Protecting your $$$$$ wines

I keep the wrapping until I drink it.

What’s causing the high humidity? Do you have water in a dish in the refrigerator?

You know I’m honestly not sure. It is a standard 160 bottle fridge in a built-in with what I think is appropriate ventilation particularly in the front and back. No surreptitious water dishes…

Do you have a humidity monitor? Collect some data. I never tried this method and I am not sure if it’s safe either but you can try those beads that absorbs moisture in the air.

Are you expecting wine robbers? neener

I wouldn’t be bragging about that

Not sure labels would ever degrade in my passive cellar since the humidity is low. The oldest I have drunk were ~ 30 years old with no label degradation. [cheers.gif]

This is why you wrap before they go into storage.

All of my better bottles in my passive cellar are wrapped, and it works. The stuff I don’t care about loses labels within 5 years or so, as it’s pretty damp down there. The wrapped bottles are fine.

The “craze” I was referring to for perfect labels in the US, was not folks preferring perfect labels, it was referencing the demand by Asian buyers for perfection in label conditions. Exporters I dealt with refused to buy well stored bottles because of minor imperfections rendering them unsalable to their clientele which in my mind is a bit crazy. For example, wines from a natural cellar with an earthen floor which developed dust/dirt stains, or a wrinkled label due to humidity were rejected. Would you refuse to buy a bottle in otherwise excellent condition because of a minor label flaw?
Hope that is clear now.

Just unpacked my 2016 Greer, they ship with a plastic covering over the label portion of the bottle. I take it off, but I also don’t plan on resale. Agree with those who have posted about avoiding bottles with label stains, although you still don’t know the source of the stain. I had a wine cooler where one bottle seeped and stained the ones below though it’s label was fine.

And that’s exactly why you wrap your bottles… that’s just the smart thing to do (when you’re a serious collector of fine wines with a secondary market).

To answer your question: I would buy (and bought) a bottle in excellent condition with label flaws. When I can choose between two (nearly) identical bottles (in terms of the important stuff: provenance, fill level, capsule/cork), I will always go for the one with the better label.

I transfer title to a trustee in Liechtenstein and store the wines in a bank vault in the Alps.

But is it wrapped? At least bubble wrapped?

I plastic wrap some bottles, the biggest reason is to stop bottles from sliding. If you ever use bin storage of any kind it is great to wrap some of them. Same goes with champagne and Germans. I bought some rolls that have half the carboard tube exposed for a handle, the wrap is probably 4-5inches. It also protects some old Madeira from having the vintage paint chip off from racks.