Ray Tuppatsch- RIP

Rip, one of the most knowledgeable people re: aged champagne

RIP Ray. Wishing all his family and friends peace. He was way too young.

I couldn’t believe it when I heard it. Honestly, I didn’t want to believe it.

Ray was amazing. I had the very good fortune of meeting him 15 years ago, and regularly having dinner with him. To say he was generous is like saying Mike Trout is a good baseball player. There was no one else like him. A collector of the highest order that wasn’t a snob, such an incredible combo.

To see him pass at 57 is surreal. Rough weekend ahead that needs to be filled with Champagne.

1 Like

Very sad news :disappointed:. What was the cause of death? So very young

Terrible. Ray was a friend and a great guy. He loved to sit at the bar at Marea. He had his own glass with RT etched on it that they kept for him.

1 Like

Very sad news. He was very generous with his wine. Gone way too soon. RIP.

Only 57. I haven’t heard any details other than he was found in his apartment.

He was a fun guy to be around. I have so many fond recollections of dinners and crazy golf in his backyard. And super generous. I think his tipping at restaurants usually started at around 40% and was usually more. We would test each other on blind bottles. Depending on who did well the other would have to donate money to the winner’s favorite charity. Ray’s pick was usually a charity for animals.

He was also the most honest “golfer” I’ve ever played with. I remember teeing off on one hole and Ray had put like six or seven balls in the woods and he would be on the tee yelling “hitting 13”, “now hitting 15”. I think he would have enjoyed the game more if he wasn’t such a stickler for the rules but that was Ray.

RIP and very sincere condolences to his daughters who I know he loved very much.

4 Likes

Omg, I’m so sorry to hear this. I only met him a few times but he was one of the good ones. RIP

I think we were there together.
Ray was one of the most genuine people I have ever met. Humble but no pushover. Class and grace. My sincerest condolences. May his memory be a blessing.

Incredibly sad news. I met him a few times and admired his knowledge and generosity.

Sad news indeed. Only met him once briefly while he was generously sharing a Mag of vintage Champagne…true to form. RIP.

RT

RIP. I never met him, but really enjoyed his posts on the Board. He had a broad knowledge of wine, especially champagne, and baseball, and was very willing to share them on the board. He made a lot of champagne tasting note contributions here for the Charitable Causes during the holidays. 57 is far to young. Condolences to his family and friends.

Ed

This is devastating news. What a bright and generous light has gone out. He had two daughters, I believe, and many, many friends who will miss him terribly. We had always intended to make a trip to Japan together. I wish we’d made that happen.

We never met but from the boards I felt I knew him. What a kind and generous soul, and what a loss for us all. RIP

I’m saddened to read this. I admired his knowledge of Champagne, particularly older wines. May his memory be a blessing to his family and friends.

ha! yes we used ray’s driver.

I only met him a few times but he seemed like a very good guy. I loved his posts and then Leo introduced us. He definitely didn’t mind that they were pouring free Dom Perignon before the Heritage blind tasting competition. We are going out to dinner tonight with family for the first time in over a year. I will bring a bottle of bubbly to drink in his honor.

Staggeringly sad news. We often planned in emails to get together and never did. Life is too short. We have lost a great guy.

1 Like

RIP, Ray. Only met once or twice but he acted like he had known you for years. Genuine and truly warm.

1 Like

Was fortunate to meet Ray once. Had a short but memorable and enjoyable chat. He was very generous with his wines that night, which sounds like the norm. RIP.