Planning a trip to New Orleans...first time post Katrina

Glenn; Thanks for that tip…please tell me more of your recent experience at Stella as I did make a rezzie.
Thanks!
Cheers!
Marshall [drinks.gif]

food was fine @ Stella’s but the list is pretty pedestrian now, disappointing. had duck 5-ways, would have enjoyed a Burg from a century other than this one.

hit W.I.N.O. last night, such a fun place. went with two g-friends and burned thru $200 in strip bar speed! really fun wines BTG, over 120 offerings, a must stop. just W of Poydras on Tchoupitoulas St and walkable from Quarter hotels, easier access from Canal St Hotels.

Maximo’s is no longer owned by Jason and just re-opened end of last year. still solid, if uninspiring Italian in a super fun physical plant, sit out on the balcony upstairs. wine list also sadly not what it once was. had a 01 Nardi BdM that wasn’t memorable.

Thanks all!! [drinks.gif] Just printed out the entire thread and off we go! [dance2.gif]
There will be some kind of report when we get home! [friends.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Everyone; Thank you for all your suggestions…we [drinks.gif] had a marvelous time. It would take forever to go through our itinerary but suffice it to say New Orleans deserves your support. The people were wonderful, the food marvelous and the overall vibe…Improving! My advice is also to rent a car and see a bit more of Louisiana as well. Please PM me if anyone would like some specifics…

Cheers!
Marshall [1974_eating_popcorn.gif]

Marshall, I know some of the travel junkies here (okay, me) would love to hear more. And see some pictures! If you’re motivated to do so, I’d love to see a post about the highlights.

Melissa; The people of New Orleans and Louisiana were the highlight [give_heart.gif] They were genuinely warm and helpful and just seemed glad to have people returning to visit. New Orleans is certainly on its’ way back but more work still needs to be done. If you are spending a good amount of time (week or so), I would certainly recommend renting a car for day trips as well as driving around the New Orleans area (avoid driving in the Quarter). Great day trips include Avery Island and “Cajun country”, Pontchartrain Vineyards and Abita Brewery, Plantation Road, and especially a swamp/bayou tour. I highly recommend Pearl River Eco-Tours out of Slidell Louisiana…great people and very knowledgeable. In “Cajun country”, we loved Crawfish Town USA in Breaux Bridge. I have never seen so many people having so much fun eating so many crawfish!

In New Orleans itself the food is still phenomenal! The oysters were lovely and we did serious damage at Luke’s, Acme, Bourbon House and Drago’s. I have never had the chargrilled oysters before but the ones at Drago’s (in Metairie) were exemplary. As far as po’boys; our favorites were Mahony’s, Stanley, Rip’s on the Lake (Mandeville) and Mike Schaeffer (in Slidell)…man, as I write this, I cannot believe how much we ate (and drank)! [heat.gif] For serious dinners, we really enjoyed Cochon, Stella, and August. Stella and August were our blow out anniversary meals and both delivered big time…in both we did “chefs dinners” and August was the full 10 course degustation. [drinkers.gif]

Somehow, we manages to sneak in a couple of breakfasts also…Mother’s was fun but Camellia grill was superb!

These were just some of the highlights (sorry, I don’t know how to post pix), but it was a great visit and I would not hesitate to go back… [notworthy.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

I’d love to visit. I’ve never been to New Orleans, and after Katrina, I wondered if it would ever have the same draw.

Pontchartrain Vineyards

What were the wines like?

Thanks!

This thread has been very helpful. I’ll be in NOLA June 17th through the 23rd on business and pleasure. So far I have reservations for Herb Saint, August and Stella’s. Also plan on doing lunch at Jacque Imo-Cafe at least one day while there.

If there’s any board members there during that timeframe that would like to get together to share a bottle or two let me know.

Herb Saint is a classic and i am sorry i missed dining @ Jacques-Imo’s - which is only open for dinner if memory serves.

this is from W.I.N.O. and my trip a few months back…

I like your handbag, Glenn. Very stylish, yet practical.

You would notice something like that… [gheyfight.gif]

everyone who see the photo loves that bag!

I guess it’s the way it matches your eyes!

Or teeth. Or something. [shrug.gif]

Does anybody know if slacks and button down short sleeve shirts are OK at Herb Saint, Stella! and August? Wondering if I need to throw a sport coat into the bag.

weekday or weekend res? Stella and Herb Saint should be cool without a sportscoat i think.

You will be fine with slacks and a polo even… Things have gotten a lot more lax over the past few years, it’s a Christmas eve tradition to eat at Antoines, which is one of the oldest and [notworthy.gif] restaurants in the city… This past year, there were many people dinning in Hawaiian shirts and polos (in past it was coat and tie dress code)…

If it hasnt been said, W.I.N.O on Tchoupitoulas is a MUST for anyone visiting the city…

[imnewhere.gif]

Todd we ate at Rock -N- Sake in the warehouse district (Fulton St)

Oh that poor girl at the table across from us [emot-pwn.gif]

Thanks guys. Did HerbSaint last night. Lot’s and lots of jeans with casual shirts there. Doing August tonight and Stella tomorrow night. Left the coat at home. Damn good I did too. Man it’s not only freaking hot but miserably humid right now.

Another vote for HerbSaint (712 St. Charles Ave) is fan-friggin’ tastic.

the foie gras and bananas foster french toast are off the charts at Stella’s. One of our favorite places.