Paulee 2014 thread!

Bravo, Jon!

More coming Charlie! You should have been there my man.

Hope to share a glass with you Mike at some point!

Please save that lone bottle of the '00 Coche MP for me :slight_smile:! Seriously good juice Nico [cheers.gif]. Also, save all the Jayer and '71 RC you have for me also - haaaaaaa.

you mutha…

No problem. We’re going to get you drunk then hold you down while we steal your phone holster and shave the stache :slight_smile:

Alright - I get to drink half of your '64 Tache magnum [wow.gif]!

Morning Paulee Verticals Tasting – Friday, March 14th

Some quick impressions as I saw the wines - lumping the wines together in most cases! This is such a great way to get to know a wine and a domaine better with the winemaker there pouring their wines. Lots of good stuff here!

Domaine Louis Michel Chablis Grand Cru Grenouilles – 2006, 2008, 2010: I liked the ’10 a lot in this line-up and gave it more stars but the ’08 isn’t very far behind. The 2006 seemed flabby when compared to the airy 2010 full of sea breeze scents and steely personality. I would by the ’10 in a heartbeat!

Domaine Christian Moreau Père et Fils Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos – 2008, 2009, 2010: Believe it or not – I very much liked the 2009 here with a nice showing from the ’10. The ’08 seemed a bit lacking for whatever reason especially after making a note that the ’09 was so good. None are blockbusters but the ’09 had plenty of savory fruit with bright enough acidity to carry it.

Domaine William Fèvre Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos – 2007, 2008, 2009: All of these seemed especially floral to me – lovely noses and one could sense the savory ’07, the steely ’08, and the floral/mineral ladened ’09. Anywho, those are the words I have written down for each of the vintages. Liked the ’08 here with the ’07 very close behind!

Domaine Alain Gras St. Romain Blanc – 2010, 2011, 2012: Did not taste!

Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Saint-Aubin 1er Cru Chatenière – 2008, 2009, 2010: There’s a great balance to these wines that really shines through. Loved the precision and savory texture of the ’10, the perfume and checked volume of the ’09, and the delicate texture of the ’08. That’s what I wrote down – preferred the ’10 overall.

Domaine Bernard Moreau & Fils Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Grandes Ruchottes – 2007, 2008, 2010: This is a new domaine for me and I very much liked all three of these wines after getting a quick impression! The ’10 version was fantastic – will hope to buy a bit but it’s not inexpensive from the looks of it.

Domaine Matrot Meursault-Blagny 1er Cru – 2002, 2007, 2010: Did not taste!

Ballot-Millot & Fils Meursault 1er Cru Les Genevrières – 1995, 1999, 2004: I really wanted to like these wines more than I did but couldn’t. I was introduced to the domaine at the La Paulee verticals several years ago and have liked most of the wines I’ve had from them since. For whatever reason I did not prefer these wines – seemed to flabby? I will keep trying however!

Domaine des Comtes Lafon Meursault 1er Cru Les Genevrières – 2002, 2007, 2010: These were super good and maybe even a touch better older if that’s what you’re looking for. Fresh and vibrant – full of balanced acidity. Loved the ’10!!! ’02 showing really well and the ’07 right behind. Yum.

Simon Bize Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Aux Vergelesses – 2003, 2006, 2009: Did not taste!

Francois Carillon Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Combettes – 2004, 2009, 2010: I liked the ’09 version of this the best – seemed more precise from my notes. The ’04 really was knocking on the door with lovely citrus notes – the ’10 seemed overly young!

Etienne Sauzet Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Combettes – 2007, 2009, 2010: This ’10 was awesome from this line-up and several people around me confirmed this. I have all but forgotten about Sauzet while buying recent vintages and I’m very much interested now. The ’10 vintage maybe suited the Sauzet style better? Anywho, the ’10 is a compelling wine with the ’07 coming in 2nd.

Chanson Père et Fils Corton-Vergennes – 2008, 2009, 2010: Had never seen this wine before – the ’10 was airy with lovely wafts of powerful pinot fruit – bright. Liked the ’10 with the ’09 coming in a close 2nd. I’d buy this if it passed my computer screen at a good price – especially the ‘10.

Château Génot-Boulanger Corton-Charlemagne – 2008, 2009, 2010: Did not taste!

Hospices de Beaune Volnay 1er Cru Santenots Cuvée Jéhan de Massol – 2005, 2009, 2010: Did not taste!

