Recommendation for Greatness

Well, I’m not a Brdx guy and haven’t purchased any since 2005 & I never buy top-end Vega (just a few Alion), however if I wanted as close to a “lock” of now purchasing and drinking 1 great bottle which is also in the right drinking window (which to me eliminates almost all old-world under 20-25 years), my choices would be Unico (if $ possible), their Reserva Especial or an older Brdx (Angelus?).

I wouldn’t risk red burg, unless you can buy from an one owner cool cellar.
Older Barolo is possible, but imagine those of suitable ‘greatness’ age would be hard to find at $500.
You could find older 80’s Hermitage for that price, but like burgundy will be less consistent bottle to bottle so a risk when looking at 1 lone bottle to open.
The d’Yquem suggestion was good as would be almost any top level Sauternes, but drinking a bottle of even great older Sauternes could be tiring for just 2 of you and if drinking with food, requires more thought.

Make sure you get something from a category that has impressed you in the past, or at least one that you generally like a lot. Like a lot of people, I’ve been totally underwhelmed by some very expensive wines that people on this board speak very highly of.

This is really good point, and one that makes me lean towards the Haut Brion suggestion since I am a big Bordeaux fan. While some of the other suggestions seem great, I wonder if I would have enough drinking experience within a category to truly appreciate the bottles greatness (I’m thinking of the Spanish suggestions).

I think that’s an excellent way to approach this. You need context to understand greatness.

Lots of good suggestions here. Here are some others below that are a little different if you can find them. (I’ll steer clear of Rioja but for that money you could buy a great, great old Rioja GR from Lopez de Heredia, Cune, or Monte Real. I also looked on Wine Searcher for Cheval Blanc, the first thing that came to my mind, but prices really have skyrocketed the last few years and you can probably get a better Haut Brion vintage, per the suggestions above.)

1959 Magdelaine (all about provenance though). I can’t overstate how good this is. 1970 is also just fabulous.

1983 La Miss will be real bang for your buck. You could get 2 of them and it’s such a great wine.

1998 Verset Cornas - this wine is insanely good. It’s close to the $500 range now. Maybe it’s more. The 1995 and 1999 are also fabulous.

But if you’ve never had a great Chave and can find a good price: 1991 > 1995 > 1998. Skip anything younger. They are not as good. [stirthepothal.gif]

Good luck!

1999 is another potential candidate.

I did the same thing. Surprised / disappointed to see how expensive it is now — I wonder if my lone remaining bottle (a 1986) will be my last.

Old Madeira. Classic wine. Not many people know much about it. Perhaps the most complex wine on earth.

And with Madeira provenance is a nonissue. Plus, you don’t have to finish it in one night.

I´m not from the US, so I don´t know - but I can get Rayas in Europe now and then between 400 and 500 €(from sources not listed on winesearcher) … not all sellers are on WS, fortunately, otherwise they would be more expensive.

2000 L’Eglise Clinet. Recent positive 97 notes from Neal Martin and Jane Anson. Denis Durantou was a great artisanal winemaker and recently passed. Just starting to enter its window 2020-2050. Two NY state sellers on WS with offers so safe ground shipping. If you like the style, the more recent, good not great year, L’EC vintages are within your regular budget.

-1. Storage, perhaps. But knowing the history of each bottling can be critically important.

+1

I would find a wine on Cellar tracker that has a reputation of consistently drinking very well.

1 Like

85 Cheval Blanc is (and has been for a while) drinking very very well and should fit your budget.