PSA -EAST COASTERS-Consider lowering temp in your wine cellars in case Irene knocks out power.

Thanks - we already had planned on that. Good luck Kim.

+1; awesome advice.

My long term wine storage was at my parent’s beach house… Slaughter Beach, DE. Might live up to its name… it’s right in the eye path, maybe 30 miles north of it. They just bought the house this year. Ouch.

I had planned on a vacation weekend there, so I happened to be there when the forecast got intense. Then came the evacuation orders. = Empty the cellar! Fortunately had almost enough shippers there from the original transport, and I drove my father’s second car home for him = room to carry it all. Seems fortuitous.

Got lucky finding a generator, too. Been trying to buy one for a LOOOOONG time (Honda or Yamaha; one of the quiet models), but was looking for a deal. Picked up a very quiet and brand new Generac ix1600 in DE (so no tax!). Looks to be a certainty that I will need it here in Baltimore. My basement will probably flood, so I’m about to go put my Vinotemp & extra freezer up on blocks.

Be safe everyone.

Hi, Don. I think you’re right. I’ve never lost power for long in my current home - although some in my town have lost it for as long as 4 days! I figure dropping the temp a few degrees might give me a little extra time - in a worst case scenario. It’s running at about 45 degrees right now. :slight_smile: I’ll just have to remember to bring the temp back up AFTER the storm passes. At present, the hurricane looks like its going to hit Nassau County pretty hard. Fortunately, I am JUST outside the evacuation zone so I can watch from the comfort of home.

I am glad to hear that you got out of NY safely & in the nick of time. :slight_smile: It would be rotten to be trapped away from home during one of these biggie storms. Unless of course you were eating Flannery beef and drinking good wine.

I just put a big pot of bolognese on the stove - I’m feeling in the mood for something comforting!

Enjoy your weekend.

Turn the house A/C down as low as possible to stave off cooking yourselves in the event you lose power. We do it for every hurricane when they come toward us in FL.

We lost power for 2 days this summer during one of the storms. I keep my home cellar at 54 degrees. The temp. only reached 58 max. good luck all.

Kim’s idea of filling the tub is a great one and one I was going to make.

Don’t forget to turn the fridges back to normal!

Beach house survived unscathed; never even lost power. Crazy! Headed back out soon to reload the cellar. Yea!

Wound up not having to use the generator which is agood thing but always helps to be prepared I should have clarified that I was talking about a portable one as having a backup one with an ats tied into your house is pretty $$.

During Gloria, we didn’t lose power until 2 days after the storm, and it was out for 1 week. I’m still keeping the cellar temp at 50, at least until tomorrow.

Stirring up false alarms, for political capital? newhere [wow.gif] neener

Tree fell around the block at 4:30 this afternoon. Looks like I’m going to be without power for a while.

The tree is huge. Took out the power lines and a car.