Domaine Marquis d’Angerville Volnay 1er Cru Clos des Ducs – 2006, 2007, 2008: The ’08 really stood out for me from this line-up as the most overall balanced wine. ’07 bright and crunchy and the ’06 having broader shoulders. Anywho, the ’08 seemed fresher and airy to me – lovely showing.

Domaine de Montille Pommard 1er Cru Les Pèzerolles – 2002, 2008, 2009: Powerful stuff here as one would expect but the 2008 seemed the most open and “Pommard” to me. I tasted through them and thought these were pretty solid but not appealing.

Domaine de Courcel Pommard 1er Cru Grand Clos des Épenots – 2007, 2009, 2010: I confirmed that Courcel makes some of the best Pommard wines – for my tastes at least. Combo of power and elegance here – these wines can age. Loved the ’07 surprisingly and thought the ’10 was 10+ years from the beginning of early drinking.

Louis Jadot Beaune 1er Cru Boucherottes – 2006, 2007, 2010: Did not taste!

Bouchard Père et Fils Chevalier-Montrachet La Cabotte – 2006, 2009, 2010: I must say that the ’10 Chevalier Cabotte was the white wine of the tasting for me! There is just so much going on – perfumed citrus, lime cream, floral throughout. The ’09 was AOK with the ’06 coming up 3rd.

Alain Hudelot-Noellat Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Beaumonts – 1999, 2002, 2008: I liked the ’99 the most from this bunch with the ’02 coming up a close 2nd. The ’99 seemed still very young but all of these wines seemed a bit overdone for whatever reason – nothing really grabbed me.

Joseph Drouhin Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Amoureuses – 1998, 2002, 2009: This was the biggest winners from the reds for me with the ’02 winning it all! Wow, the ’02 Amoose is gorgeous with lots of sparkly chambolle fruit, cruchy spices, perfume – lovely texture. The ’98 is drinking great now and would love to have some of the ’09 in the cellar. The Drouhin Amoose is fabulous.

Domaine Hudelot-Baillet Bonnes Mares – 2007, 2009, 2010: Did not taste!

David Duband Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Clos Sorbé – 2008, 2009, 2010: I did think the ’09 and ’10 were showing very well – bright personalities and almost delicate. Liked the ’10.

Domaine des Lambrays Clos des Lambrays – 2003, 2006, 2010: Three more vintages of Clos des Lambrays after the collectors lunch from the day before. I loved the ’10 – seemed balanced with everything going for it. Liked it enough that I’d buy more if the price was right.

Domaine Alain Burguet Gevrey-Chambertin Mes Favorites Vieilles Vignes – 2008, 2009, 2010: Did not like these as much as the other domaines tasted.

Domaine Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Cherbaudes Vieille Vigne – 2007, 2009, 2010: I liked several of the ‘07s Fourrier wines over the weekend including a couple poured by Jean-Marie at the Gala dinner. This ’07 came in 3rd for me after the solid and balanced ’09 and the great showing of the ’10. The ’10 came off as super well balanced with a lacy nose and palate. Lots of minerals here is what I wrote.

Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Charmes-Chambertin – 2005, 2006, 2007: I’m going to just say it – I do not prefer the lesser GCs from Rousseau. The ’05 was stacked and AOK but this and the ‘06/’07 just didn’t grab me. I would not pay for the name here – that’s just me though…

Camille Giroud Chambertin – 2008, 2009, 2010: Did not taste!

Faiveley Chambertin-Clos de Bèze – 2009, 2010, 2011: These were exhilarating wines and I now believe all the hype from those that have tasted the recent vintages from Faiveley. All three of these were great with the ’10 ultimately winning for me – the 2011 is VERY good IMHO. Fun stuff!

Another great verticals tasting session at La Paulee. The view looking out over San Francisco was beautiful out of the room where the tasting was held!

We had a great lunch at COQUETA which is a cool tapas restaurant on the water down by the ferry building. Highly recommended!!! Had a few ice cold beers here – haaaaa.

A few hours of rest now until a mega dinner that I organized at Jardiniere that night!

P.S. - anyone and everyone who attended the events, tasting, or dinners during the la Paulee weekend - please chime in with your notes!!! I’d love to see the notes on the wines you tasted.

Jon, I’m with you on that 2010 Cabottes! It was my favorite white of the tasting – stunning. Sauzet was superb, and I enjoyed the 2007 over the 2010, though not by much. I thought more of the H-N Beaumonts more than you did, and really liked the 1999. The Drouhin Amoureuses were stellar, particularly the 2002 and, just behind it, the 1998. 2010 Lambrays – great! Loved 2007 and 2008 Angerville, but the 2006 was tough to figure out for me. My taste of the 2007 Fourrier was off, something seemed wrong. I also liked the Rousseau more than you did, and thought the 2005 was terrific. I’m with you on the Faiveley Beze, what a lineup – wow!

Here’s a link to all my notes: La Paulée de San Francisco 2014 Verticals Tasting - CellarTracker

Wonderful notes Xavier!! I may have been to hard on the H-N Beaumonts wines thinking about it. I have a few from '06 and '10 and will need to re-taste when I can.

Jon, you’re a one man Burgundy wrecking crew. Impressive…and thanks for taking the time to take/post your notes. Besides the amazing company, it’s the vertical and grand tastings that I really miss. No better way to learn the producers, styles and vintage characteristics. I suspect those recent Rousseau Chambertins spoiled you! Looking forward to the next installment.

RT

I’ll try to get some up this weekend.

That’s the spirit! I still have Friday night through the Gala dinner to get up - hard to find time champagne.gif!

Yep - the verticals tasting is the perfect way to experience a wine and a producer over several vintages. Almost like setting up several focused wine dinners except you don’t have to do that - you can taste all of them over a couple of hours at your own pace. LOVE IT!

Yo – time for more notes.

Kabooooooom!

Friday night of the Paulee 2014 weekend at the wonderful Jardiniere! I organized what ended up being a fabulous dinner with several new and old friends sharing some super duper wines. There were x33 for dinner and the service/food couldn’t have been better!! All of the wines were served Paulee style and I requested that everyone make sure I get a taste all the wines. I still think I missed a few :p.

Our menu was fabulous with, 1) Potato Gnocchi/Maine Lobster, Yuzu, Little Gem, 2) Petrale Sole/Cauliflower, Almond, Brown Butter, 3) Duck Breast, Confit, Turnip, Cherry Puree, 4) Wagyu Striploin/Wild Nettle, Bordelaise, 5) Quattro di Bufala, and 6) Chocolate Budino/Caramel, Peanut Crackers. Yummy!

1990 Krug Champagne Vintage Brut from magnum: The freshest ’90 Krug I’ve sampled is what I remember. Ultra bright bubbles and very savory.

1989 Krug Champagne Vintage Brut: Just an OK Krug each time I’ve had it. Oh well……

1989 Krug Champagne Vintage Brut Collection from magnum: Lots of nice brioche and citrus notes here. A lively showing and much better than the regular ’89 – this was from magnum though.

1981 Krug Champagne Vintage Brut Collection from magnum: This was by far the best champagne that night and the best showing ’81 Krug Collection I’ve had. A couple of friends confirmed this. A well put together champagne with plenty of chalky minerality, tight brioche bubbles, and lots of savory effervescence. Yum.

1990 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut from magnum: Corked!! Darn.

1992 Domaine Ramonet Bâtard-Montrachet: This was AOK from the looks and smell of it and retained some nice richness and minerality – just seemed to lack something in the middle that would make this a better wine. The vintage?

1991 Louis Carillon Bienvenues-Bâtard-Montrachet: Well, this was fabulous and from the same stock that the other two came from the night before. Although I liked the ’93 version of this better overall is wine was well put together with lots of lacy floral aromatics and a balanced coated palate. Really nice and several others around me LOVED it!

2000 Domaine d’Auvenay (Lalou Bize-Leroy) Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Folatières: This was quite plump in a good way though – seriously balanced viscous fruit here with enough acidity to pull it off. I wrote down super savory and lush in my notes but with 4 out of 5 stars so I liked it I guess. I would love to sample this again in maybe 5 years.

2004 Bouchard Père et Fils Chevalier-Montrachet La Cabotte out of jero: This was super bright with flashes of quinine and saline laced lime cream. Lovely stuff which lasted throughout the dinner and I still had equivalent to a couple of bottles to pour out and share at the afterparty :p.

2005 Coche-Dury Corton-Charlemagne: There is nothing wrong with this vintage and wine – in fact it’s a rock star! Smoke, savory butter cream, lemon chiffon, lovely notes of citrus biscuit is what I wrote down. Anywho, LOVE IT but I don’t have any in the cellar. Darn!

