Recommended Wine Books

Great read and beautiful book. Highly recommend!

1 Like

Highly recommend subscribing to the quarterly periodical as well, always a fun read (can sign up for US delivery on the website)

1 Like

“The Winemaker” by Richard Peterson

There’s a thread on this topic in Wine 101. Started in 2017 but plenty of recent additions.

Another vote here for “Inside Bordeaux” by Jane Anson. I have really enjoyed reading it.

Ed

It may be hard to find and has narrow subject matter, but Neal Martin’s Pomerol is outstanding.

I 110% agree with the recommendations of Jamie Goode’s books. They dive deep enough into topics where I always learn something, but he writes in a way that makes complex and technical topics easy to understand.

The Noble Rot book is available in the US thru the Apple Store, albeit only digital iBook format. I enjoyed it.

Sommelier Atlas of Taste is amazing

I want to read Barolo and Barbaresco.

I’m assuming you have Robinson/Johnson’s Wine Atlas, but if not, that’s a reference book for the home library. I just picked up another one on Amazon (7th Edition) for $12 to my door.

Barolo and Barbaresco is a good book. Goes into a lot of the history of the area and grape. Eventually sections read like a who’s who of producers, but the actual meat of it is still pretty interesting.

‘Wines of The Rhone’ by Matt Walls has just been published and is worth reading.

Richard Mayson’s ‘The Wines of Portugal’ is worth grabbing, both as a comprehensive guide to each of the country’s regions and as a summary of the huge viticultural/winemaking revolution which has been going in the last 20 years.

There’s a nice freebie/teaser from the latest issue of Noble Rot magazine here:
https://noblerot.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/NR25_wine-cellar.pdf

the article is “how to build a cellar for less than 500 pounds”. To clarify, that’s choosing bottles (not building space) and a limit on spending (not the weight of building materials).
Fun stuff. Mag is highly recommended.

1 Like

“The Noble Rot Book: Wine from Another Galaxy” book can be found in the online store free world wide shipping- Bookdepository.com

If Portugal interests you, I am writing a new book about Portuguese wine (together with Ryan Opaz) - a bit different to Richard Mayson’s book, more narrative and more focus on upcoming producers.
We are crowdfunding it as of right now, on Kickstarter - campaign closes today at 21:59 GMT / 17:59 EDT so still time to get your name in the book and get that early access copy ordered!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/simonjwoolf/foot-trodden-portugal-and-the-wines-that-time-forgot/

In the loosest possible way it is a follow up to my first book Amber Revolution , about the history behind the orange wine revival.

(with apologies for blowing my own trumpet here. Many other great recommendations in the thread!)