Question about racking wine

I think that maybe Marcus’ second point was lost a bit: there can also be material differences between the wines going into each of the individual barrels. When you use one and a half ton fermentors the free run will fill roughly two barriques, or one puncheon. Fermentation dynamics, stem content, even whether there is variability between one side of the block or the other. We routinely have 2-4 fermentors from individual blocks; they will have traits in common, but they are never exactly the same.

2 Likes

Megan,

Great point - and of course that’s assuming that you separate the free run from the press fractions. I tend to keep everything together rather than separate - the press I use is pretty darned gentle and I feel that the material differences between the lots is not great enough to warrant those separations, but I understand why others are able to or choose to do so.

At a large winery that I used to work at, they would really only separate out the hard press - they would make the call that after a certain number of ‘bars of pressure’ on the press, they would clean out the holding pan and then switch to another tank.

Cheers.

One of the striking things on press days is that every fermentor is different even when they are nominally the same by all the known variables. As you say, they generally aren’t dramattically different but also not subtly different, either. It’s also interesting that there can be common vintage characteristics even between lots that are not nominally the same. There are lots of hidden variables in fermentation of small lots.

-Al

People have mentioned racking “barrel to barrel”, which was the traditional way of doing things, and it might be worth explaining what that means: all you need is one empty barrel to start with, into which you rack a full barrel; the barrel you empty in the process is then refilled by racking another barrel into it, and so on. If you are in a cramped underground cellar, without powerful pumps or a large racking tank, this is also the most low-tech way of doing things. Note that with this sort of racking, wines change barrels, so no wine remains in its original barrel.

That makes a lot of sense Larry, and I know Jim Anderson and Patty Green used to keep press and free run together as well.

Our press is also quite gentle, but we rack all of the free run directly to barrel. Press wine is usually settled for a day or two.