1991 Coche-Dury Corton-Charlemagne: Darn near close to the top of the heap for white wines over the weekend! It’s always nice to see the old Coche CC gold label and get a perfectly stored bottle like this – wow. The wine is still so powerful and savory – hard to describe but it has just about everything I could want.

1996 Robert Ampeau & Fils Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières: A fine showing for this but it was blown out of the water by the other whites around it!

2006 Domaine Fontaine-Gagnard Criots-Bâtard-Montrachet: Beat my expectations by a mile and thought this wine was drinking just fine. Sure – maybe a wee bit blowsy but there’s more than enough balancing acidity and medium levels of minerality to make this wine show well. Not bad is what I wrote.

1982 Domaine Ramonet Montrachet: This wine just right at the perfect mark for me. I’ve had this ’82 a few times before and each time it’s been stellar but this showing really stood out as the best. Stones, smoke, really savory hints of honeysuckle and custard cream. WOW – this is a wine that I hope everyone has a chance to experience because it will turn you into a white burgundy lover (wines before 1994’ish :p).

1983 Domaine Ramonet Montrachet: This wine was just fine and seemed to be holding it together but just got lost with the others around it. To tell you the truth – I wasn’t impressed with this wine at all if it had been on its own. Seemed to lack something?

1990 Coche-Dury Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières: This one really started off stinky and we feared it was off or slightly corked. A few minutes in the glass after first opening confirmed that it wasn’t corked but just needed to air out. This wine really changed in the glass and several were amazed how my glass performed at the end of the evening. Lovely stuff and right up there with the ’91 Coche CC in stunning quality.

1989 François Raveneau Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos: Wow, Wow, Wow – you don’t see these older Rav Les Clos bottles ever and I was super excited when one of my table mates cracked this – big smile! These older bottles of Raveneau Chablis are so well put together and seem to be singing around the 20-25+ years of age mark. Lots of savory honey, tart sea breeze, oyster shell scents, lime cream – wonderful perfumed stuff. Loved this and if it wasn’t for some of the other darn near perfect whites this would have been the white of the night.

2000 Vincent Dauvissat (René & Vincent) Chablis 1er Cru Vaillons: I love the purity and brightness that shows through in the Dauvissat wines. This is no slouch – the Vaillons seems to always find a way into my cellar almost every year.

1992 Vincent Dauvissat (René & Vincent) Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos from magnum: This was on my list but I didn’t get to try it – I think. Haaaaaa

2002 Vincent Dauvissat (René & Vincent) Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos from magnum: This was just OK and seemed to lack some of the focus that I like from a Dauvissat Clos. Was just an average chablis and several around me confirmed this.

1989 Etienne Sauzet Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Referts: A super interesting wine to taste – definitely the oldest wine from Sauzet I’ve tasted. Lovely old label here from the picture I took. The wine was tired and seemed way to one dimensional with lots of plump apple cream and fading minerality. Interesting for sure.

1989 Domaine Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Ruchottes: Super cool to taste this – the newer vintages of the Ramonet Ruchottes I’ve tasted have been very likeable! This was no different and an aged white burgundy that really floated my boat. Nice levels of viscosity, light touches of mint, crunchy ginger spice, and perfumed fruits. More interesting than the ’89 Sauzet Refers for sure - lovely.

1998 Domaine Leflaive Bâtard-Montrachet from magnum: I can’t say that I’ve had a wine from Domaine Leflaive from 1998 before until this magnum was poured/shared. AOK! It seemed to lack a bit of freshness and vibrancy on the nose/palate but there was plenty of interesting other stuff going on. A really nice showing for this D.Leflaive Batard.

1983 Domaine Leflaive Bâtard-Montrachet: This was also very interesting since I don’t get to try very many white burgs from ’83. The Chevy this weekend was very good but this Batard was just average. Lacy aromatics here with some quinine like citrus fruits and cold pear fruit. Liked it and surely wouldn’t kick this one off the table.

2008 Domaine Leflaive Bâtard-Montrachet from magnum: You know – I have no problems with the ’08 D.Leflaive line-up but know several that count them as not their favorites. I liked this very much so and this one didn’t have very much of the smoky stank that these wines can show when first opened. Pure wines IMHO that will age nicely for mid-term drinking.

2001 Paul Pernot et ses Fils Bâtard-Montrachet: Lovely showing – cold peach fruit, lovely levels of acidity and minerality. Another Pernot wine that I like – this is a trend I’m trying to pay attention to.

