Ponsot and ripeness

Added acid can ruin a wine in my experience. Maybe a little, early in the winemaking process might be tolerable. I’m not sure.

This certainly is an interesting discussion, and the concept of ‘no new oak’ whereas others are using a good percentage of it certainly can make these wines stand out and seem ‘more pure’ to some . . .

Cheers.

An honest question - how would you know if it was added and when?

Cheers.

On the other side of the spectrum on Friday night I opened a 2013 Geantet-Pansiot Bourgogne Pinot Fin. Respected producer to my knowledge and the bottle shop owner cut me a discount on the bottle to secure my purchase. Man, what a bad wine for my palate. Honestly if I was blinded on it I would have thought it was a new world Pinot and would have probably rolled out California as my pick.

More thread drift, but couldn’t help it, as I had the exact some experience and descriptor:cali Pinot. I posted than on an fb burgundy group, a remark received with much dudgeon by a big drinker there. They were speaking of his higher end stuff, so maybe not the same, but I have my doubts, and now another data point. Thanks, Andrew, for confirming!

I wouldn’t. I’m just speculating.

I see this in new world wines as well. Ripe wines with modest oak treatments can still taste pretty fresh and balanced. I’ve been leaning towards the conclusion that oak is much more the culprit in wines that seem overly soulless/modern/international/spoofy than ripeness and late picking.

Maybe I should make a new thread?

So I’ve been told that Ponsot went to great lengths scientifically to test the closures against the best natural corks over a 5 year period and measure o2 ingress. In the end he chose the technology. I don’t know if DIAM, which is conglomerate glued together, is a bette or worse solution based on the acidity of wine. On both there seem to be some movement on the high end towards these closures but I have always run into my aversion to any loss of the romance of pulling natural cork and the inevitable question of customers looking at it as lesser quality.

yeah, I really trust Ponsot. Not. I put an empty bottle in the oven at 350 for an hour and his temp sensitive dot didn’t change. Great science.

I also repeated this experiment, first by leaving the bottle out in the sun during a Chicago summer for a week, and then baking the bottle similarly for an hour. No change.

Regarding the plastic closures, I think 2008 was the first vintage bottled with those. I thought the 2008 Clos Vougeot VV was one of the best wines I tasted out of that vintage. As to whether or not those closures will stand the test of time, I’ll roll the dice, the wine was that good.

Thx for the datapoint on the closure. AFA the temperature control, I thought they now use EProvenance?