Philadelphia

Thanks Sarah, thought you might be the one to ask here!

We donā€™t normally go out to drink wine, so there may be places I donā€™t know about. If you do go to Bloomsday, which is very nice indeed, ask for Tim and tell him you know me. He is the GM and also responsible for the list. He had Ulusse Collin rosĆ© for like $225 a while ago, havenā€™t looked recently.

2 Likes

Wow! Bloomsday looks right up my alley. Will have to try it the next time we visit my kid at Drexel.

1 Like

Not to hijack this at all - but didnā€™t know how to ā€˜findā€™ folks with Philly ties :grin:

Doing an informal tercero wine tasting next month in the burbs - March 15th. Reach out if youā€™d like more info

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread - and canā€™t wait to read more in this thread and try a few places when we are there - assuming they are kid friendly as weā€™ll have our infant daughter with us.

Cheers

Hey Larry, where in the burbs specifically? Can shoot you a message depending on the direction from the city

Itā€™s in Bala Cynwyd

Let me know if you can make it or if you know others who can. I need to hook you up with the guy whoā€™s setting it up and we can go from there.

And thank you!

Thanks! Opposite side from me, but may be helpful for some others!

Howā€™s the area on Spring Garden Street between Ridge Avenue and Broad Street from a safety perspective . Renting an apartment for a Sat night in late June. I will have my car-not sure of if there is off-street parking .Thanks in advance .

I live about 5 minute drive from there. Itā€™s not the nicest part of the area, Iā€™ll be honest, but Spring Garden is a major arterial, as is Broad, and itā€™s pretty busy most of the time with a number of roads coming in. There is a halfway house right there, I think, and some government buildings, as well as newer shops slightly seedier businesses, but also a bunch of new condos.

PM me if you want to chat any more info. Too bad Iā€™ll be away then!

Suggestions on where to grab a bagel or egg sandwich nearby or on the way to the stadium where the Phillies play?

The pastrami, egg and cheese sandwich at Herschelā€™s at The Terminal is pretty terrific. Just get there before 11. The best bagel places are probably out of your way, wait in line kind of deals, but there are plenty that are just fine. Iā€™ve never been to a Phillies game. The stadium is well outside the city, so you can either think of it as nothing is on the way, or everything is.

Itā€™s in the City, just the southern most part. Not like Giants/Jets stadium. Then again the Pirates are only a 15 minute walk and i havenā€™t gone to a game in a couple of years.

I stand corrected. It feels out of town as I pass it on the way to the airport nearly every week and see it from the highway. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Which is the more relevant observation if Bruce is driving from NJ. I doubt there is anything decent near the stadiums, kinda of a dead zone north of I-95. Eater shows bagels in South Philly, may be worth a detour.

^^ Iā€™m staying on Spring Garden Street between Ridge Avenue and Broad Street ( as of now )

RTM (Reading Terminal Market) doesnā€™t look that far to walk. Detour if youā€™re taking the subway.

Yup plan on going Saturday . And now maybe Sunday too!!

Heading to Philly in a monthā€¦ any new wine bars worth hitting up?

Thereā€™s one that just opened called Le Caveau from the team at The Good King. I havenā€™t been yet, so I canā€™t say much beyond it has had some buzz.

I donā€™t see much reason to venture beyond Bloomsday if Iā€™m going to look for wine outside my own cellar. Timā€™s list is strong.

2 Likes

My favorite breakfast sandwich is at Middle Child Clubhouse, but that would be a drive for you, probably.