2001 Paul Pernot et ses Fils Bienvenues-Bâtard-Montrachet: I very much liked this also and tend to like the BBM from Pernot overall because of the purity that it often exhibits. Doesn’t hurt that the BBM is cheaper than the BM! Anywho, would not kick this off my dinner table.

2001 Domaine des Comtes Lafon Montrachet: The only Lafon Montrachet over the weekend and this didn’t disappoint! I wrote down that this was super young with primary scents of integrated oak creamy spice and adequate levels of lovely saline laced stone fruits. Didn’t get to watch this develop in the glass unfortunately but one could tell there lots of stuff packed in there. Would love to try this in 5-8 years again!

2010 Bernard Dugat-Py Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Morgeot Vieilles Vignes: I was super interested in tasting this after a friend opened up his bag and pulled this out! Seriously – didn’t know that Dugat-Py made a white burgundy. I own a few bottles of interesting wines from Dugat-Py and I understand everyone has their own opinions about their style…. This white was very well balanced and a pleasure to sample especially from the 2010 vintage. Cool stuff.

1983 Domaine Leflaive Chevalier-Montrachet: A really nice showing for this one! I do like Chevalier bottles more on the young to middle age side of the flavor profiles. This did seem to lack a bit on the finish which is what I wrote down first. Anyway, not a great bottle of wine but performing well!

1993 Domaine Leflaive Chevalier-Montrachet: Performing very much like the last time I came across a bottle of this. None of this left in the cellar so this one came from a friend – the bottle seemed to be from a US retailer and not a European bottle. Seems a wee bit plump and overbearing from what I wrote down – needing more palate balancing acidity. Nice enough but the ’93 Leflaive Chevalier is a tough nut to crack.

2004 Domaine Ramonet Montrachet: This was large and balanced with plenty going on! Yep, hints of mint – lime cream – butter cream – smoke. Still very young and would tell anyone wanting to open this to wait another 10 years or so.

1996 Domaine Leroy Latricières-Chambertin: Lovely showing for this I thought – still very young and large IMHO. Not to early to drink but I think there’s more to come from this one!

1949 Maison Leroy Chambertin: What a cool wine to try – savory earthiness throughout with mushrooms, forest floor, black tea, touches of incense is what I wrote down. Really neat to try this one!

1966 Maison Leroy Chambertin: I very much like the ‘64/’66 wines from Leroy – this is super with more smoke and soft cherry aromas. Seemed more in the secondary stage of the flavor game – lovely silky tannins. Really nice to try!

**1969 Domaine G. Roumier / Christophe Roumier Bonnes Mares (Remoissenet):**Darn near wine of the night from several sitting around me – super duper wine! This wine was very much based on earthy undertones and flavors. Savory earth, tea, spice box – this is what I wrote down. Anyway, this was seemingly a complete wine the really drew in lots of my table mates!

1988 Domaine Georges Mugneret/Mugneret-Gibourg Ruchottes-Chambertin: Really seemed just a bit clunky at first – could have been because of the fine grain tannins that were a part of my wine glass pour. Still, full of fun earth toned fruits – bright and airy if left in the glass.

1969 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Romanée-Conti: I really wished I could have sampled this one – a dinner mate had used his Coravin on this over the last 5-6 months so there was about 40% of the bottle left. People say it was still fresh and lively……

1990 Domaine Dujac Clos de la Roche from magnum: A really nice wine here – high 90’s for sure if I had to give it a score! Lots of airy cherry spice, earthy loveliness, and a spiced heme savory side. This is a complete wine and really special from this really nice looking maggie. Yum!

1995 Domaine Dujac Clos de la Roche from magnum: This showed a bit stern throughout – the nose was nice enough with some flashy stuff happening but the palate seems shut. Not totally shut – just not all that impressive. Wait on this one especially from magnum.

2002 Domaine Méo-Camuzet Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Cros Parantoux: I’m starting to get CrosP after having the opportunity to sample some nicies over the past couple of years. It’s all about the texture I think…. The nose is full of brambly red cherry and layered spices but the texture on the palate seem to always show as extra silky. The Meo version is maybe a wee bit bigger when young but with age (like the Rouget CrosP) it sings!

2000 Domaine Méo-Camuzet Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Aux Brulees: This was really good! The first Vosne wine were I really got the ginger spice profile from the nose. The color was medium+ ruby jewel – bright and tight spice profile. Liked this!

