Planning a visit to the Finger Lakes

I think another one not to miss is KEMMETER -

On the Western side of Seneca Lake, and down the road from Anthony Road, Johannes Reinhardt is producing some excellent wines from various single vineyard lots. A really cute, tiny tasting room has all the charm the big boys have - I really like his wines.

We visited last summer. Stayed in Geneva and had an excellent dinner at Ports.

Evan’s book is a joy to read. We used it as our guide for the best wineries to visit. Only one we didn’t visit was Heart and Hands and then only for logistical reasons.

You don’t need to go further than that.

Ps: the dry whites are top notch at his recommended wineries. We didn’t taste reds.

+1…Have eaten at Moros Table couple times and it is very good. If you do get to Skaneateles (where I grew up), you should grab lunch at the Sherwood Inn. There is also a relatively good winery down West Lake Road called Anyela’s. Get a bottle of Reisling and a cheese plate and take them out to the patio and just look at the lake while ur relaxing! Fun stuff!

Wow, I was off the board a few days and I come back to so many wonderful replies. Thank you so much! I have some great ideas here! champagne.gif

Maria

All these restaurant recommendations are huge for me as well. My company is now working with many of these wineries and we need to provide as up to date of lodging and restaurant recommendations as we can - these will all help, thanks to everyone!

Hi Maria,

Looking at your location reminds me of a story. In 1985 I was at a technical conference in England. I bumped into an old friend, who like me had grown up in NJ. We were reminiscing about this and that, often mentioning NJ. While we were talking, a man came over and stood with us. I did not know him. I think he was just trying not to be left out during the coffee break. Anyway, he just stood there listening for a long while. Then, when there was a break in the conversation, he said in a thick French accent, “So you are both from New Jersey?” We both said yes. He smiled and asked “What exit?”

Funny story Ken!

Hi Ken,
I actually do ask people “what exit” so that I get an idea of where they live here in NJ if it’s a town I’m unfamiliar with. And it’s not only which exit, but which interstate…the Garden State Parkway or the NJ Turnpike! neener

Maria Exit 4!

I lived in Middletown from age 1-12 when you had to get off the GSP at 117 because 114 didn’t exist yet. I spent years 12-18 in Wayne, which is a pretty good ways from Exit 153 and 154. I did do my UG at Exit 9 of the NJTP!

I just visited several of the wineries mentioned above today, notes are here

Though I didn’t stop on this trip both Anthony Road (yes try the sweet wines) and Ravines are recommended, and + ∞ on Evan’s book.

For food, nothing gourmet but for a quick stop the FLX Wienery on 14 a few miles North of Watkins Glen has all home-made burgers/wieners/sides and all with a tasty/unique twist. I will definitely be back to explore more of their menu. http://www.flxwienery.com

Great info in this (and other threads), thanks to everyone who’s participated. We’re heading there in a couple of weeks. We rented a house on the north end of Cayuga Lake (near Seneca Falls) with my wife’s cousin and her family. We’ll be there a whole week, but we’ll probably only have one day for tasting and we’re considering doing a little trail down the west side of Seneca Lake. I’m about halfway through Evan Dawson’s book, and the places we’re considering are:

• Ravines
  • Fox Run
  • Red Tail Ridge
  • Anthony Road
  • Kemmeter
  • Hermann J. Wiemer
  1. Which places should we prioritize? There’s no way we can hit all of these places. My palate will be totally shot and our kids will mutiny. We’ve taken them on tasting trips before, mostly to Leelenaw/Traverse City, and they’re well-behaved but 6 stops would really be pushing it. For folks who have been there, which places would you recommend cutting, either due to style or “not a good place for kids?” My wife’s palate runs toward higher-acid side of the spectrum. Wouldn’t call her an acid freak, and she likes a little sweetness, but avoids wines that are heavy/cloying/generic. Reisling, Chenin Blanc, and Gewurtz are favorites with unoaked Chard, Pinot Grigio, and Kerner close behind. For reds, she likes Barbera, lighter Pinot Noir, Tempranillo, and some Blaufranksich/Lemberger.

2. Are there any places along the “trail” that will be a good break for the kids? Parks, hikes, fun shops, ice cream, interesting sites, etc? We’re thinking of doing 2 stops, taking a little break, maybe doing a picnic lunch somewhere, then probably 2 more in the afternoon. Do any of these places have picnic areas? Or is there any place along the shore that would be good?

3. Any recommendations for wine shops in the area, especially ones that carry other FL wines? We may try to pick up a few bottles from some of the places we won’t get to.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Hi Chuck -

Add Silver Thread to your list, aside from producing brilliant wines, it’s one of the most gorgeous sites on Seneca Lake.

