Philadelphia, PA

• 1 on marigold …as i remember the chef changed (erin o’Shea, i think) and the menu stayed the same, and then she switched to home country cooking and that didn’t work out, and then she left and it went back to the way it was in the begining …

Thanks for the update on Marigold. IIRC chefs have been Johnny Mac (now Pub & Kitchen and Diving Horse in Avalon); Michael Salamanov (Zahav); Erin O’Shea (Percy Street Barbecue) and current. My best meal there was my first, cooked by Johnny Mac.

I like Sycamore (http://www.sycamorebyo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) in Lansdowne, and love Alba and Blackfish. Koozeedoo is on the short list, as is Bibou.

Heard great things about Bluefin and need to concentrate on stopping in during my sporadic trips to Norristown. Were you in on the Omakase dinner?

RT

Yes [cheers.gif] flirtysmile [welldone.gif]

These are in my neighborhood and are excellent choices. Sola has been around for years with varying ownership but has remained a fine restaurant. The others are much newer but excellent choices.

As a Center City denizen, I could probably go on for days on this topic. Some of the good ones have already been mentioned.

Marigold is a completely different restaurant. When the Solomnov Team (Zahav, etc.) decided to open Percy St. BBQ on South St., they moved Erin to that place and sold Marigold, except for the name. The new cuisine is completely different – a bit of gastro-chemistry stuff. It is good, but quite different from what it was.

In Fairmount, L’oca is always good authentic Northern Italian, but it can be a bit slow at times, especially on weekends.

Bibou is a must try. It is in the old Pif space. The food is excellent and they take care with their wine service.

For some upper scale Greek (as opposed to say, taverna Greek), try Kanella. Very good. Tough to get a reservation.

Getting a little further afield, Le Virtu on East Passyunk down near Snyder is excellent autentic Italian. In fact, there are several nice spots in that East Passyunk area. Not always easy to park – take the Broad Street Line to Snyder or Tasker/Morris.

For those unaware, Davio’s (111 S. 17th St.), a fine upscale Northern Italian Steakhouse, is BYOB with no corkage on Friday Evenings. Moreover, my wine group has had our annual holiday dinner there twice during the past several years with a pre-fix menu and no corkage charge. Very good food and fabulous wine service. Good stems that are changed regularly and appropriate to the wines, accurate pours among 8-10 people, and accurate in serving the correct multiple bottles with each course. Unlike most BYOBS where we do not want the staff to handle the wines or pour, we enjoy it here. Also, unlike most BYOBS, very comfortable seating and setting. Not inexpensive, but when BYOB, very good value.

Lived next door to Matyson for a couple years - dined there often, and always recommend it to my friends/family.

Went to Birchrunville Cafe for the first time Sat. evening. 40 miles from downtown Philly and 28 miles from my home in Bryn Mawr. We reserved 4 months in advance. In my opinion, worth the wait and the schlep. Country inn charm, comfortable, roomy and not loud. Very good service-our waitress was great with added fine wine service, Very good stems, multiples when requested and replaced with care. Very good food and fairly priced at $9 for appetizers and $ 30 for entrees. Limited menu of 6 items each with 5 appetizer specials and 2 entree specials off the menu at same prices. The other couple we went with who were also there for the first time and we agreed it was the kind of place that was worth a visit once a year. Only disappointment was they were out of the wild boar entree which was my first choice. Restaurant web says don’t use GPS to find them. I used Mapquest for good directions and checked it against GPS which actually worked when West Vincent Township was used rather than Birchrunville. Very pleasant evening.

thanks for the heads up on this …Davios’ was one of my 1st projects ever (we were the GC who did the fit out) …its been ages since I have been there

Dmitris’

no web site that I am aware of

Wife and I went to their newest location in our hood.

There are 3 locations

Original @ 3rd / Catherine (Queen Village)

Fitler Square - 22nd / Pine

Northern Liberties - 944 N. 2nd

FS has a liquor license but the other 2 are BYO.

I don’t think any of them take reservations.

Have been to all 3 and the food is generally the same.

Greek / Mediterraen flavored seafood …fresh

wife had grilled octopus and soft shell crabs

I had baba/humus and zuppa di pesce (clams/mussels/scallops/shrimp/tilapia)

wine glasses are VERY small

had 09’ Bedrock Ode to lulu …which was very enjoyable

Robert, I was also at Birchrunville on Saturday ( the early seating), and yes, that wild board is a great dish, although I did not have it on Saturday, focusing instead on the foie-gras stuffed Muscovy Duck Breast, which was excellent. My favorite BYOB in the area, but I have been there about 100 times, and it’s only 15 minutes from the house - I guess one of the few bennies for living in the boonies [wink.gif] .

Enjoyed my first visit to Blackfish in Conshohocken on Sunday evening. I thought I might be underwhelmed due to high expectations but it really was excellent.

Full Review here:

South Jersey Wine & Dine
http://www.ballymote.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Frank Nerney

Went to L’Angolo on 1400 W Porter in South Philly with Party of 6 Sat. evening. Been there several times before, but not recently. Small, Northern Italian, BYOB, hole in the wall with fine food and exceptional service. Interesting menu and nice specials. Loved my veal medallions with fresh porcini mushrooms. Others enjoyed veal chop specials and chicken balsamic. Salads very good as were the 3 pastas we shared. 2 were home made raviolis stuffed with lobster and veal with sage. Add-on 20% tip for party of six which usually means bad service. Not here-waitstaff friendly and efficient and every request (e.g., more bread, extra wine glasses) promptly honored. Surprise of the night- we open our own wines and my friend lost part of the cork in a 2000 Phelps Insignia. Asked the waiter if he could help. Took bottle and returned with it properly decanted. How many BYOBs do you know that have good decanters on hand?

Finally got to Bibou on Sunday, where we had a tasting menu - WOW! Food was sublimely good, one of the best meals I"ve had in a while, with highlights being courses involving the “holy trinity” of foie gras, sweetbreads & bone marrow - the bone marrow dish was exquisite. There was also a ramekin of chilled white coco bean soup with smoked fish to start, a guinea hen terrine, and a few other things I am forgetting right now, but all in, a great meal, and I’d highly recommend this to anyone. Plus, the fact that there is a municipal parking lot next door is a real bonus.

Lord Bob, I hope we get in there Saturday. Right now we’re confirmed for Fond.

Returned to Gemelli’s (BYOB-$3 per bottle corkage) in Narberth last night with 2 friends to kill some Barolo (a G. Conterno and 2 Monprivatos). Mixed reviews. Unlike many Italian restaurants where pastas are shown as a second course, they are combined here with other entrees, and the non-pasta entree choices are very limited, i.e., 1 beef, 1 chicken and 3 fish/shellfish (no veal). That said, our soup appetizer was very good, and, as usual, the 2 pastas we shared were great (delicious and very large portions). We opted for the strip steak with polenta to go with the Barolos. Decent, but overpriced at $29. I will return, but unless more entree choices are offered , I will limit myself to appetizers and pasta. Pleasant place, decent service, great pastas, but minimal entree selections. By the way, the wines were very good.

Bibou posted a Twitter picture last night with Charlotte and Pierre, the proprietors, alongside The Palate. He must have paid a visit for dinner.

And here is the Philly.com blurb about it, which (I’m guessing) quotes from the Hedonist’s Gazette.

Robert Parker toasts Bibou" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully the Parker buzz doesn’t cause any changes. Really nice little place. My condolences on some of the vinous misfortunes.

RT