1997 Joseph Drouhin Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Amoureuses from magnum: Thx Amy! This is yet another ’97 red burgundy that is drinking at a level that could please any die hard burg lover – doesn’t hurt that this is the Drouhin Amoose also! Airy cherry spice, flashes of blue fruits, cold river rocks. Lovely.

2002 Faiveley Corton-Clos des Cortons Faiveley from magnum: This was very young and showed really well like several young 2002 red burgs have for me recently. Young for sure especially from magnum so wait 20yrs from this format.

1976 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Richebourg: Cool to taste this – the tannins have definitely been consumed here leaving a delicate yet sneaky powerful fruit profile. Not back but tired quick. Lovely to sample!

1996 Domaine Dujac Bonnes Mares: The label was stained and looked much older when compared to some of the recent bottles from the domaine. Medium+ savory fruit here with balancing acid structure which really seemed to lift this out of the glass nicely. I’ll be happy to try this over the upcoming years. Yummy!

1991 Domaine Leroy Chambertin: Dark fruit profile here – lots of spices and earth that needs some coaxing to tease out. As it sat in the glass for the 2-3 minutes I had with this beauty there was more spiced tea and smoke components – almost like smoked meats. This is what I wrote down anyway.

1991 Domaine Marquis d’Angerville Volnay 1er Cru Clos des Ducs: My god – this was open for business but was tighter than a blank on the palate. Unfortunately I think I got a dregs pour. Darn – several really like this but I had to move on :p.

1990 Leroy Latricieres-Chambertin: I very much liked this and wrote down as such. Another Leroy Latricieres that floated my boat.

1964 Domaine Drouhin-Laroze Bonnes Mares: Really cool looking old label and bottle – super cool to taste. Full of sous bois and other funky meaty earth things. Truffles, soft black cherry compote. Medium finish – leather, a bit dry.

1952 Bouchard Père et Fils Volnay 1er Cru Caillerets Ancienne Cuvée Carnot from magnum: Wow – light color here with lots of leather spice, tea and green tobacco, spice box, and red licorice. This is what I wrote down! Cool treat to try.

1999 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Romanée St. Vivant: The ’99 DRC wines are special – this RSV is a star. Yes, very young but this has everything in place for a long life. Dark spice is what I wrote down and remember the powerful balanced presence this wine exuded.

1999 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Chambertin-Clos de Bèze: This was my first foray with either of the ’99 Rousseau big two wines – this did not disappoint for sure. Young with crunchy red fruits and tannins. Let this one sleep – seems like a long term cellar winner to me.

1959 Georges Noellat Grands-Echezeaux: Several people commented around me that this seemed super fresh – not sure of the release status of this wine. Anyway, liked this but did not seem 55 years old – maybe 30 or so :p.

1978 Charles Noellat Vosne-Romanée Les Genaivrières from magnum: Lovely showing for this wine from magnum. A wee bit try on the palate but the tannins were sweet and medium in length. Smoke, tobacco, mushrooms. Met and/or exceeded expectations!

1961 Thomas Bassot Mazis-Chambertin: Just got a small taste of this one shortly after it was uncorked. Hard to judge with the touch of it that I got.

1983 Emmanuel Rouget Echezeaux: The oldest Rouget Echezeaux I’ve sampled and it did not disappoint. Not a rock start but this one still had some very broad shoulders. Love it in the little time I had with it. Can’t wait to try the ’87 after some friends had one.

1990 Emmanuel Rouget Echezeaux: This one showed really well per my notes – a bit clunky is what I wrote down. I noted that there was plenty of nice “stuff’ going on with bright fruits, etc.

1991 Emmanuel Rouget Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Cros Parantoux: I noted this down with 5 stars when I looked back at the sparse notes for this. Again, the texture really spoke to me with an intoxicating nose of rocky spices and savory fruits. I really found this appealing.

1962 Domaine G. Roumier / Christophe Roumier Bonnes Mares: This bottle was not as good as the 1969 bottle – same style though. Seemed a bit tired on the palate which is the only thing I could find a problem with (if there’s a problem there at all :p). Pure and powerful is what I wrote down.

1972 Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Musigny Cuvée Vieilles Vignes: I wrote down that this was tired and old – unfortunately! I was not describing how I felt though – haaaaaa.

GREAT FRIDAY NIGHT PAULEE WEEKEND DINNER! Saturday will bring the Grand tasting and the Gala dinner.

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHH that is my kind of dinner right there.

Wow !

Congrats Jon for making it through a great list of wines!