Rhys holdout support club

I think the key is to split the offering/allocation with a friend or 2 if you can. This way you stay on list, maybe move up to better wines from the maker, and don’t overspend and don’t end up with too much wine from one producer. Works for me these days.

I could not agree more. Well said.

As mentioned elsewhere I’ve stopped buying. Not because I don’t love the wines, but because I have a lot of them aging now and don’t have enough storage space.

It’s part of my general cutting back on wine purchasing. I’m sure other people will enjoy the wines as much as I would have.

31 days of no wine purchased and counting. My hope is to get down to a 500 bottle cellar within 2-3 years. At that point all the cases are on shelves and not on the floor.

There is no way I’d enjoy 3 bottles of Carlisle/release.

I don’t think I’ve ever taken my whole allocation from any winery, and sometimes even a 4 bottle minimum is hard to swallow. I’d likely be happiest buying two bottles of my favorite wine from the 5-6 mailing list wineries I just can’t pass up. I’ve been bailing on lists lately mostly for monetary reasons rather than lack of storage, but Rhys, W-S, Turley, L.F. and Ceritas continue to make the cut.

Now that my wife retired, I’ve been cutting back on purchases. I didn’t open the Carlisle and Rhys mailers. I peeked at the Sojourn mailer.

Maybach is coming, as is BerserkerDay. I’m trying to stay strong. I’d better stay strong, otherwise I may be sleeping in your spare bedroom.

Bring some Maybach and you can crash at my place. [drinkers.gif]

With Rhys I think you will be missing the wines and vines as hey begin to hit their stride quality wise. If I had over purchased earlier vintages I would very likely sell them to make room for the the current one.

I’m anxious to hear this answer… [head-bang.gif]
Also, Jeb - I ran into you the day you were moving into your new wine locker - how come we haven’t popped any corks together, yet?!

Just did a quick check on CT - including this release and past purchases, I have 70 bottles in inventory, not counting Alesia. You know how many I’ve actually consumed? 2 bottles. Now that’s faith!

Lumped in with so many others, just buying less bottles and being a little more selective. I’m looking at secondary market to find something I’d like here and there. It’s tough feeling that you know you want to try such and such wine this vintage or try a wineries new vineyard etc but then ultimately end up skipping it. Sometimes I wait until the last day to make an order and if the wine is still there then it’s meant to be. :slight_smile:

I’m thinking about going retro. In the last year I’ve had some amazing bottles of Arcadian, AuBonClimat and Calera.

Well, I have drank around 30 bottles and your faith is well placed.

While I agree the latest bottles from recent top vintages will probably develop greater heights than some earlier bottles, but as one who prizes ageworthy wines with age on them my vintages back to 06 will provide the maturity I desire sooner. So it is nice to have back vintages to sample to see a glimpse of how newer vintages will age.

While I agree the latest bottles from recent top vintages will probably develop greater heights than some earlier bottles, but as one who prizes ageworthy wines with age on them my vintages back to 06 will provide the maturity I desire sooner. So it is nice to have back vintages to sample to see a glimpse of how newer vintages will age.

Agreed. I’m not getting any younger. I’ve also stopped buying new release Burgundy.

I’m saying no to everything but asked not to be removed from various lists. Sometimes life demands that you put your money elsewhere. Once you take the plunge of austerity, each successive offering becomes easier to turn down when you remember the sky does not fal if you skip a release. Time to drink down some inventory.

I call bullshit on this post. If you don’t love it, don’t buy it and let others who do, do so.

But what if you do love it yet can’t afford to buy the whole allocation? Or have too much wine already to ever drink the whole allocation? Nothing wrong with sharing with a friend or two. I do it with a couple California wineries. Hell, one of them even ships separately to each of us! My friend pays the winery and I pay my share so we each get 3 bottles in the OWC.

Except very early on I have never bought my full allocation. I still get offered the good stuff, not just from Rhys (e.g. Skyline again this time) but from pretty much everyone.