"Reductive" (non oxidative) Champagne

Never been a fan of rosé of any sort. Sometimes I have some and think it isn’t so bad and I’m too tough on it, but I still never have an urge to drink it.

Guillermo, Have you ever had the Vilmart vintage Rose with a little age on it? That and a bottle of the Taittinger Comtes Rosé were the two bottles that really changed my mind on Rose Champagnes.

1 Like

I have not. Thanks for the tip.

Taittinger very nice just the pricing is a bit high. I rather get the sparkling wine they make from California. It’s not much cheaper but enough to make it way easier to add to the cart for the quality. (Specifically Taittinger CA sparkling not CA sparkling in general)

“A beautiful 2006 that is still fresh on the palate but showing some lovely tertiary notes on the nose. I’ve heard that some '06s are starting to show signs of decline, but not this one. Marzipan, honey, buttered toasted brioche fill the nose while the palate is overwhelmed with still fresh citrus and apples and refreshing acidity. Long pleasing finish of fruit and brioche. Still life left in this 2006 Champagne1” - CT user

Oh no… I saw “marzipan” and was like I need to make sure Guillermo stays away from Billecart at least the 2006 vintage.

1 Like

Lopa just sent out an offer for NV Nathalie Falmet Brut (base 2015). Anyone familiar with where they fall on the spectrum? We tend to shy away from Aube producers as the acid is sometimes lacking.

This is a strong value Champagne. For $30 its hard to beat. I wouldn’t put it next to anything that impresses but it gives you a real Champagne experience on the cheaper side. I haven’t had this disgorgement though.

1 Like

Troy, what wines/producers are you finding low in acid from the Aube? This has not been my experience.

Forgettable ones (i.e. I don’t remember)!

Troy, a few to think about where acidity is certainly getting it on…Marie Courtin, Remi Leroy. These two come to mind very quickly.

1 Like

Crushed it!

I’m feeling like an outlier. I’m a fan of aged Champagne. I don’t think of oxidized as a flaw unless it’s dominated by apple cider flavors and aromas. I love the complexity of smells, tastes, and textures that develop with age, including cacao and coffee, hazelnut and almond, toasted sweet or spice bread, honey and mushroom, as long as they’re accompanied by some freshness and crispness. I also like bracing young Champagnes (hey, I guess I’m easy), but on the whole, I’d rather wait years from release to open most of my vintage and NV Champagne.

Cheers,
Warren

3 Likes

I’m with you Warren. I dislike oxidative and oxidated champagne (and sadly too much older champagne falls into the latter category), but I’ve found some of the best champagnes I’ve had are older. I also think there’s quite a bit of interplay these days between what people view as “oxidative” champagne and the judicious use of good oak by growers. I just had a recent release Collin Maillons blind and called it Krug (and wasn’t too bothered by the bad miss); I think the extended aging on the lees really tells there. And it’s not oxidative (despite the “Selosse acolyte” some of the Collin importer marketing materials).
To come back to your point more directly, I also think some of the big house champagnes especially are meant to be aged (especially with the higher dosage), so while the 08 Comtes is good now, it won’t hit its peak for some time. I’ve not had the 95 Comtes next to the 2008, but the 95 was the best champagne this year at a dinner with a bunch of 90s Salon - it’s a brilliant wine; but it took age to get there.
I should add, I have no problems drinking some champagne young either (especially grower champagne that I think is meant to be drunk younger); I love acid. Not all wine is meant to or needs to be aged. But I think some champagne does. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The Maillard reactions that help give aging Champagne its characteristics and “patina” are complicated but fit into a class of oxidation-reduction reactions in which oxygen (per se) can but need not play a role. It requires sugars (partly dosage normally) and amino acids that result from wine making, largely lees aging.

AFAIK, some Champagnes seen as reductive allow the reactions to take place slowly, or only after a threshold of degradation of sulfur-based shielding molecules react over time, but it’s pretty complex chemically.

It’s not clear to me whether true non-dosage Champagnes (including some we think of as oxidative) have the potential because although many of them undergo less aging, allowing for a sense of richness or weight, they don’t seem to have the sugar necessary to proceed to a Maillard process. Or at least I don’t understand how they would.

3 Likes

I just tried the Castell d’Age Anne Marie Brut Nature Reserva was VERY high acid. if you like dry wines from the Alsace this might be the sparkling wine for you although it’s a Cava and not a Champagne. Pretty cheap bubbly, woman owned, biodynamic farming… very clean tasting made with the traditional method. No oxidation at all.

I also like aged Champagne but there is a point where oxidative goes too far. An example would be Jacques Selosse Substance. Solera method, lot of older vintages, but too much for my palate. Selosses Initial is great, but my experiences with Substance from years ago were disappointing

I don’t mind oxidation on wines that have significant age. I’ve had some current released champagnes that tasted like a handful of mixed nuts. Too me that was overly oxidized. I think when it adds depth and a little umami but still has good fruit I’m okay with that.

Rich, good question. What you are describing about Krug splits us. I love it, LOVE it, and understand it as Brad explains. Julie just turned up her nose at a 6 pack I brought in the door on Christmas eve! She does not love it, I cannot sneak a glass to her.

Saw some prices at iDealwine Auctions for this…crazy!!! And it hasn’t even hammered yet!

Those prices are crazy - more than 10x domaine pricing. I’ve never seen the current millesime release be that hard to find for 3-4x in the past. Selosse has raised the domaine pricing on this quite a bit (percentage-wise) over the last decade, but it is still reasonable. I guess it is just going to keep going higher.