Petit Verdot Recommendations

Swanson Vineyards makes a 100% Napa PV: https://www.swansonvineyards.com/2018-salon-select-petit-verdot

Have a couple laying down, have not tried one yet. Does PV show better with a little age?

1 Like

Had one from Jarvis a couple of months ago. Not sure of the year but it was pretty good.

1 Like

I wish I knew the answer to that question.

But back in the day, the Dog Ridge PVs were so good that we couldn’t keep our hands off them, and to the best of my knowledge, they’re all long gone.

If you had exceptionally deep pockets, it would be a strong argument for hunting down the very early Realm wines to see whether, after all these years, you could still detect that powerful PV signature.

I remember the first time I ever sipped on a Realm - Wendell probably poured it - and my immediate thought was “Petite Verdot!!!”

1 Like

It has been a while, but when I tasted Trinchero’s Petit Verdot from Napa Valley, it was surprisingly delicious. I have not been terribly impressed by their other wines, however.

The winery now produces two single-vineyard Petit Verdot bottlings: “Cloud’s Rest Vyd” and “Central Park West Vyd”. I don’t know anything about these.

Thanks, Mike, Corey and Chris for the mentions.

Ishi Pishi Ranch is a special place. Since these wines seem to age, I still have a few of the 13 and 14 and a nice stock of the 15.

I can be reached at andrew@bricelandvineyards.com or 707 923-2429 if there is interest. I am happy to speak with any of you.

Ridge made a nice one in 2011 and 2012.

Glen Manor PV and Veritas are VA’s best. Linden is a step behind on PV.

1 Like

I’ll echo Henry K in saying that Pirramimma from McLaren Vale in Australia do a good one. Not certain if it is (still) imported into the US, but it must have been in the past I guess if Henry has tried it?

Marufuji Winery Petit Verdot Rubaiyat out of Yamanashi, Japan. Very good wine, 100% Petit Verdot, ‘14 vintage won the Japan Competition Gold, 1500 bottles a year, good luck in finding one in the US.

1 Like

Hi Mark,

It is still available at a local shop…

here in ze Chermany [cheers.gif]

It’s been 2 years since I’ve opened one from the cellar, but I really enjoyed:
Viader V: approx (depending on year) 60/40 Petit Verdot/Cabernet Sauvignon

Sanguis Nocturne from ‘15. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.winemag.com/buying-guide/sanguis-2015-nocturne-petit-verdot-central-coast%3famp Is a professional review of it.

Haven’t had one in sometime but enjoyed the Marques de Grinon.

From Walla Walla:
Seven Hills; great example of PV
Northstar also makes a very nice botteling of this; some years may be a blend and not %100 PV but enough to legally be called such.

Abadia Retuerta makes a good PV, the best I’ve had. I tasted it when we were visiting Ribera del Duero in 2019.

Paumonok on Long Island has an excellent track record re PV

Of the many I have tried over the years, I second the recommendations for Piramimma and B Leighton. B Leighton’s is the single greatest pure PV I’ve ever had.

2 Likes

Repris didn’t make a 2017 vintage of PV due to the fires. The 2018 will be released to the Membership in November.

2 Likes