Post your Unpopular Wine Opinion

BS

Loving this thread and it’ll be interesting to see where it goes. I’m hoping that it stays civil :slight_smile:

Bobby Orlando doesn’t know as much about wine as he pretends, he just uses it as an alcohol delivery device so he can seduce unsuspecting Jewish men.

This isn’t really an opinion so much as it is incontrovertible fact.

Yea, it smells like diesel fuel and tastes almost as bad.

With a few exceptions, natural wine tastes bad.

Travel shock is real.

Zalto stems are nothing special.

Bah humbug time:

Burgundy lovers have to rationalize away the fact that most bottles they open aren’t as good as they thought they would be and rarely worth the money they spent on it.

The concept that the “last glass” was best may be true but it’s only because the taster was buzzed not because the wine opened up.

Bottles tasted second and third days are never as fresh or interesting as the initial day.

People may use the intellectual aspect of wine collecting to mask overconsumption or over-purchasing, which in turn mask other psychological issues. (Ouch!)

I do not love all Italian wine, and THIS is the major explanation. It is no accident that unlike cabernnet, syrah, heck, even pinot and grenache, there is almost nowhere else in the world sangiovese is grown and vinified into something interesting…

I have to take issue with number three. Some wines built for the long haul will bloom on the second day. Bartolo Mascarello’s 2010 Barolo is a good example.

Champagne is the exact same thing as sparkling wine.

Tie for the most meaningless information on U.S. wine labels:

– Health warning.

– Alcohol content.

Don’t really consider it a board favorite as much as Selosse being a cult wine/figure especially with the Champenois.

People who are mean to Alice Feiring are that way because they desire her.

I like this one!

Wood aged fortified wines from Portugal have the most depth and more complexity than any other foodstuff in the world.

M, I was just saying that I just don’t like champagne… I only like fizz in my beer and soda (and Sauternes). Old Krug I find worth it, and it’s hard not to appreciate Salon… but I’d much rather drink something from manfred at those prices… so I’ll get a value sparkler from Limoux if I want a sparkler since I don’t appriciate the flavor that goes with the complexity and nuance of great champs. That being said, I spent a lot of money on bubbles this year, each time I had buyers remorse… luckily the alcohol content and the girls I was drinking it with always comforted me.

Oh, also, all sherry/uberoxidative wines should be made illegal to produce, consume, buy or sell except for Rivesaltes… These opinions are allowed to be wildly irrational and right? If so can we include natural wines, the biodynamic calendar, IPOB, wine enthusiast ratings, rich being used as a descriptor in unoaked wines, alternative bottlings being compared to great producer top bottlings, limited productions being put on a pedestal, marketing a story over the quality of the juice, talking up regions whose best examples don’t make wines as good or better than the top Bdx/napa/burg/rhone producers, the to kill the CA wine industry by planting Italian grapes, every single bottle of wine ever made in Texas

Most Burgundy is just barely drinkable.

Most Burgundy is grossly overpriced.

The French are, in general, quite friendly, especially the wine people.

Cheap Old Wines will taste better eventually then Cheap Young Wines.

Price does have an effect on quality.

Travel shock is real.

Stemware matters.

Audouzing works.

There is no such thing as a 100-point New World Chardonnay.

There isn’t a bottle of wine in the world worth more than $100.

pycm is not a star of white burgundy.

Just because Riesling can be made dry, doesn’t mean it’s better. Sweetness connects the nose and palate, contributing length and congruence. For my taste, rieslings aren’t nearly as pleasing without some residual sugar.