Philadelphia - quick trip this month (next week!)

Things can change. Pittsburgh went green 6/5 with a return to socially responsible dining. 6/30 with a recent upsurge in cases and all booze is shut down.

Things in PA are now being handled on a county-by-county basis. Allegheny County (Pittsburgh) is as Tom posted, but you can still get drinks in Butler County, just north of Allegheny.

we bring wine all of the time when visiting our daughter and son-in-law in Philadelphia.

County by county basis continues. Philadelphia just announced that they will delay the opening of indoor dining and gyms until August 1st instead of this Friday. They also put in a 14 day quarantine if coming from 15 states. That will unfortunately just cause some city residents to come eat in the suburban counties. One more reason for me not to go near a restaurant.

If licensed premises can’t serve booze, I doubt you’ll be able to byob. For instance, some restaurants could serve take away cocktails but not sangria. The PLCB ruled that allowing sangria would infringe on the rights of restaurants that were licensed to sell wine for takeaway.

no plans to go anywhere right now. I don’t charge corkage at home. [snort.gif]

Sometimes town by town. The City of Easton is cracking down on the massive outdoor parties created by several restaurants and bars that were granted permission to close off a couple of streets and serve guests outside. Each restaurant area is now sectioned off by fencing with strict seating protocols. No drinking on the street/sidewalks or open containers outside of the designated restaurant or bar area.

New PA State mask requirements were issued yesterday with mandatory mask wearing in public, even when outside, if you can’t distance 6+ feet. Apparently there’s an unspecified waiver for eating and drinking, which is supposed to dovetail with proper distancing due to a 50% occupancy limit.

It all seems to be a “clusterf*ck” with lots of people trying to do the right thing and quite a few that aren’t. Restaurants and bars are understandably desperate to generate revenue. Plenty of clients are suffering from Coronavirus burnout and willing to take risks.

RT

We’re still doing plenty of takeout in Bucks County, but after watching people in the opened restaurants while walking/driving by, it will be some time before we “dine in” anywhere

How true. Just picked up a pizza. From the look of things, I wouldn’t have even gone back for take out if there wasn’t a separate entrance.

Philadelphia is doing reasonably well. I’m in the Northern Liberties area and stay mostly here and in Fishtown, where close to everyone is either wearing masks or crossing the street when people approach (unmasked joggers, for instance). Everyone in stores is wearing masks. The tables at outdoor restaurants are okay, some are nicely spaced, others too close for comfort, and the people sitting at them are all taking their masks down right away, but at least they have them and were wearing them when they arrived. I had to go to Center City for an appointment yesterday and it was also pretty solid 80%+ mask wearing.

We are headed to the shore on Saturday and I am pretty sure we won’t venture into town at all. I hear people are behaving very badly, even when restaurants are trying their best.

I’ve heard similarly about the Shore, though sounds like some of the beaches have been ok and full of respectful people during the week, but when the weekend comes, all bets are off

Any updates on the Philly scene? Taking a short trip on November 6th but will be with my kids do vaccine status could come into play. Any thoughts on a cool scene w good food, not super high end and good cocktails/wine? Had heard a few names - harp & crown, dandelion, butcher & singer, and the love. Would appreciate any insight.

Great museum. Just don’t go before dinner, however.

Give Ember & Ash a look - very good food, great cocktail program, decent wine selection and exceptionally nice people. The food isn’t as challenging as it might sound. We’ve taken my 12 year old stepson there with ease. It’s our current for pure pleasure go-to. Laser Wolf is also terrific, though reservations can be hard and the wine list sucks. But cocktails are just fine.

Thank you Sarah, will check them out!

1 Like

Another option is Bloomsday Cafe. The food isn’t as exciting, more solid and good, but the wine list is among the best and most fun in Philly, all things considered. Don’t get me wrong about the food, I eat there quite happily, with an excellent burger and good salads and entrees with local produce, might be more kid friendly. Our good friend is the GM there, so let me know if you want a hook up.

I prepared our Zahav dinner last night at home (via Goldbelly). Dinner was everything it was cracked up to be. It’s an oh my food experience. The lamb shoulder and humus stole the show. They say it’s for 6 people, maybe they meant 6 big people. I could have fed 2 more mouths. This will make a delicious leftover dinner this evening.

Drank with a 2014 Carlisle Syrah Rosellas from SLH.

1 Like