Not a bad list, can you break your trip up a little (2 1/2 days of tasting)?
Red Tail Ridge makes a Blaufranksich/Lemberger , so you may want to taste that. Anthony Road has some nice wines that are only sold at the winery (usually the Martini Rheinhardt selections) so you may want to bring those home. Most of these are on the West side of Seneca lake. Are you planning to go to any of the other lakes? I know nothing about Kemmeter.

1. Are there any places along the “trail” that will be a good break for the kids? Parks, hikes, fun shops, ice cream, interesting sites, etc? We’re thinking of doing 2 stops, taking a little break, maybe doing a picnic lunch somewhere, then probably 2 more in the afternoon. Do any of these places have picnic areas? Or is there any place along the shore that would be good?

Hmm…there is always Watkins Glen SP in the village of the same name. Down from Glenora to the lake is a pretty waterfall (private property, but you can see it from the road and stop there at the bottom of the lake to look); Miles Winery has a nice property at the bottom of the lake which would make a nice picnic stop. If you want to buswhack, you can pretty much walk down any creek and find waterfalls/gorges, but you would have to be wearing the right clothes and be in good shape. On the other side (east) of Seneca Lake there are even more wineries and perhaps more services like restaurants, and there are trails in the FL National Forest that can be fun (mostly forest walking, not too many gorges/creeks since it is ridgeland).

1. Any recommendations for wine shops in the area, especially ones that carry other FL wines? We may try to pick up a few bottles from some of the places we won’t get to.

Northside in Ithaca (which is actually on the SOUTH side of Ithaca), rt.13, has the best selection I’ve seen of FL wines. If you get a case, there is a discount, and Buttermilk Falls SP is only a mile or so away from there which is another beautiful walk. Stewart Park is a good picnic spot on the south end of Cayuga Lake.

Planning a trip of my own October 1-7th, and may have two half days to visit wineries. Are all of these places open to walk-in tastings, or is it best to call in advance?

Day 1

• Ravines
  • Anthony Road
  • Hermann Wiemer

Day 2

• Bloomer Creek
  • Lamoreaux Landing or Silver Thread
  • Boundary Breaks

Of the restaurants mentioned, which ones would be a good bet as family friendly (will bring a 2 and 4 year old)

Thanks for all the useful advice, this thread was a great starting point for planning.

Boundary Breaks does not have a tasting room yet, so I would drop them and add Red Tail Ridge (who are not far from Anthony Road).

Also - Red Newt Cellars is just down the street from Bloomer Creek, and worth visiting as well.

It’s been years since I’ve been there, but back when I lived in Ithaca (2000-2003), I thought the Heights was the best place in town, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Good food and a none-too-shabby wine list, to boot. Before there was Dano’s Heuriger, Dano had a somewhat more fine-dining oriented place downtown that was just called Dano’s. That was pretty good, too, but it’s long gone.

This time of year they may be very busy, so it’s wise to call.

I preferred Boundary Breaks over Red Newt if I had to choose between the two. I would definitely recommend an appointment with Johannes at Kemmeter, I could talk with him for hours. Most of the rest you can drop in (check hours i.e. Bloomer Creek is highly recommended but only open for drop ins on the weekends; I’ve also talked with Kim for a long time). Not a nice dinner with wine but for a tasty lunch stop I really enjoyed FLX Wienery.

Hi all,

This is a timely thread for me. Going to be in Geneva this weekend for a wedding. No time to visit wineries, but I am going equipped with this Asimov article (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/16/dining/reviews/in-the-finger-lakes-devotion-to-riesling-shows.html) and now this thread.

Can anyone recommend a good retailer of local wines in the Geneva/Seneca area? Have some extra room in the suitcase and looking to pack it with local gems that aren’t widely distributed…

Thanks in advance.

It’s a beautiful time to be visiting. It’s too bad you can’t visit any of the local wineries as you are 10 minutes away from Ravines, Fox Run and Red Tail Ridge to name a few of my local favorites.

If you are flying in and have time to make a side trip either coming or going, http://www.centuryliquorandwines.com/ or http://www.marketviewliquor.com/ are the biggest and probably best sources for local wines in the Rochester area. I prefer Century as I think their selection is best. If you are staying in Geneva and only have time to stop locally, then http://www.headleysliquor.com/ or Pedulla's Wine & Liquor are pretty much the only Geneva stores…

If you have time Microclimate Wine Bar is a very nice local place that has a nice selection of wines. Their flights comparing Finger Lakes varietals with world varietals is quite nice…

PM me if you have any specific questions! I hope you have a great visit!