Puzzled about Rhys-Please weigh in

I’m with Mike… in fact there was a thread on this board where I debated/complained about why i had to buy Alesia before I got Rhys… Yah i know I didn’t HAVE to buy Alesia, but that’s kinda bogus in that it meant waiting a LOT longer as new wait-listers can jump me in line by buying some Alesia… Anyhow, old news now since I ended up buying a bit of Alesia which at the time (omg $30 for the 2008 Alesia Sonoma flirtysmile ) was a great deal.
At current prices, I’m back in the boat of no thanks for Alesia, still purchase some of the real Rhys though…

That said, I don’t think Rhys folks are ever condescending. They’re one of the best at customer service i’ve experienced with any winery.

Is it a lot longer though? I signed up for the list in Summer 2014. I was offered San Mateo, Family Farm and Alpine Pinot in the Fall of 2014. Granted no Chard and the allocations were just a few bottles of each, but at the time there was no wait - I essentially got the next offering after signing up.

Yah that was the old days when production was much smaller… now i don’t think it really matters…

It’s not that long that someone needs to wait until they get some amount of Rhys bottles period. It’s funny but many people who show up at the tastings and try out the Alesia say that it is underrated. I believe some people have their heads in the sand when it comes to thinking they have to have Rhys labeled wines and they only want what’s supposedly harder to get. For the price the Alesia wines are all great. I’ve brought the bottles to other friends who are not that fussy on wine and they love it. Even most people who are fussy like it. It’s also a great wine to gift. And of course it drinks well sooner and can age I believe well. I almost think the winery should never have called it another wine name and maybe people would not be coming in with a “puzzled about Rhys thread”. Try a couple bottles, give it a chance and if you don’t like it then it’s not going to make a big dent into your pocketbook. Now I’m curious where the original poster is to offer a comment after so many replies??

Guy signed up for Rhys, so he can wait for Rhys, as he likely expected to do.

Or he can buy Rhys (Alesia) for roughly half the price, and get the higher end stuff faster.

Frankly the smart play is to buy enough (Alesia) wines to enjoy while you wait for the 1st wines to be ready.

#Another1stWorldProblem

I greatly enjoyed all of the 2007 Alesia. Not second rate at all.

I found a couple bottles of the 2007 Falstaff Road on Sunday so we drank one that evening and the other tonight. Both were very enjoyable.

The 2005 Fairview Ranch Syrah tonight was very, very good.

We opened one last week. Had been worried that it would be over the hill. Very solid, although shows less character than “great” syrah. It was an excellent value, and not priced like great syrah. I wouldn’t hold much longer if you’ve got them.
Regards,
Peter

This. If I didn’t already have more wine than I know what to do with, and wanted more affordable bottles of really good wine to open on a regular basis, I’d be all over the Alesia oferring.

Jason, I love your avatar. I updated mine just for solidarity. [drinkers.gif]

It sounds like our bottles showed at least a little bit differently, as the bottle I opened last night was also surprisingly youthful in color, freshness, and tannic structure. I agree that it isn’t a “great” syrah, as it lacks the complexity that elevates the great syrahs of the Northern Rhone, but I found it to be very, very good, particularly by California standards, in large part to the black olive savoriness and concentrated but not excessively sweet fruit. I’ll have to open another soon and see if the one last night is just aging particularly slowly, but I hope it isn’t an outlier as it had ample room left for future development.

Exactly my sentiments. Fortunate to attend a double blind tasting several years ago, all the wines were Rhys and I guessed syrah or zin for most of them. Root day, too early…not for me, more for those who like them.

Found the thread, very generous of Jud to open all of these. Looks like I dug the Rhys white wines.

Mike,
I didn’t mean to damn with faint praise. Our bottle was definitely enjoyable and not on the down slope. But the tannins were in a good place, fruit was fresh but not juicy (if you know what I mean), and I didn’t perceive upside to holding. Let us know how your next bottle shows … you might convince me to hold my last bottle for a while longer. [cheers.gif]
Regards,
Peter

All I know is I have two cases of Alesia sitting in front of me, and I am a happy boy.

I had a 2011 Alesia Alder Springs Chardonnay last night, which was very good. Pour it into a Rhys bottle and I don’t think you would be disappointed at all. Excellent QPR for I think high $30s or so.

Having said that, I had mixed results with Alesia, mostly in the 04-06 vintages. Some flawed bottles, some bretty bottles, some that just weren’t that good, mixed in with the good ones. I sense that the quality improved in 2007+, but by then, I was mostly just buying Rhys, so I have less experience with the later vintages.

I’ve had good success with the appellation Rhys labels, though. I think they’ve done a few scattered vintages of SCM pinot, San Mateo County pinot and SCM chardonnay. In fact, I had an 09 Rhys SCM chardonnay a week ago and it was great.

I can’t remember what the plan is going forward for Alesia and for the appellation Rhys, I know it’s changed a few times. Kevin or Jeff?

See post#37.

Teasing, just always wanted to say that for some reason…cheers!

Thanks, Bob. I still wonder about the Rhys appellation wines – anyone know about those, or can you tell me a post # where I can find out?

Nope, just happened to be reading this thread and I’ve had shit like that pulled on me before. Seriously was just in fun.

#37 talks about the Alesia… what was the question on the appellation to be specific? i’m guessing the plans going forward is to keep making them? :wink: