PLCB turning off the lights...

Loaded question!

We can legally order wine from out-of-state wineries that have registered with the Commonwealth.

We can buy from in-state Supermarkets and ‘Bottle shops’. I’ve not seen a supermarket with wines worth buying. There are some very good, although expensive, bottle shops but the PLCB has cut their supply during the pandemic.

We cannot legally bring wine purchased outside of PA into PA but there is a ton of ‘border bleed’. My understanding is that right now Police in neighboring states are discouraging shoppers with PA plates.

My understanding is that the PLCB contends that it is illegal for Retailers to ship to PA. That doesn’t stop many from doing so (I’ve been told).

Simple enough?

The adjacent OH counties and Morgantown WV stopped selling to PA customers. The shelves were being stripped bare. For wine crossing the state lines never helped, the selection is worse than the PLCB.

Please post/email when this goes live.

If you are in Pa and in need of a fix, just reach out to a fellow Berserker. They surely have enough to share and still have enough to survive and withstand a Cold War era supply shutoff. If you live in the People’s Republic of PA, you learn how to hoard and adapt. :slight_smile:

It’s not particularly hard to get wine here.

I have been pandemic planning for over 25 years. I just didn’t realize it until recently.

Tom - I’ll be sure and let you know. Thanks for your interest!

It’s really fantastic sake, though not cheap. I admit to being biased, but in this case, we loved the sake well before he was ever licensed to import in the first place - in fact, so far, it is the ONLY thing he imports! Jonathan has been working with the brewery for more than 5 years to get exclusive rights to their higher end bottlings, all the while racing against a Chinese importer wanting to take everything they had. Only his long standing love of the brand and relationship with several Japanese supporters made it possible. We took delivery of the first big shipment just before all the restaurants and stores shut down. Talk about timing.

Unless one wishes to get good wine at a reasonable price while complying with the law (the last part is the kicker). Ultimately, I agree.

Sarah - I’d also love to get the details on the saki, Can a complete saki neophyte appreciate world class or should I be educating my palate first?

Sure! Your first lesson is that it’s sake (with an e) not saki (with an i). :slight_smile:

I think you can absolutely appreciate a special sake without having tasted many others! It tastes great. What you won’t be able to grasp without context is what makes it so different, complex and flexible in terms of food pairing. Can’t hurt to try some others in the meantime, though, to get a handle on what you like. Paul Willenberg, who participates on this board sometimes, distributes some excellent sake at very good prices and could easily put a sampler together for you I’m sure.

I don’t want to get too commercial here, since I don’t think that’s allowed, even though I’ve disclosed my 1 degree of separation from the ITB individual. I will definitely put up whatever kind of post is allowed when the sake is available for purchase and am happy to answer any questions via PM. If times were normal, I’d offer to host a nice big tasting at our house. Maybe in a few months.

Unless one expects expert advice/support from staff intimately familiar with many of the wines and their producers. There’s a soul-less-ness to most wine buying experiences.

RT

Sounds like what is needed is protesters with placards outside the PLCB. [snort.gif]

The protesters were a block away and it’s doubtful many PLCB people (if any) were actually working inside. Just your typical New Deal government building with other offices inside.

RT