Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help.

If you head north, don’t miss a chance to head up the coast.

We left from Sebastapol, went straight to the coast then north. It was a bright, clear day and the drive was spectacular.

Our destination was Peay. We had a wonderful visit. Peay wines are surpurb.

It was a whole day … Up and back and could have included some other wineries (Hirsch) or been a stopover on the way to the way up Sonoma Coast.

FYI MacPhail is relocating their tasting room from Healdsburg to Sebastapol in May/June '14. They will now be at 6761 McKinley St., Sebastopol, CA 94572. Primarily a pinot producer with maybe one Chardonnay.

FIFY!
A lot of wineries are moving their production and/or tasting rooms there as the site popularity increases.

Added Dry Creek Valley wineries today. Let me know if I missed any.

A quick look at your list for DCV and I don’t see Pedroncelli. You also list Frick as Alexander Valley but they are in DCV.

Pedroncelli is listed on Canyon Rd, first entry under the Dry Creek heading. That’s where I moved Frick to as well. Thanks! Want to add footnotes to wine styles for each producer. If anyone wants to help out with that shoot me your suggestions via PM or in the thread.

Starting to add restaurants, that will take a while but it’s a start. Needed a break from winery entries. Hotels and Inns to come. If you have preferred transportation services such as wine drivers let me know and I can add those under a sub-heading as well.

Also thinking of a Berserker Rating system of 1-5 stars or berserkers that can be added to each listing. What do you all think of that idea?
Berserker Rated [berserker.gif] [berserker.gif] [berserker.gif] [berserker.gif]

This is going to take forever but it should be good when it’s done.

If you have a Visa Signature card you can get free tastings at these wineries:

http://www.sonomawine.com/visa-signature-perks/vs-winery-guide

For reasons I’ll explain below, I felt compelled to play around with the Google Map Engine (Lite) today. My original thought ran into a brick wall, so I figured I’d take all the hard work Brian has put into this thread, and incorporate it into a map, both to satisfy my curiosity, and perhaps “pay it back” a bit. Brian’s work on this thread deserves a “Thread of the Year” nomination.

I’ve basically taken Brian’s data (he’s done the heavy lifting) and entered it into the Google map engine. One of the benefits is that Google attaches, for most wineries, addresses, websites and phone numbers. As I got further through Brian’s list, I also slowed down and started to xref the websites to confirm hours and such. Which is my excuse for only getting through “Glen Ellen” for the time being. A note to anyone who uses this a few months down the road - check the winery’s website and/or call. While it doesn’t happen often, I did note a few changes in schedules and such.

I think the map itself is relatively self explanatory. Should work on both laptop and mobile, but the mobile looks kluggy for me with the left panel (which I can’t figure out how to hide).

Background:
I started a separate project today with Google Map Engine Lite, and ran into a huge fail. I wanted to start a collaborative map among Berserkers to map favorite wine retailers around the world, so that as we travel, we could have a handy, ready-to-go reference. A map where each of us could enter our favorite retailers from our home towns or places we’ve visited. I’ve used things like Yelp in the past, and politely don’t trust most retailer reviews that are available through that kind of forum. The folks here, who frankly buy a lot of wine, have the opinions I value.

But anyway, that didn’t work. Apparently Google isn’t that far along in offering map collaboration, at least not without their costly enterprise version, which is a show-stopper for what I wanted to do.

So, what’s represented above is my fallback option for learning about Google Maps. As a byproduct, I also learned a bunch about Sonoma:)

Thanks again to Brian for pulling together all the raw data. A huge undertaking. Not sure if you will find the map incrementally valuable, but it’s been a fun diversion for me one way or the other on a crappy MN weather day;)

Cheers,
Jim

1 Like

Brian, thanks for all the hard work. A great resource for any visitor.

My son is going to Sonoma with a group of friends next month and was happy to have some choices.

Dude you killed it! [worship.gif] I had something like this envisioned when I started this. Thanks so much for the effort. With your permission I’d like to link the map to the OP. Maybe when we are finished with this thing Todd can pin it to the top of the forum listing as a PSA of sorts.

By all means Brian - go for it. I’ll try to finish it off in the next couple of days as time permits. Cheers!

great work Brian and Jim - thanks!

1 Like

Latest update has web links, hours of operation and varieties/varietals produced for each winery. Nothing yet for Sonoma Valley Wineries. (Thanks Paul pileon ) Slowly adding restaurants, non-wine related activities.

Missing something? I know I am. Shoot me a PM.

Nicely done guys. Thanks.

how’s traffic from calistoga to RRBC friday afternoon? And how busy is RRBC around 5pm on a friday? :smiley:

Seriously? It’s probably 40-45 min (normally 30 min) and then the wait for a table at RRBC at that time of day is another hour easy.

ugh. kinda want to go in and get a few growlers so don’t really need a table. My last appointment is over at 4:30 in calistoga then dinner at adhoc at 5:45. I think it’s cutting it too close. Agree?

It’ll never happen.

thought as much, sigh. Thanks!

Yeah - there is usually a line just to get your growler filled at the end of the day - especially after 5pm. After a few 30 minute waits, I started going mid-week on my lunch break when I was working on that side of the world…