Recommendations for Munich?

When worlds collide at the markt!
D4289D88-CAA7-46B4-B0D9-E404D0BCEC16.jpeg

Any updates to Munich eats and drinks. Not a lot of Munich action from searches. Will be there in May to drop my son off for a summer internship. In and out of Stuttgart- so any Stuttgart recommendations as well. And a side trip to Vienna. So hit me up. Thanks.

Sorry, Dennis,
I’ve not been back since I started this thread, so i’ve got nothing new. The two places i mentioned above, Halali and Restaurant Broeding were both very fine and very different. I’d be surprised if at least the former was not still serving.

1 Like

Both Halali and Broeding are still going strong.
Dennis, what kind of restaurants are you looking for in Munich and Vienna?

Following…will be there in September.

hmm…that’s a Good question…not sure how to answer. Not looking for michelin-star tasting menus, but a good a sense of local scene. I also don’t necessarily want super-traditional if there is interesting stuff going on. I like beer, I’ve seen Augustinekeller and Hofbrauhuas mentioned in other threads. A good wine list would be great, but not essential. Thanks.

My default recommendation for visitors to Munich is Spatenhaus an der Oper. Traditional Bavarian food, but cooked very well and in a more upscale environment than either Augustinerkeller or Hofbräuhaus. And it is a restaurant, not a beer hall. (Munich natives will tell you the best beer is Augustiner, but Spaten is fine and you can also grab an Augustiner Helles later). Unfortunately, not a special wine list.

Run by the same group and also good is Mangostin. This is outside the city center, but easily accessible with public transport. It is pan-Asian (their own description is “Thailand meets Japan meets Munich”) and a nice place to go when you want noodles or are sick of all the Bavarian food. More or less the same nothing special wine list.

Another place I like for a modern take on German food is Pfistermßhle which is a block or so away from the Hofbräuhaus. Ok wine list, again nothing special.

In my opinion, the best option for the combination of very good food plus very good list at the sub-Michelin star level was mentioned by @Joshua_Kates : Broeding, though as he notes the wine list is all Austrian, plus a few Champagnes.

A good list can also be found at GRAPES, which is a wine bar with a limited menu.

Finally, if you are there in good weather, you will have a much better time sitting in a beer garden outside under chestnut trees than in the basement of the Hofbräuhaus. I realize the HB is a must-do for some people, but for Bavarian dolce vita (the Bavarians are huge Italophiles) you need to sit outside drinking beer.

I also know you said you didn’t want Michelin-starred tasting menus, but I will mention this for those people following the thread who might. There may be some debate as to which restaurant has the best wine list in Munich, but I don’t think any restaurant in town other than Tantris and its twin Tantris DNA (2 and 1 star, respectively) have G-Max on Coravin.

1 Like

Kamaal- This is great. Thanks so much. Tantris keeps coming up in all my searches, so we may have just have to check it out. Did not know there is two, so we’ll see. Thanks again- helpful!

Agree with this. Got an Arnoux Lachaux pinot fin off the list for 100 euros this past september

1 Like

Tantris and Tantris DNA are both in the same building, as is Bar Tantris. Tantris was the most celebrated restaurant in Munich in the 1970s and 1980s and has been opening for 50 years now, so they do have a fabulous cellar.

1 Like

Spent the last few days in Munich for work:

First night was a work event at Paulaner am Nockherberg. We were upstairs from the main floor, private space. Beer was fantastic, hard to gauge the food as it was small passed plates. Main floor of the restaurant felt modern and pretty cool, menu looked good too.

Second night I had dinner at Vinothek by Geisel, in the excelsior hotel. More of a casual vibe, solid menu with a pretty good list. Had a bottle of 2000 Cantenac Brown off the list, very good.

Third day, had lunch at Augustiner Braustuben, was a nice day in Munich with tons of sunshine, was hoping to sit on the terrace which was unfortunately closed. Sat in the main hall, had a half liter of the helles and weissbier, along with the sausage plate, excellent.

Later that day for dinner, made the trek out to Johannas. Was solo so had a half bottle of 05 Prum WS spat and a half bottle of 2015 jadot boucherottes, both reasonably priced; deep list, I could see myself doing some damage here.

Looking forward to coming back and trying some of the more high end Michelin spots.

2 Likes

https://schreiberei-muc.de/en/tohru