony Club Wine Bar

MON
• Epoch
o Lunch: Kitchenette
• Linne Calodo
o Herman Story
o Dinner: Grilling at the house

TUE
• LAW
o Lunch: Bistro Laurent (Traditional French)
o L’Aventure
o Villa Creek
o Dinner: Fish Gaucho
• Drinks: The Hatch Rotisserie & Bar

I’d recommend Denner, McPrice Meyers, Alta Colina, and Tin City (interesting collection of smaller producers), if you’re looking for substitutes or additions.

Six-pack incoming to split with Scott W. [cheers.gif]

Told ya!

(btw, I pinged the winery after this thread took a turn in their direction, few hours ago - they replied happily)

I would certainly fit in Tablas Creek without a doubt - reach out to Darren or Jason for a personal tour.

Cheers

+1 on Denner

RN Estate is also really good. The wines are more to the AFWE side of the spectrum.

I attended a Daou tasting dinner at my country club, knowing the wines weren’t going to be my thing but to go with some friends.

The wines were a passable rose, the grossest most overoaked chardonnay I’ve ever had, and two Cabernets, one of which was pretty good in a more medium style and the other was decent in a showy oaky low tannin style. All of it was priced well over its value in my opinion, though we didn’t have their base cab, which I think is a decent QPR.

The bad part was the presentation by the owner. He’s this flashy international playboy guy, who talks on and on about his glamorous life story and great successes in business, then says he promises he’s going to make the very best wine in California or the world or something. Honestly, it was like a parody of the rich guy winery owner story we’ve all heard dozens of times.

So I’m not surprised at Todd’s reaction to the visit.

We had very similar experiences as you did Todd at, Daou, Justin, and Lone Madrone last June. We ran out of time to hit Tablas Creek but will on our next trip.

I’m sorry for your loss Todd. Thanks for posting about your trip. It will be helpful for the next time I’m up there.

Andrew - that is a killer 3 days…Herman Story late in the day is the right call, you’ll want to head home after that. The cave tour at L’Aventure is a must - we were out in November and did that while we were there - hit every winery you mentioned, actually. Nice trip…

Thanks! Super excited as it’s my first time out there.

Yeah Herman Story sounded super chill and a great way to cap the end of the day

I’m not sure what it says about me, but when I got to Daou and saw the beautiful view, and all of the well-dressed hip people, I knew immediately the wine wouldn’t be my cup of tea. We sped through the tasting as fast as possible, which took a very long time.