Recommend some widely available Right Bank Bordeaux’s

A right banker I’m planning to try soon is Joanin Becot, from Castillon Cotes de Bordeaux.
Priced between $20-30 and well regarded on Cellartracker.

I wholeheartedly agree with the above Les Cruzelles recommendation as I too buy and drink this as well as some of the other Durantou value priced offerings, but as for St Emilion options; on the modern leaning side you could very well do Barde Haut as Arv mentioned above as well as Fleur Cardinale, Laforge, Monbousquet, Tour Saint Christophe or Quinault L’Enclos or if you wanted something more traditional maybe La Dominique or Fonplegade. All of these can be had for around $50 or less on release.

The 2011 showed up at a local store on discount, and after trying a couple, I’ve gone back for several more over time. Despite the inauspicious vintage, I like it (it’s a bit on the lean side), and I think it has a few years left in it. I’m curious to know how it shows in a stronger vintage…please do share, should you grab some. [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Agree with the Mathilde suggestion. For a similar blend with a twist, try '15 Orma.

If one wants to try a bigger framed, higher tannin and abv (15%) example of a merlot / cabernet franc blend, the 2012 La Dauphine [Fronsac] is a good example of the modern style. Even the bottle is more substantial than traditional ones, although at first glance, it’s not instantly obvious. It’s still dark, and structured, even with 24 hours of air, so it seems to have plenty of life ahead of it. Most would not cellar these satellite AOC, but another Fronsac - Fontentil - has done well in better years like 1990 or 1998. And in its own, less heralded way, 2012 is/was good for the Libournaise too. Cocoa and pipe smoke on the nose, black fruits on the palate, and a firm grip in the texture. Held from release, was $20 or so. Good value objectively, although I have a lot of this category, and don’t need more. In a panel tasting the density would show well and I enjoyed the bottle over a couple of days, but would slot it down into the B+ zone. Conventional cork, not much sediment.

Chateau Laroque ‘19 is excellent and can age, but also drinks pretty well young. I found one for $33 and have seen them as low as $27 in the Costco forum. Very well made wine for the money.

1 Like

Have tried a few times and can agree. Great value.

Chateau Jean Faure has always been a favorite of mine. A neighbor property of Cheval Blanc, it checks the major right bank boxes for me, including Cab Franc. Can generally be had for under $50

1 Like

The 2019 is fun.

Clos du Clocher

Jean Faure

Poesia

Repeating a bit but all great stuff.