Please don't ship me wine via FedEx

missed my Lf delivery today at 2:00. driver came back by at 5:00.
have been very pleased with fed ex

+1

No problems with either so far, and that’s over more than 20 years. Hope I haven’t just jinxed myself.

I don’t understand all these redirects. If you know they’ll be shipping via FedEx, why not tell them to ship to you c/o the nearest FedEx Print and Ship? There’so no extra fee, and no need to intervene to redirect.

Things have changed several times since I first posted. Both now notify me when wine is coming, although they both tend to get the date wrong on occasion, so I stick around the house all day for nothing. They both now allow me to pickup at their local store. But FedEx’s nearest location is ten miles away and UPS just down the street. The most consistently good is GSO, perhaps because we’re not far from the wine country.

Thinking back I usually wait around my office for the FEDEX guy. One time I forgot and stayed at lunch long and the yellow tag was on the door. Sure enough he came back and delivered it at the end of the day. Maybe FEDEX success comes down to the driver???

Seems to come up every shipping window. I just easily picked up some redirected FedEx shipments. Trying to chase down UPS that no one was home for. And UPS mychoice or whatever they call it is a joke.

Kind of funny, as the UPS MyChoice works great for me.

Got home last night to the first shipment of the year. My wife was able to sign for it. It was from FedEx, and the box was obliterated. Styro is everywhere. The wines managed to survive, but labels are beat and two capsules are torn. Fourth time in the last 3 years that FedEx has tried really hard to destroy my wine. It’s not the driver doing this. It’s the whole handling chain.

I have finally given up on this and decided to have all of my FedEx boxes shipped to a local 24 hour Kinkos down the street. It solved all of my issues with FedEx.

Now, UPS is starting to cause problems.
2 boxes shipped as a unit from Rhys. Both arrive in ATL on Thursday. Only one scanned.
I get that one on Friday. The other is scanned at 5:30pm on Friday. UGH! Now I have to wait until Monday with my Rhys (most likely all of my Skyline 2012 and Swan Terrace 2012) sitting in the UPS distribution center. How do they do this?

I was shipping a couple bottles to my brother for his 50th and FedEx questioned me about the package and refused to accept it, so my guess is that it is largely dependent on the office you visit.

The boxes are not taped together. They are just separate units as far as any carrier is concerned. Sucks, but true. That’s how FedEx lost my computer monitor, but delivered my computer in 2011.

My current favorite shipping option is FedEx Ground because the regular driver arrives reliably by 9 am, before I leave for work; FedEx Home arrives later in the day, often when I’m at work. UPS is also a late deliverer, but now I just have wine shipments sent to their depot only 10 minutes away.

Sometimes when I ask for FedEx Ground the package arrives FedEx Home; one retailer said that this would be automatic for deliveries going to a residence, but I haven’t found that that’s consistently the case.

I haven’t had real screwups from either shipper, but I completely agree that it comes down to one’s local situation; I also agree that expedited shipping makes more sense (but it’s gotten so expensive.)

UPS My Choice works great for me; the FedEx equivalent is, in my experience, useless.

Just received a FedEx Ground shipment from Woodland Hills Wines; the package left the store on Friday, arrived at my house on Wednesday, so clearly kept moving during at least part of the weekend. Fastest coast-to- coast weekend-inclusive shipping I’ve ever had.

Conversely, a UPS shipment from N. California, which also left on Friday, seems to be lost in limbo; no predicted arrival time, no tracking info past Friday (Napa to Oakland). The retailer checked with UPS and were told that it’s in transit but my local UPS customer center says it doesn’t appear to have been scanned at any point, not even last Friday. Normally, it would arrive tomorrow, so we’ll see.

I’ve had a bunch of packages this shipping season that went thru UPS’S system with very little to no tracking scans. Just showed up at the destination. Always on schedule.

I’ve been having lots of problems with them lately. Never an issue in Northern VA, but out of Norfolk they pretty much suck. I had two, prority overnight envelopes last week that took four days to reach the recipient. Another, sent North instead of South took 3 days for a first overnight package. Tracking info on all of them showed no exceptions and no delivery attempts were even made. I’m hoping this is a temporary, local issue. In all cases, FedEx never reached out to me or even attempted an explanation. I just got a ‘sorry, we’re experiencing weather issues’. Tom Hanks would’ve never let this happen!

not certain if my point of view is of any relevance as our needs are commercial - usually.
If we are shipping one case or so, we have similar issues as mentioned in this thread, however, often our shipping is above one case and because I do not do the actual job I do not know the cut off point, i want to suggest that if it is worth it check out the commercial shipping co’s who specialize in wine.
As I said, I do not handle logistics in our business so I do not know the threshold, I do believe that the staff has moved away from (our shipper of choice for small shipments is Fedex) when they can to a wine logistics co. with offices in several domestic and international locations - worth checking out.
Price may be slightly less, but the handling I would hope is more what we would be looking for.
Wg

I hate FedEx.

Maybe loath is a better term.

Dale,

That’s pretty much what happened… the package arrived today, held at the UPS customer center as I’d wished so I could pick it up before heading to work. Maybe a day late by their own estimates, but the weather had cooled down so no harm no foul. I was surprised, though, that no one from UPS that I contacted seemed to know what was going on or why my own attempts to track or reroute the package want to work.

My wine shipment from Chicago toLos Angeles is lost. Fedex does not know when I will receive it. It was due today. It is 90+ degrees here. The wine will sit in a non air cooled warehouse for the weekend at best. These ar 10 old Burgundy wines. Thanks Fedex

90 degrees today in Chicago? Are you serious?
Wasn’t there a snow storm a few days back?
How do you folks survive? You’ve got to be … I don’t know. tough…
I’d become comatose after one winter in Chicago, sorry,

Funny, I had a venture about 16 years back, a scientist created a wine shipper that would keep wine steady temperature for at least 4 days inside no matter the ambient temp. outside. People did not want to pay the 20ish extra dollars for the shipper.
I never could understand… a case of wine is so valuable, the dreams of pleasure of that extraordinary quality and it is damaged in shipping…

I am constantly redirecting. So, FedEx for me.