Persistent TCA Problem

Citric acid was also suggested in another thread. edit How to keep wine glasses immaculate??? - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

I live in an area with tons of silica in the water. It leaves hard water spots/films over time that can’t be eliminated with citric acid or other common chemicals that would typically be used to remove carbonate scale or other water deposits (I suppose I could use dilute hydrofluoric acid to etch old glasses and remove the silica deposits, but that seems a little risky…). I have two Gabriel glasses, one of which is much older. The older one has become unusable; the silica masks a wine’s aroma and makes everything smell and taste like sort of vague sand. OP, you might be running into a similar issue with deposits on glassware that is influencing the smell of your wine. Try tasting a wine out of your favorite glass and then a brand-new one and see if there’s a distinct difference.

Suspect you have the issue not the wines. Corking is nowhere near that common. Have you done anything different lately? New nasal spray etc?

Yeah, I’ve had off odors on our dishes since using Cascade pods. I would be suspicious of that as well.

Did a blind taste test tonight. Pulled two cheap wine glasses from the back of the cabinet and poured wine from one of the seemingly tainted glasses and also directly from the bottle. Immediately obvious which was which. Kinda miffed given that I gave the tainted glass a rinse of hot water, but at least I’ve narrowed it down a bit. Got some seventh generation detergent mentioned above so will try rewashing them next.

Incidentally, the wine was a 2016 Goodfellow Fir Crest. Absolutely gorgeous nose, which made the tainted glassware just that much more obvious!

Dishwasher detergent is such a persistent problem impacting the appreciation of fine wine. I recall many years ago - like 20+ years ago - Parker wrote a short piece on this very thing. It is really persistent in restaurants and bars, and not just the detergent, but also the dirty and wet hand towels that they keep recycling. I’m not so geeky to bring my own wine glasses to a restaurant - steps up Fu - but I am geeky enough to smell the glass and generally put in some sparkling water, swirl and drink or dump, hopefully to remove any residue. In my house, drives me wife crazy that I will always rinse the glasses after she or the maid dishwashes them or hand washes them, and then let them air-dry.

Jeez, Alfert, your wife must be a living saint!

[wow.gif] I should have been a lawyer.

This is why we hand wash all of our glasses. Dishwasher never does a good job and leaves residue.