Price per bottle vs. Community Score QPR thoughts

Styles are tricky to nail down, especially with people unfamiliar with their palate or unable to describe their wine experience very well.

Reminds me of that thread advertising a mid 80 point wine. Everyone is like lol ??? score ??? This reinforces the idea for me that scores are for people who don’t trust their own palate and want someone else to blame or praise. Scores for me are a consideration, but are no where near the sole reason I’ll buy or recommend a wine.

It’s been rare recently to have a thread where Monsieur Gilbane takes and scores on two “slapshots”. That man has a gift for making me laugh.

1 Like

Pray for the poor, poor man.

[That he doesn’t leave behind enough clues for a Murder-1 rap after she expires…]

MVP for sure

They seemed to have a fun banter-y type relationship so I think it wasn’t too bad… or I hope so.

Wine scores, even on CT is just silly. It is such a personal thing that It makes no sense.

What type of wines does the person like. What have they tasted. What is an average wine score for that person? (For some its 80 and for others it is 90+). If you wanted any significant data on wine scores you would need 1000+ scores on a wine tasted within the same period from a very broad demographic.

The text in a tasting note can be golden though.

Agreed tasting notes are way better than summarized numerical value.

My wine scores are very helpful for me. I love CT for that.

A lot of people score subjectively, I like this and will give high marks. For scores to be truly comparable they need to be objective, this is high quality and I will give high marks. I am not convinced that many people on public forums are capable of the latter.
There is also the question of understanding the trajectory of a wine. Loads of high quality reds are “too old” to the inexperienced when they are actually closed down. This used to cause me to pull a bottle from my stock, only to effectively waste it. On the basis of that I give little credence to uncalibrated opinions, and yes, I may still really enjoy a flawed wine that meets my personal preferences and rate it highly- for me.

I love Cellartracker; but just like online restaurant reviews, many people get it wrong.

dh

Yes, many of my customers use vivino these days for their notes. It definitely helps them keep track of what they’ve drank.

I’ve had some wines that tasted like saltwater. Objectively, I have to say the wine has no faults but that specific wine was not my style of aglianico. For my personal scores I rate a bit on my preference, but when I’m assessing the wine quality for others I tryyyy to take my personal bias out as much as possible.

lol that reminds me of when I have dinner with my parents.

“Is this spicy? This feels pretty spicy”

Me: it’s just a little black pepper.

I do concur on this point. I have read absolutely horrible reviews of a wine that end with a 90-point score. I can never understand the contradiction there.

We have a friend who buys many wines from de Negoce and I have had several all of which were bad and overscored by some posters on CT. They were often flawed or showed enormous bottle to bottle variation.

1 Like

Not sure if you know the youtube channel Good Mythical Morning. They’ll do food rankings and do quickfire number ratings on like 40 items. One of the hosts has no idea how to score which is very apparent so the staff created him a CHART. If you like something it should be higher… type of thing. Randomly he’ll say oh this is pretty good and rank it 40/100 then say something is horrible and give it a 60/100. This is why he needed a scoring aid.

There are lots of tasting charts to use as standards. Don’t know why more people don’t use these.

I think people have this notion if they need an aid they’re not competent… but tasting note sheets are actually awesome. Very convenient.

I try to be objective and rate each wine based on the quality level. While I do my best to avoid it, I’m undoubtedly influenced by price, expectation and style preference.

We have a theory in our wine group that at higher price points, people tend to buy wines that they like, and they then score them high. People are not buying wines they don’t like and then scoring them poorly. Just to pick one at random, 2018 Vice Versa cabernet has 7 notes on CT with an average of 94.9, there’s one 94 and the rest are 95’s, and one taster is responsible for two 95 point scores. If you don’t like Vice Versa, you would not have made a lot of tasting notes for their wines. People that like the wine are largely responsible for the notes.