Restaurants in St Paul or Minneapolis

You have to love how nice and helpful us Minnesotans are to anyone that would want to come and visit us.

I’ll second Alma and Café Maude. I live a couple blocks from Maude its usually a solid choice. Alma… is an experience. It’s amazing and has always produced memorable nights.

Currently Tosca has a pretty tasty menu. Corkage is $15.

The scallop bruschetta and stozzapretii were outstanding.

Diane,

Corkage was $25 on my last visit, no exceptions. The cocktail menu is nice. The glass list has improved.

As far as what to order…
The eggs and lobster bruschetta is an extremely popular item. I also like the charred red onion and goat cheese bruschetta.
I’ve loved the blue marlin crudo, but I see it is now a sole crudo with watermelon. I’d definitely try it.
For dry pasta the calamarata with raw tuna is a must.
For fresh pasta, the carbonara and the gnocchi with cauliflower and orange.
Contorni – roasted mushrooms.

You will like the cocktails at Ward 6. The charcuterie plate there is good. And, since you are in Minnesota, order the cheese curds. It is hard to go wrong at W6. And if you are there for an early dinner, you shouldn’t have much of a wait. If the wait seems too long, head north on Payne Avenue to Tongue in Cheek.

Thanks, Brad, and just what I am looking for. Have you had the veal ragu or pasta with braised rabbit? I wonder if the Gnocchi and cauliflower will work with red wine. Skip the secondi?

Diane,

The rabbit dish is a good one. Will go well with Barolo. The gnocchi might work with Barolo, but is better with white/orange wine. I can’t comment on the secondi. I’ve always stuck to the pasta. I’ve heard the chicken is good, however. And I’d be tempted by the blood sausage.

We had a terrific dinner at Bar La Grassa. Started with cocktails and shared the egg and lobster bruschetta 4 ways and it was rich and delicious and more than enough. We ordered 4 different 1/2 orders of pastas - braised rabbit, fresh tuna, veal ragu, and gnocchi with cauliflower. I was stuffed but we had ordered the pork ribs and Chanterelle mushrooms to be served after the pasta. Too much food but everything was good, I loved the spice in the tuna dish, and we brought home leftovers of everything. I switched a Pinot for the Barolo I intended to bring and the wine worked with all the dishes, including the gnocchi. Noise level was up there, but food and service made up for it.

Good to hear. Always special to hook up with the kids. I can never figure out the wine thing as its usually isn’t that important to them. Tend not to bring my best stuff but almost always something I admire and want to share.

Any current recommendations for a last minute dinner tonight in MSP? I have made a booking at Bar La Grassa based upon the above recos toting an older Brunello and Barbaresco along. But at $30/apiece for corkage, I’m a bit tentative.

(A search led me here…not sure why this is in ‘wine talk’)

We went to a Handsome Hog Wednesday night. Brisket, pork shank, and ribs were great. Didn’t bring wine because their cocktails are very good. They don’t take reservations. Spoon and Stable this past August was very good, but corkage is also $30 and the place needs a reservation well in advance. Wine service there was top notch.

I thought their corkage was $20? At least it was last time I was there. You aren’t going to find a lot of corkage friendly restaurants in the Twin Cities, the restaurant scene here is still behind the times a bit -

thanks to all the contributors in this thread; I’m going to The Corner Table tonight, and Alma tomorrow night – looking forward to both.

My first time to Minne [cheers.gif]

Does anyone have tips on the current dining scene in Minneapolis? Is there a must-visit spot you recommend? Any tips are much appreciated.

And is BYO allowed?

All the Minnesnowta liquor laws vary by city. BYO is allowed in Minneapolis; not sure who qualifies; probably someone without a (tightly controlled) liquor license. I’ve been to a couple of good BYO places in South Minneapolis along 50th Street, roughly 50th/Vincent (or 48th) and 50th/Bryant. Maybe some of the locals could elaborate. That was a few years ago, so maybe they are not even in business now.

We had great meals last summer at the Bachelor Farmer, Spoon and Stable and the Corner Table.

The Bachelor Farmer also has a great cafe which does lunch and breakfast. I ate there 3 times and loved it.

We’ll be in Minneapolis for several days next week and would appreciate any updates on the restaurant scene there. A good wine list would be appreciated.
Thanks.

St Genevieve

Spoon and Stable is wonderful as is Young Joni.

1 Like

Bumping as I’m going in april for a week for work - any updates to the Minneapolis wine/food scene? Thanks!

Def check out st Genevieve

1 Like