PSA: Rehoboth Beach, Delaware is nearly the perfect east coast beach town

So if we went for a weekend in late Sept or Oct, where should we stay? Best hotel?

I’d recommend Boardwalk Plaza Hotel. Right on the beach and you can walk to everything.

Also look at Rehoboth Hotel. A nice Italian restaurant is located there as well. Several people have stayed at Canal side Inn and liked it. RB is a very walkable community in general.

Thanks fellas!

Chesapeake & Maine oysters with DFH Sea Quench
A(Muse)

Heirloom in Lewes - Check out their yelp page, the owner skewers bad customers.

Let me add best crabcake is from Woody’s bar in Dewey Beach. That said, given its zero atmosphere and otherwise mediocre food, buy the cake uncooked and bake at home. A bargain for $17 and just lots of Maryland jumbo backfin with no filler. I’ve tried others around the area and it remains numero uno.

There is a guy who is farming oysters out of Rehoboth Bay. His boat is at Rehoboth Bay Marina (off of Collins Ave.) and he works there in the morning. (302) 226-2012 is the tele. They were supposed to be $25 for 50 oysters but there were always about 10 extras in the bag. There were a great size and nice and briney. Also found a guy catching lobster and selling them for $7.50 a pound for nice 2 lbs sized ones.
IMG_5937.jpeg
IMG_5920.jpeg

Not sure on hotels. We always get a house in North Shores area from Jack Lingo. Think you would especially like Henlopen and North Shores. Biden’s main residence is in North Shores along the Gordon Pond state park:

Might also look at airbnb and homeaway: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/6610167?location=Rehoboth%20Beach%2C%20DE&adults=2&check_in=2019-10-18&check_out=2019-10-21&source_impression_id=p3_1565983169_5bGHxo0SnPIMxhF4&s=a65DrjVN

Or just stop at Kent Narrows on your way out to the beach. We like Harris Crab House but if you go on a weekday, you can make an order and stop right next door and pick it up at United Shellfish:
http://www.unitedshellfish.com/products/

There’s a Chinese place called Confucious our friend took us to, and initially I was thinking “oh boy, bad Chinese on the beach”. Much to my surprise the owners were from Changsha, Hunan where I’d lived for a year. Flavors from the homeland baby, so good. I would go back in a heart beat.

Get the green beans…

Neal - The Bill Charlap trio is playing a there 10/18 as part of a jazz fest. I think you’d enjoy them.

Jeff/Josh sorry for the delay - I needed to ask my mother to remind me of the name. It was called the Savannah Cafe, on the road to Lewes.

The Jazz Fest is fun but we avoid the ticketed concerts as it’s generally smooth jazz-not Charlap!! It’s more fun to walk around the various restaurants/bars most of whom have live music; however this is weather dependant to really enjoy. Take a look at http://www.rehobothjazz.com/ as it gets closer to the Fest for performance schedules in the restaurants/bars. We’ll be attending as we have friends visiting.

For those with experience, if you were heading to Cape May from DC, would you take the ferry? Google maps doesn’t even suggest it as an option (95>Wilmington DE> south)

Sure but book ahead as it’s popular. On the Rocks at the Lewes terminal is a fun place to hang before the ferry. EDIT: The most direct way is 95>NJ Turnpike>Atlantic City Expressway.

Wrong on the most direct way. Take 95 to the Delaware memorial bridge and then Route 40/55/47/GSP. NJ TPK and ACE are the roundabout way going too far north with additional tolls and backups. The south bound NJ TPK at its terminus can be a backup nightmare. Locals tend use I 295 south of NJ TPK Exit 4 as a general rule.
Don’t worry it’s doubtful car gps, Waze or google maps would route you that way.
A quick search on google maps indicates the extra elapsed time via the ferry is only 10 minutes. This must be predicated on arriving just before the ferry departs. I would probably take the ferry route given 95 is often a nightmare and not very scenic.

Use three locations in your google map search. Search on Lewes as a destination and the ferry should pop up as a choice for Lewes.

n. b. I moved out of SNJ 7 years ago, so if anyone who currently travels these routes gives you advice rely on that.

Jay should have tips on getting to Lewes through Delaware since it’s just north of Rehoboth Beach.

Thanks!

I’ll defer to Tom on the route as it has been a number of years since Ive been to CM.

all very helpful. thanks guys

Another alternative, down the road a bit, is Bethany Beach. You could get an apartment at Sea Colony for whatever number of days you want.

(Wife’s family has been going to Bethany Beach for decades . . . probably a bit quieter than Rehobeth, but the beach is basically the same).