Preferred Burgundy Glass

Tasting in Burgundy, many growers present in a cognac snifter.

Including those folx who have 500+€ wines.

Sally is a fickle beast.

Oh no, a new glass to consider.

We use the Riedel “Oregon” Pinot glass Performance series.

Glasses are all personal preference. Just like the wine that goes into the glass.

Agree. I have started using the Zalto Bordeaux as a my all purpose red wine glass lately. We have the Zalto burg glass but tend to only use it for white burg. Also recently bought the Conterno Sensory glass and really like it. Good design and feels less top heavy compared to the Zalto burg. I had the Riedel somm burg glass for years but rarely pull it. Just doesn’t feel good in the hand.

Are you daft? You can’t pour Burgundy or Brunello in a Bordeaux glass! [swoon.gif] It might cause a time paradox or reverse the planet’s magnetic field.

What were you drinking that 09 selosse out of??

Where can one purchase the conterno glass in the US?

Rarewineco.com has the glasses on sale for $75, but it’s prearrival with a June arrival.

Andrew, welcome to the forum first & foremost. I think this is a really good question. I have both glasses you mention here. The Ridel is so much heavier that I rarely use it. What I have found is that the Riedel glass does a better job of “hiding” flaws…but it does not always smell or taste the best from that glass. I recently switched over the the Grassl glass and I’m very happy with them. Chris (CJS Selections) was amazing to work with. It’s worth trying them out if you drink wine often and are the least bit geeky about it.

Thanks! Guilty on both points!

That’s the Zalto white wine glass. I use it for most Champagne these days. Cédric Bouchard’s wines I drink out of the Universal glass.

I know, apologies for that… But I do find it very satisfactory, and more forgiving for older wines than the Zalto Burgundy glass, if that makes sense. If it were 10-15% smaller it really would be perfect.

Interesting! For all the talk about zalto, grassl, and GGG, that’s a glass not often mentioned and it really stood out as a beautiful glass in the video. I liked the height and angles but clearly much broader than a flute. I may have to start a set at home

Well I bit on the RWC deal at $75 each.

I love the traditional tulip shape of the Sommelier but it’s just too damn huge. Same goes for the Zalto Burgundy and the new Conterno glass. I use Zalto Bordeaux but don’t like the angular shape of it. Can’t wait till the fashion pendulum swings back to round bowls.

btw, who made this rule that every trendy new wine glass has to be more expensive than the one before? I remember when people thought $15 for a Riedel stem was embarrassing and now people are paying $75 for Conterno glasses the size of a volleyball?

2 Likes

Like a few others, I’m using the Conterno Sensory glass for virtually all wines, white or red, young or old. I’m also a huge fan of the Zalto Universal, but my usage is way done. I remember tasting at Conterno with Roberto in 2018, and he served all wine tasted in both Sensory and whatever glass they had previously used (I think Zalto but don’t remember). I was a quite skeptical, but kept it to myself (we were guests after all). That night I had to admit to my mates that literally every wine tasted better from Sensory. I bought a couple of Sensory glasses once they were commercially available, and now I’m hooked. Rare Wine has a good price on them currently ($75) and donates $25 of that to various Frontline groups. Definitely check out their website if you’re looking to pick up a couple and try them.

Keith, can’t argue on pricing. But I have eight Sensory glasses at home and nest them (one right side up, next one upside down) in a four by two pattern. The stems are the perfect length to allow tight nesting, and eight really don’t take up too much space.
PS, we do like the fact that you’re a young curmudgeon.

1 Like

By the way, for the original poster - in my opinion the Zalto burgundy glass is hopeless. Not a great drinking glass, and literally an abomination to store or to use in any quantity at a dinner table.

1 Like