Pelaverga, Freisa and Ruche (and other lesser known Piedmont grapes)

Unfortunately no, because there are no IGT-level appellations in Piedmont.

Thanks Otto. I just looked that up and see I need to do some reading on the different DOC’s and DOCG’s. Could they use Langhe Rosso for the non-typical red grapes and blends?

Yes, many wines over several decades. If you find a wine you like there, the price will be good and it should be in good condition.

However, the store was sold about four years ago and it’s truly a bizarre place now. The owners don’t drink, there’s no one there who knows anything about wine, the wines are not well organized on the shelves (Barolo mixed with Brunello, Vouvray next to CdP) and they’ve loaded up with no-name cheap wines. They still have a good selection (lots of top Germans, Burgundies, Italians, maybe a bit less in California). I still check their website and go there every few months, but the new owners have made a mess out of what was for decades one of the four or five best stores in the city.

To my best understanding, Pelaverga is allowed only in DOC Verduno Pelaverga. However, I’ve seen some DOC Langhe Rossos that have been 100% Pelaverga, which shouldn’t be possible. Some other DOCs that encompass bigger areas do permit some non-typical varieties.

Italian Wine Central is a good source to check regulations etc. related to Italian wines.

Here you can see which varieties are allowed in DOC Piemonte: Piemonte DOC » Italian Wine Central
And here DOC Langhe: Langhe DOC » Italian Wine Central

Looking at the rules you cited, it says Langhe Rosso can contain “Any proportions of authorized nonaromatic red grapes.” “Authorized grapes” isn’t defined there. But I would think it would include all indigenous grapes that can be grown legally in the Langhe, as opposed to, say, cabernet or syrah. That would explain the ones you’ve seen.

Just spent a week in norther Italy again, and drank a lot of Ruche and some Freisa. Yum.

Yes, that’s what I thought too. The difference between the “principal / recommended varieties” and “authorized / permitted varieties” can be occasionally huge. What bugs me is that very often it’s impossible to find lists of permitted varieties for certain regions, whereas in others regions the lists of recommended varieties and permitted varieties can be identical. For example I’d love to know what varieties are actually permitted in Piedmont.

That nonaromatic part would also explain why the Ruchè wines outside Monferrato region that I’ve tasted have been labeled as Vino da Tavola - most likely Ruchè is considered to be aromatic, i.e. uneligible for the DOC Langhe Rosso appellation.

http://www.langhevini.it/pagine/eng/denominazioni/langhe-doc.lasso

This link to the Consorzio says that even international varieties like Cabernet can be used “if the modification to the Disciplinary body is accepted”. Not sure what that means.

There is also a link to a PDF written in Italian there. Click on “The Disciplinary.” That looks like it explains the rules. I need to convert to English, but I think it will detail what is allowed.

Yes, on a brief glance it’s:

Langhe+grape variety e.g. Langhe Nebbiolo, can only be used when the grape variety is one of Arneis,
Barbera, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Dolcetto, Favorita, Freisa, Merlot, Nascetta, Nebbiolo,
Pinot Nero, Riesling, Rossese bianco, Sauvignon and must use 85+% of that grape variety etc.

Langhe Rosso can use any authorised red grape(s) on the national register, etc.

So a 100% Pelaverga wine is allowed, but it would take the denomination Langhe Rosso (NOT Langhe Pelaverga_

Since we’re talking about the lesser Piemonte red grapes here, do Croatina and Grignolino deserve mention? I’ve not had many examples of them.
This thread is very enlightening and has inspired me to seek out some of these wines.

We were in Verduno for Friday and, between tastings and lunch, got to try five Pelavergas. It’ll never be a profound wine but it’s a nice lunch wine to drink slightly chilled on a warm summer’s day.

Roughly in order (best last) I tasted:

• 2017 Bel Colle
  • 2017 Burlotto (not GB)
  • 2016 Castello di Verduno
  • 2017 Fratelli Alessandria
  • 2017 GB Burlotto.

