Real Champagne For $20?

Just went to a Trader Joe’s today and was surprised at how many private label sparkling wines they had. It’s been a number of years since I’ve had their blanc de blanc and I remember it being okay. The price of some of these are sub $10. Anyone have any recent experience with TJs sparkling wine?

Thanks for the many recommendations. It’s definitely going to be a sparkling Xmassukah this year at my family’s!

You know, we Canadian board members are often numb to it because we’re so used to it, but threads like this really make me jealous of the wine prices you Americans get to pay as I realize just how badly our provincial liquor monopolies rip us off.

We had the TJ Rose last week at our Friday sideyard happy hour. The neighbor also picked up the “Platinum Brut” which will show up this week. The rose was widely enjoyed, especially at the $8 price point. I found it a bit pezzy but drank a small glass before moving back to my 2009 Drouhin Santennay (which was the best and last bottle of my stash of that). I confess to having a negative bias to TJ wine due to the Charles Shaw legacy. Most of what I’ve sampled courtesy of the neighbor has been fine enough, so I guess you need to move one shelf up at TJs and you’ll have better results.

Cheers,
fred

Yeah 2-3 buck chuck is quite bad… I feel like I can say this because I worked at TJs for around 4 1/2 years ending up in the beer/wine ordering side. The wine that got me to change my mind was actually the one CdP Tj’s carried and I was like WOWWW this is good.

My house champagne is Philippe Prie, which I get for $25 from Wines Till Sold Out. That price includes shipping if buying four or more. Excellent quality stuff and a great price.

Some old school labels go on sale around here occasionally in the upper-$20 range. This includes Cordon Rouge and Blue Top.

As I have stated in numerous posts while not Champagne the newer NV Vintage of Roederer Anderson is excellent. Just got an email locally for $16.99 a bottle. Case or two coming.

1 Like

We buy/drink this a few times a year and it’s a reliable example of the NV AOC. California sparkling is only a couple bucks less nowadays. Bottie shape is most vexing aspect…

A couple nice glasses yest for Valentine’s…