Prosciutto

i refreshed the links and tested them this time; all is good.

There are other boards?

Salt to start (no brine) then air cure, then we have been covering with a paste after about 4-6 months. Once it warms up like to have it covered by then.

We’ve been cheating a bit by having a professional do the curing for us…he has our Tamworths right now.

Thanks, Gene.

That’s more or less what I’ve done. So you outsource the whole process? Or do you do some of the aging yourselves? I know you have the cantina for it.

Rather than risk it, the butcher who we get the pig through, and breaks down the primal into manageable cuts, cures the legs for us. We’re doing wild boar prosciutto at home because the boar was shot not slaughtered/inspected.

Interesting. I don’t know of local butchers familiar with how to prep a leg for prosciutto.

For now, I’m enjoying the experiments enough to keep going at home. But I can see how some professional help would reduce the uncertainty.

By the way - the ham, wrapped in wax paper - seems to be doing just fine in the wine cellar. Now my thoughts are turning to the next pig. If we don’t take a whole one from the farmer in W VA I’ve worked with before, I may see what it would cost to get a whole Tamworth from a guy who raises them in VA and sells at the Dupont Circle Farmer’s Market.

+1…thanks for posting this info…very interesting.

Thought I’d share a couple pics of our Berkshire prosciutto.