POLL: Top vintage for red Bordeaux 1980 - 1999

Wait a bit longer on the 1998 Figeac if you can bring yourself to, it will be even better in five or six years.

The last bottle I opened was served to a group that included someone who claimed to prefer the considerably inferior 1996 Cheval Blanc, saying that she had been “weaned on Cheval Blanc”. Still ranks quite highly among the irritating things I’ve heard said at a wine dinner.

I use the “suckled on Petrus” line often at night clubs. Must be said in the right pitch and with a rather smug expression.

Thanks for the tip on the Figeac, As I only have one bottle. I just checked wine searcher, and the average price made me choke. And cry.

1 Like

I voted '89.

Difficult choice between 82, 89 and 90. '82s from top producers have been exceptional, but it seems to me that 89 and 90 both had perhaps greater breadth. However, my perception may be attributable to sampling bias. It seems that 89 and 90 wines have been very consistent and good across the board.

Next I would say 96 and 98.

Just imagine a vintage which had combined 1996 Médoc with 1998 right bank… now, that would have given 1982 a run for its money!

1 Like

Deleted.

Must be the Burgundy drinkers.

2 Likes

Deleted.

I am still working through the first growths. I’ve had all but Margaux as of last night. We had a 2000 Latour last night, and it was my first. I have to admit that the Latour was a bit disappointing. It did not wow me, and when considering the price…

I’d like to get a bottle of Margaux now, but not sure what vintage to look for? This is to simply drink after it rests for a month after shipping. I do not flip wines. I just buy and drink.

The 1990 and 1996 Ch. Margaux are absolutely off the charts, and far and away my favorites vintages of Ch. Margaux.

1 Like

Thanks William for articulating this so well.

Another vote for 1982 here. Have had the good fortune to have been served the 1982 Latour a couple of times about 6 year ago. I do not score wines but this was perfect and was everything I could ever dream of in a Bordeaux. Have had many lovely 1982s and I am not concerned about them being over the hill as others here seem to be (each to his own)

Pity that 96 did so badly. Some strong wines left bank.

What would be fun would be to do a poll for most underrated vintage in the same period. Would be inclined to go with '81, '98 or '99 I think.