The GB Burlotto was very good. Fresh and vibrant with wild strawberries and herbs.

I bought a Freisa and a Ruche today from a producer I have not had before - Cantine Valpane. The Ruche doesn’t have a vintage on it. Could it be a NV?

Here are a few tasting notes from the weekend.

• 2011 Cantine Valpane Rosa Ruske - Italy, Piedmont, Vino da Tavola (7/4/2018)
    The vintage is not written anywhere on the bottle, but I think this is from 2011 based on the lot number. Compared to the younger, bright colored Freisa, this shows some age, with rusty, orange and brown tones. Looks like it is twenty years old. Raisiny, earthy and port-like flavors. Decent acidity. An interesting wine, and my first Rucche. I’d like to try a younger one, to get a better feel for the grape.
  • 2015 Cantine Valpane Monferrato Canone Inverso - Italy, Piedmont, Monferrato (7/4/2018)
    I enjoyed this Freisa. Light bodied and elegant. Red fruits, floral notes, soft, silky mouthfeel, moderate acidity. Maybe a hint of maple? Reminded me of a cross between a Langhe Nebbiolo and a Burgundy.
  • 2016 Voerzio Martini Langhe Freisa Lamorrina - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC (7/4/2018)
    This was a pleasant little wine. Frizzante, light bodied, fresh, berries, and a hint of licorice and tar. I enjoyed this more initially. When I came back to it later in the night, after some other wines, it seemed a little too fruity and simple.

A few more, not so common wines.

• 2014 Ellena Giuseppe Langhe Nascetta - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC (8/5/2018)
    This is interesting, too. Earthy nose with light petrol, and smokey, orange notes. Slightly oily mouth feel, but there is solid dose of acidity. Probably my favorite white tonight.
  • 2015 Ferrando Erbaluce di Caluso La Torrazza - Italy, Piedmont, Northern Piedmont, Erbaluce di Caluso (8/5/2018)
    Darker, golden color. Apples and dried herbs on the palate. Too much like apple juice for me. It is dry with moderate acid, though. Reminds me a little of some Cinque Terre wines. Meh.
  • 2016 Crivelli Ruché di Castagnole Monferrato - Italy, Piedmont, Monferrato, Ruché di Castagnole Monferrato (8/5/2018)
    I enjoyed this wine. As David said, it is uncomplicated, but tasty. Fruity, dark cherry, soft but there is some fine tannin as well. There is something here that reminds me of Cru Beaujolais.
  • 2016 Tenuta Montemagno Grignolino d’Asti Rubèr - Italy, Piedmont, Asti, Grignolino d’Asti (8/5/2018)
    Pale, semi translucent color. Fragrant fruity nose. Soft, silky palate. Elegant. Pretty good
  • 2016 Vigneti Massa Petit Derthona Terra Vino da Tavola - Italy, Piedmont, Vino da Tavola (8/5/2018)
    This is an interesting wine. Smells a little like a white Rhone. Waxy, lemon. On the palate this is light and fresh. Hard to describe, but enjoyable.
  • 2015 Cavallotto Langhe Freisa - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC (1/3/2019)
    Tasted blind. Lighter bodied, a lot of acidity and quite a bit of fine tannin. Red fruited with mineral notes. I was thinking Nebbiolo, or possibly even Nerello Mascalese. Ended up guessing Nebbiolo.

I liked the wine and it was fun to have in a blind setting. Thanks Fred.

I also have the G. Rinaldi Freisa vertical and plan to open them in the near future. Will report back.

Mark and Bill, please report back. A local wine shop has Scarpa’s La Selva di Moirano Freisa (2009). I am going to pick one up today to try soon. I bought a 2017 G. Rinaldi Freisa while in Barolo earlier this year. Can I open that soon, or should I cellar it for a while?

Jeff- I would probably sit on it for a while…at least that’s my plan. The Scarpa should be ready to go…would love to hear how it was.

HOLD for 3-5