Penfolds California Collection

Already on sale.

WA at 97+ so there is potential for a 100 with that “+”?

My favorite WA when I subscribe many years ago was their 96-100

Randy C wrote: ↑Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:32 pm
Also from Total Wine Concierge: the Bin 98 for $594.97
Already on sale.

I am going to risk it and wait for 3 or 4 more sale discount prices. [wink.gif]

This reminds me of New Coke. Stay in your lane Penfolds.

Complete aside, but how great was the “So” album, John!? Still think Secret World Live is one of the best live discs (even though PG overdubbed the vocals in studio). What a band he had.

1 Like

Complete aside, but how great was the “So” album, John!? Still think Secret World Live is one of the best live discs (even though PG overdubbed the vocals in studio). What a band he had.

Wish I saw him in concert in the 80s. PG 3 is my favorite album.

1 Like

I saw him in 1980 at the Central Park ice rink. I think that was the Intruder tour. Still one of the best shows ever. Great band with Larry Fast, Tony Levin, Fripp

1 Like

Seems like a shift in strategy for brands at Treasury. I wonder whats next then for “Penfolds” maybe some Central Coast Syrah?

Does it matter if they’re both a joke? :slight_smile:

Seems like a shift in strategy for brands at Treasury. I wonder what’s next then for “Penfolds” maybe some Central Coast Syrah

Well seems like a better fit. Overpriced Cabs from Cali are covered.

Sooooo… can’t help myself… we know that the Napa fruit for this wine comes from the vineyards Treasury already has at their disposal. Since they have NO wine from any Napa vineyards that retails for $700 currently… or even half that… or even 1/3 that… how is the juice from those same vineyards magically worth $700 per bottle… now? And… if they do make Napa juice worth $700 per bottle… why have they not been selling a Napa wine for $700 all along?
[berserker.gif]

I can say with 99% certainty that no person who walks a vineyard for a living would ever come up with such an idea. Sadly, this feels like a wine created in a board room by executives figuring out how to expand their reach during a pandemic. Not a wine created by winemakers with the end client in mind. I can only imagine the look on the faces at Sterling or BV or Hewitt (or whichever winery the juice got siphoned off from) when their poor winemakers walked into work one day and found out their ten best barrels were now going into an “international” blend to ensure the corporate home office hit their earnings target for the new quarter.

3 Likes

I can say with 99% certainty that no person who walks a vineyard for a living would ever come up with such an idea. Sadly, this feels like a wine created in a board room by executives figuring out how to expand their reach during a pandemic. Not a wine created by winemakers with the end client in mind.

Agree what a terrible time to come out with a wine for $700!

People say golf is expensive. I spend $2,000 a year for a great golf club in MN with my son. We play at least 80 times a year x 2. That is a great value or 3 of these overpriced wines.

Looks like BBR is the exclusive UK merchant for this, coming out on Thursday. I was mildly interested as my wife likes Napa cabs (I generally don’t) and they are hard to find here. But then I saw the U.S. pricing and lost all interest. If Penfolds is only selling through one merchant, there must not be a lot of volume (or perceived interest) coming to the UK. No surprise as Napa doesn’t really fit the palate here.

Hey you’ll be the only guy on your block who has it!

I agree with Roy - something dreamed up in a corporate boardroom rather than by some wine maker.

John Duval, who made Grange for a while, works in other countries. As far as I know, he doesn’t blend the wines though!