Peaty Whisky Advice

Lagavulin 16 and Laphroaig 10 cask strength.

Don’t disagree Sarah, but it’s a great Whisky that many don’t think of as peated as they aren’t Islay. They are nicely peated though.

I am intrigued by Bunnahabhain. Despite not being peaty the descriptions do sound interesting.
Also I should look for Highland and Laphroaig “cask strength”.
Btw Oban was ok but not in my son’s style and not something I feel I need to have around.

I got the px version of the bunnahabhain, excited to try it!

Compass Box - The Peat Monster

I agree with David, Kilchoman is pretty awesome. Just now enjoying my first dram.

While it’s complicated, that’s not entirely accurate. There is a lot of whisky produced on the island that is unpeated, 30 to 50% is a statistic I’ve read - plenty that goes into blends, for instance - but in general if you’re talking major house styles, there isn’t much: two that I know of. In addition to Bunnahabhain, Bruichladdich is now unpeated, unless we’re talking Octomore or Port Charlotte or older stuff. But Bruichladdich bearing that name is unpeated now, and now all the labels and tins say so.

Also there is one single malt Bunnahabhain release that is peated (could be others I’m not aware of), the Ceóbanach. There has also been some made that has gone into blends.

I’m not arguing your point that Bunn isn’t going to give you peat, in general. Just getting a little more nit-picky.

Sarah is of course correct.

I own examples of unpeated or very lightly peated Ardbeg, Bowmore, Bruichladdich, as well as peated Bunnahabhain. All except for Ardbeg (Kildalton) and Bruichladdich are independent bottlings, which I assume were sold-off because they didn’t fit distillery character and the distillery didn’t want to bottle as one-off single casks.

I’ve been under the impression the only peated Bunnahabhain was/is the “Toitech.” But that’s based on knowledge that hasn’t been checked in a few years, so perhaps things have changed.

In addition to the other unpeated Islay malts that have been mentioned I’ll add the unpeated Caol Ila I came across a few years ago — and it was a distillery bottling, ta boot! It was good-not-great. For unpeated whisky, I’m not looking to Islay.

Sarah,

Glad for the response. I was only speaking of normal house bottlings, as opposed to special bottlings like the Ceobanach or Octomore or whatever from whomever (including Glan Muir from Laphroaig which to me is like Titleist making bowling balls). I haven’t had Laddy in quite a while and didn’t realize they’d killed their peat program. Time to have some whiskey.

I enjoyed your post so much I started poking around and stumbled across this article which I found very interesting:

https://blog.thewhiskyexchange.com/2015/04/no-more-peaty-whisky-from-islay/

Gross overestimation of peat based on faulty survey suggests major peat shortages for Islay within decades. Looks like more low-peat options likely coming soon!

Did you note the date of that article?

Oh god damnit.

Another rec for the Peat Monster (a blend of a few different single malts—no grain in there). One that hasn’t been mentioned is the Longrow line of scotches from the Springbank distillery. Its the heavier-peated brother to Springbank. Not quite the smoke level of an Islay, but approaching it. Non-chill filtered as well.

@OP: The cheaper blend from Springbank, you’re looking for, is called Campbeltown Loch. They still make it.

As for unpeated Islay’s; Sarah is correct, the two B’s are generally unpeated. Also, Caol Ila occasionally does an unpeated Cask Strength bottling, that is worth picking up

Kilchoman Sanaig is excellent, more sherry cask than Machir Bay and I’d think a bit more age.
So far Kilchoman is leading the pack for me, but my experience is extremely limited.

I disagree on the Peat Monster recommendations. If memory serves me correctly, Peat Monster has the highest PPM of peat of all scotch whisky. The Glenfiddich reference is what pushed me towards the Kilchoman.

You may also consider the standard Caol Ila bottling. A touch peaty but much more iodine and saline in my opinion. If you could find some older Bruichladdich’s prior to them selling out, that would be a good option as well.

Back to Peat Monster, Compass Box makes some fantastic blends and exploring their range of expressions is an endeavor well rewarded in my opinion. I particularly enjoyed their special bottling of Delilah made for the punk rock club in Chicago. The Great King Street Glasgow bottling could be a good option as well, great value with a good peaty kick. The standard Great King Street is an excellent bottle I can drink all day long.

David, Almost picked a Caol Ila as well, next time.

Didn’t know Peat Monster had the highest ppm of peat, I’ve found the scotch to have more layered and lingering peaty aroma and taste. Less of a upfront-punchy smoke and iodine, more tar and smokey-earthy elements. Perhaps the influence of the separate single malts add different points to the flavor profile?

Haven’t had the Great King Street Glasgow since it’s release, great reminder to taste it again.

Peter, let us know your next bottle.

pretty sure Bruichladdich’s Octomore has most peat ppm. Or has that changed now? … not that it really matters, the couple times I had Octomore it seemed I might as well be drinking gasoline.

Ardbeg grooves brings it, especially committee release.