Perrotti-Brown to launch her own publication

That prospect does indeed make me giddy! But, sadly, I doubt she negotiated a deal going in to keep the rights to her own tasting notes, as Galloni did with Parker. So, I’d guess her database will only cover notes going forward, and she seems to have eschewed that term in the last year or so. [cry.gif] Can’t imagine why.

Johan Berglund is an excellent photographer who has worked with Neal Martin for many years, so she’ll have some nice photos.

Making catty comments about others, well one in particular, seems a strange way of launching your own business - people in glass houses, etc. That said, I wish her luck.

4 Likes

if she truly would be giving independent thoughts and reviews, I would follow it event if for that alone.

1 Like

We took the guillotine to that cake reference!

I agree with that in general, but my first requirement from any critic is an honest and completely independent appraisal of any wine they are scoring. Whether anything can be inferred by the 48 hour previews making for favored trade customers or winemakers coming to his events with plenty of wine, is hard to say. But like Calpurnia, “Caesar’s wife should be above suspicion”. The appearances are not good, and if LPB can tell us what really is going on, more power to her.

2 Likes

True, but I always have difficulty trusting someone who says they’re honest, especially when they cast aspersions on others!

Look at me, I’m independent! 100 point integrity! No conflicts of interest! I’m super ethical, unlike certain others!

I’m sure there are lots of insider tales to tell but I’m not sure her personal grudge against AG makes her the best person to do it.

And again, a weird way of asking “Hey, come and give me a “comfortable living”!”

Quite a contrast with jane Anson’s rather classy way of setting sail.

2 Likes

I’m sure I speak for everyone when I say that the only thing I always felt was missing from those sales pages that list 8 magazines’ basically identical tasting notes is a 9th one.

5 Likes

I’m not too familiar with her, but how would you describe her palate? What does she tend to prefer in terms of style?

Subscriber-only model makes sense in today’s world assuming she has the name recognition or can benefit off of her experience at WA.

Guess the real question for WBers is if she’ll have CT score integration?

1 Like

This thread will give you a sense of her palate.

2 Likes

She managed to drive one project into the throes of mediocrity…I trust neither her palate or her editorial acumen.

2 Likes

But then Jane is a classy lady.

Just FYI Parker started the Advocate railing against the English writers, many from the trade, who dominated the wine scene then.

Thanks Julian! I do often feel like Rain Man… But, you know what they say, sometimes a picture speaks a thousand reviews. So I hope to do my bit. We picked a hill to die on because we felt it was more than worth it.

Cheers

7 Likes

Her leaving WA led me to resubscribe; addition by subtraction.

Truth is though that anyone who reads the reams of over-the-top praise and uniform 95+ scores given to established expensive wines can tell that critics have little freedom to be critical or even unenthusiastic in reviewing the major producers. There are a few exceptions (Jancis?) but that’s the rule. Thing is, she was very much one of the crowd in that respect so it makes me doubt her ability to challenge it.

But in the age of CT endless lookalike tasting notes for in-barrel wines are not what I look for from wine writers anyway. I want good wine writing that takes me inside the winemaking practices, viticulture, culture, history, geography, economics etc. of a region

2 Likes

Mark, Pompeia was the wife that should have been above suspicion (and was thus divorced)! [cheers.gif]

2 Likes

I get the sense LPB has always viewed herself as the spiritual as well as actual successor to Parker, who always positioned himself in this manner (a protector of consumers first). She was fiercely protective of his legacy at The Wine Advocate whereas I think the current reviewers/editors are less focused on that legacy and more focused on their style of reviewing and reporting. So I’m not really surprised she has started this new publication with a cri de couer in this style.

it is rumored that Coates would pick up gratis a case of Chambertin at Rousseau as he left after each annual tasting . . .

I agree. This is why I enjoy Kermit Lynch’s writing.

1 Like

You guys are all far too easily seduced by the sudden appearance of the possibility of juicy insider gossip. We’ll see what happens when her investors and co-workers – all waiting for a payout that seems to be vanishing further and further into the hazy future – start demanding some pay/revenue.

I for one am not impressed by her taking pot shots at her competitors, her co-workers and her (past) self. I won’t be subscribing.

1 Like

The founder of this illustrious website allegedly has a penchant for gossip. He’s also lazy and has a narrow agenda.

6 Likes