Re-entering US from abroad

Ask for a re test. There is a false positive rate.
I tested positive 10 mos ago at Lyon airport (free in France) I told the agent that this is extremely unlikely in my case.Fortunately I speak French and was able to impress him by being a medical school professor. He reluctantly re tested me and was negative.
BTW on our last 2 returns to USA (in the last 3 months), we were never asked to show our Covid results. Sounds like it may have evolved into the 65 mph speed requirement

1 Like

Possibly airline dependent … In the past 2 months UA was checking COVID tests out of both FRA and CDG returning to the US if the passenger hadn’t uploaded the results via their app before the flight.

out of curiosity, what airline(s) was that?

I have a colleague that just tested positive in Spain. She is now stuck there for an additional 10 days!

Following as, at this point, will need a test returning from Athens early July.

Same here. Returning from Germany in mid-September.

Same, but late September from Germany. I’m sure that by then, rules will change.

That’s my hope as well. I’m hoping by then proof of vaccination will be enough.

Very hard to believe it to be airline-dependent, given the impact and extent of Covid19 in the last 2+ years. I am under the impression that they (airlines) face HUGE regulatory and reputation backlash should they go against the CDC requirement and allow those without checking proof of Covid19 negative test results.

The passenger has to electronically transmit the documentation to the airline and the airline transmits it to the government in the flight manifest. The passenger doesn’t see this.

Damn
the professional traveler made me look bad. Even worse while you are in first class sipping Krug, we are in coach for 11 hours with our kneecaps pushed into our chins and drinking white wine with bubbles in it out of a plastic cup.
We saw Francois in Bordeaux last week. He is doing well but unfortunately there will be no more WWS’s at Villa D’Este.
As soon as the crime goes down will come to New York and see you.

Phil and Angela

1 Like

We’ve been to Europe 3 times in the past year and used the Binax Emed tests.

1 Like

NY Times addressed this topic today. Doesn’t sound like it’s about to stop.

Following, as I’m in Italy at the moment.

We’ll most likely attempt to hit a farmacia in Milan the day before. I did see a testing station at the airport in Rome (just outside the terminal, on the way to the train), so I assume most places will have a ridiculously inconvenient solution if you are unable to find one. Data point - there were ~20 people in line at 08:00 AM.

Flew back from Mexico City in March and Liberia, Costa Rica 2 weeks ago. In both cases, it was easy to get testing at our hotel the day before travel. $60 - $80 per test. There is also testing at the Mexico City airport and across the street from the Liberia airport that would have been cheaper if schedules allowed.

For flying American from Athens, it appears using the verifly app is the easiest way to upload info to the airline. Still working on getting tested, our hotel wasn’t very helpful.

$20 per test in a random local pharmacy in Paris. Painless process

Sounds perfect. We will be in Nice next week.
Did you have to upload it to the airline in advance or just show up with it at the airport when you flew?

I’ve got a trip to Spain end of June. Our last night will be in the middle of nowhere with uncertain hopes of finding an open pharmacy, so rather than chance lines at the airport testing centers in the morning, I just bought the proctored tests from eMed. They are $25 a test when you buy 6, and you can do them and get your results certified very quickly anywhere with a WiFi connection.

I mostly fly American so I upload everything to Verifly, which is super easy and makes all the agents at the airport happy.

We uploaded in advance It took the airline 3 minutes to approve (for my son) and 30 minutes for my wife and I. Keep the paper certificate - they’ll ask at the airport as well