Poll: Worst Bordeaux Vintage 1980-2013

I like ‘94 as well, especially on the left bank. Leoville Barton, Pontet Canet, Pichon Lalande were all fantastic last year. Definitely made in a “classic” style though!

1 Like

Ummmmmmmm, No.

LOL, it’s like 1995, only less!

I lucked out and bought L’Angelus that year. It’s too expensive now but it’s great and didn’t have as much of an edge as a lot of the 94s.

We did a vertical with 94/95/96 Pontet Canet last year and they were all pretty close in quality. The 94 showed really well though it’s still very tannic and I suspect it will be so through my lifetime.

A 2002 Cos showed surprisingly well for me last year. Rather more delicate than other Cos’s from the decade but excellent balance and depth.

Yeah, brain freeze here of selective memory hitsfan. I don’t own any 01 and 02 was my first dabbling So…but I’d did go long on 03 pileon So there’s that!

(02 leoville barton has always been a nice wine for me)

I don’t think 01 is quite as good as 85, but it might be the closest thing since. It’s that vintage you can drink while waiting for all the “better” ones, and after.

I don’t remember ever tasting any 1991 or '92. I may have, or easily may not have. My cellar was fully loaded from the good years of the '80s, including 1990, and had no interest at that time tasting wines already panned by the critics. Most of us are poor judges of poor vintages. That’s an unpleasant task best left to those who make a living by taking a hit for the masses.

I voted for 1984 just because everything from 84 I have ever tried tastes like ass. And why is 2003 in here? Didn’t 2003 get great scores at the left bank especially st-estephe?

pepsi

Mouton 2002 is outstanding, imho better than 2000 - as are some others … the vintage is not great but also not bad

Since the worst vintage isn’t an option in this multiple choice poll, I’ll have to second the above.

… and this is (iyho)?

No. 2001 is actually a very good vintage.

I was torn among 1984, 1987, and 1991 so I picked 2003. They are IMHO such ponderous wines that I just don’t get any enjoyment from them. Also, I don’t really know if I have had any 1991s, have had few 1987 and have not had a 1984 in a long time. Thus, 2003s and how much I dislike them are more fresh in my mind since I taste them more often (although I have not purchased any). Frankly, I would have been tempted to say 2009 if this had been on the list.

I cannot pick 2013 because when I was in Bordeaux in 2014 I tasted a few barrel samples of 2013s that tasted decent, sort of like 2002s when they were young. Maybe it is just what William said above (more available resources) but whatever the wines are not as bad as some vintages without the technology IMHO.

Overall, I find this poll harder than the better vintage polls because I don’t drink these very often.

I would love to hear the rationales for people who voted for 2011 or 2012.

I plead guilty unthread [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Going through all the options you must think one of these is the worst:
1981, 82, 83, 85, 86, 88, 89, 90, 95, 96, 98, 99, 2000, 01, 04, 05, 06, 08, 09, 10
[wow.gif]

I don’t know for sure, but I can promise you that when I make up my mind Chateau Pavie will be the wine of the vintage!

I picked 2003. I’m sure there are good examples, but it represents everything I dislike about where Bordeaux can go wrong.

Deleted.

since i’ve never had a 2013 or a 1991 I voted 1984.

Like? I’ve had some that I’ve loved!