Restaurant regulations you'd like to see

• Timing is everything. If I quit with my girlfriend two times before the arrival of something substantial to eat because of a lack of sugar I have no use for the best chef who thinks “that a real connisseur knows that everything in a good kitchen has to be prepared fresh”…
    That may be true, but the best chefs know that people are coming because they are good and have therefore something to eat in time before the collapsing of the customer.

• The same applies, of course, for business lunches.

• I have nothing against kids. Though, there is a very great allergy against useless parents on my part. If the patrons are not able to teach the children how to behave in public places they should neither be heard or be seen in a restaurant.
    I know that the feelings of some people might be hurt about it but I can live with that. Better than my feelings are hurt by some selfish unsensible person who has the feeling that I go out to be terrorised by their uncorregable offspring.
    Except if they want me to participate in their upbringing - if they are at my table they get to try Espresso and if I find a puppy I give it as a present. Sharing is caring.

\

• Well prepared and

• Honest and

• Hot food on a

• Hot plate.

• If lucky, some intelligent and sublime creation.

• Serious portions (sensible?) One course portions should look different than ones for a six cours dinner.

• Some space, time and a place where the toilet is far enough away not to bother me and close enough to make it in time.
    -On a reverse thought I do not want to bother other guests on the way to the loo also. The war is over.

• Good, clean glasses. (Riedl, Zalto, Gabriel, Marienglas o.e…)

• If I want to get acquainted with the service staff, I make the move, not reverse. I treat everyone with respect, I like it when a party takes off, when the fun starts. I am here to party with my friends not to find new ones. I am not Diogenes.
    I am still on a Mr. base with the father of one of my closest friends because I like it so. I have a reason and it is my reason. I see no need to buddy up with some acquaintances even more so, strangers.

• No red wine over 16°C, no white over 8°C, no Champagne over 4°C.
    It warms to our preferred temperature in no time, but it will never get fresh(cool) again.

• Service charges should be included at all times. In my lifetime there has never been discussion about price on my part. But I am not the sub entrepreneur of some restaurant owner who thinks he might be one.

• Decent service and:

• I want to have the wine I ordered after presentation within my reach at all times.

• No decanting, in between storing or else, in the kitchen or what ever places there are.

• No sidetables where I can not get to the wine or water or whatever I choose to order which requires refill, as I am not bodily handicapped. And if shall I be(life can play some tricks to one), I will let it be known.

There is no need for regulations, but a place that meets some, most or all of the above mentioned standards has better chances for me spending money there on a regular basis.

As parents of a young child, we treated eating out as a bit of a gamble. If Dario was acting out, one of us left for some outside time where he could blow off steam. If it happened a second time, we took the dinner to go or paid without eating. Our bottom line was that we were not gonna let our family behavior spoil somebody else’s night out. That said, Dario grew up learning how to behave at the dinner table. It was an expectation and he adapted very quickly.

Did the exact same thing with my two daughters and they know exactly how to behave in a restaurant. Some times my wife or I have finished our meals alone with the other kid while the other parent to the offending child home. NO big deal, but lots of parents are absolutely offended if THEY are inconvenienced in any way.

LAW: NO “it’ll come out whenever the chef decides it’s ready and in any random order or grouping. Because, well, the food and the chef are of course more important than you.”

Joe’s in Wailea, which unfortunately closed for good in August, had the following printed on its menu:

Unruly children will be given an espresso and a free mongoose.

There are restaurants that cater to families with small children. As the father of two, I am of the opinion that people who can afford to dine at a fine restaurant can also afford a babysitter.

If it falls on the floor, it can’t still be served

I guess you can’t really regulate it, but I wish restaurants were less noisy. Whatever happened to a quiet dining experience? Too often my wife and I practically have to shout across the table to be heard.

So I assume u support complete gun ban… Complete religion ban. And complete ban on basically anything that a few idiots can take and hurt others??

Ban all kids? For- all restaurants???
From super fancy and formal all the way to McD for a happy meal? If not, where is that line drawn?

Sorry but stating absolutes is comical to me! :slight_smile:

Give me a whiny kid over a whiny adult any day.

Where do u find a babysitter while traveling? I mean I know some people fly in a nanny while traveling but that’s not quite the same affluence level as “dining at a nice place”…?

And while a whiny kid is annoying. I find them to not be the norm. Most parents, especially At fine dining places, do a good job of controlling the kids and the situation.

I’ve seen wayyyy more obnoxious a$$hole adults then I have bad kids in fine dining restaurants. In chucky cheese- sure. It’s bad. But u go knowing what to expect.

Mark, im only talking about nice restaurants. You can have all the mcds you want. But when i spend $50 or over on a meal not including any drinks or wine then my regulation is no kids under 6 and After 6pm no kids ages 6-12

This is an opinion so no need to get overly worked up. I have no real control over it. Wish i did though.

Every half way decent hotel in the world will arrange one. Concierge services in major cities will arrange one. Hardly the same as flying in a nanny.

Sure you can . . . if you can regulate when waiters take the plates away, or when they stop describing the specials, or the precise temperature at which wine is served, noise is a piece of cake.

95% of the time we didn’t take the kids, but plenty of times we wanted to enjoy a nice restaurant dinner as a family. More than once my daughters were sitting there politely while we listened to the bourbon laden boys’ table next door tell loud stories about what a fine @ss their secretary has and how they would like to…well, you know.

There is no age limit on bad behavior, nor is there anyway to “vet” it.

The internet makes it very easy, esp for domestic travel…quick post on facebook “Hey I’m travelling to such and such city, anyone with friends or friends of friends there who can reccommend a sitter.” As someone who has not done an amazing job teaching his toddler to sit in a restaurant, this has proven very useful. Also, when on vacation I don’t really want to go out to eat at 6pm!

Most higher end hotels can help arrange a babysitter, no problem.

We had a great one a while back. The waiter found out that one of the people in our party was having a birthday. At the end of the meal, he brought a nice dessert with a candle and a “happy birthday” chocolate thing on it. No discussion of this had happened prior. When we got the check, we were not only charged for the dessert, but there was an upcharge for the “happy birthday” chocolate!

Good point guys. You are right. I remember even arranging one.
My wife strictly does not trust them Hahahah ah brings back memories of France. But yah, she doesn’t trust the nanny won’t kidnap the kid :frowning: lol

But yah. I guess it is what it is. Just saying it’s stupid to think the kids is the issue. The parents are. And drunk idiots are far worse. :slight_smile:

Back on topic - get rid of tipping. Please!!

And over salting is prevalent in some places. Dear god.

I didn’t/wouldn’t ever leave my kid in a hotel with a total stranger whether s/he came recommended by the hotel or not. She’s 12 now and I still wouldn’t do it.

We were lucky in that she was always well behaved so went to pretty nice restauraunts with her. When she got bored, she broke out her Kindle once she got to reading age. I think we were too successful because now she reads her Kindle even at home dinners when I wish she’d just talk to us :frowning:

Back on topic, and it’s already been mentioned above but the one thing I can’t stand is when I’m not “allowed” to pour my own wine. I won’t go back to a restaurant that doesn’t honor my request on this (and there have been a couple).